-
Posts
5,005 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Hightower
-
Not really bothered about the comments made, no worse than what most lads would joke on about down the pub. As for Andy Gray getting sacked, I sure hope so - I can't stand the man.
-
Ah, but manc up here means dirty. Who'd want to buy 'dirty' software? No link what-so-ever to people from Manchester
-
Who'd want to buy Manc software?!
-
My two idea's both link to where you live. Something like somersoft, or minesoft.
-
asda - quite good for Mam cards. Had plenty of "Mam and Dad" cards to choose for Christmas too, so well impressed with asda
-
Yes, indeed. You have long hair right? How would you like it if I painted you with the hippy brush?
-
Oooooo, changing the input on the amp from PC to Video. Had one yesterday where teacher couldn't get sound on video, I went in, turned input selector and presto - sound on. "how did you do that?" "just changed the input" "well I tried that" "did you?! did you really try that? if you really tried that and it didn't work then i'm going to have to change my career to a magician"
-
Ah hah, but maybe I meant 'red herring' and people have been replying with the wrong answers all day. A red herring is a decoy basically, something that distracts. Maybe I wanted to know what the costliest distractions were in schools, such as giving each student a slate PC to do work but it distracts the user from actually doing their work....... ...... or maybe I just meant white elephant
-
And seeing the word Mum instead of Mam drives me nuts!!!!
-
Well, that was the scary part!
-
270 computers, 6 sites : how much time to support?
Hightower replied to kennysarmy's topic in How do you do....it?
Our shared tech does 5 schools, and that is at 1/2 per week to each school. He should be with us 2 1/2 days, but with the increased technology in primary schools he seems to be getting dragged longer and harder - poor soul -
When M$ announced support was finished mid-way through this year we were planning to go Vanilla. When they then turned round and said 2014 it filled me with joy (literally), and we will plan to keep it here until support is finished. If it ain't broke and all that
-
Having nightmares. Last night, it strangely involved tech_guy too. The part that involved tech_guy was he was coming to our NM meeting, but with him living down the country somewhere he needed a place to stay. I volunteered our IT office, and the next bit I remember was he was lying on a shelf (like the cheshire cat) demanding some wine. I didin't sleep last night, and instead ended up watching scrubs until 3am, so thanks for that tech_guy
-
Noted. Coloured holidays is already written, and the new version is moving away from the modal box for adding things, so that bug will be no more.
-
Just a quick side note for those miffed by voting systems. A good alternative I saw at BETT on the M$ stand - I think it's great for small numbers working round a table together. Learn More | Microsoft Mouse Mischief Free, and only requires a mouse for each student using it - effectively a voting system for pennies.
-
Nice implementation of BookIT. Major overhaul in progress though, and I'm pretty excited about the next version (coming soon)
-
And what I read was: boat muesli sky, or lolly tank from shovel yard?
-
I'm going to try and put two and two together here. Projector = classroom, but possibly computer room. Computer room = air conditioning, so my guess is something to do with the AC unit. What, I don't know as I don't know what comprises an AC unit. All I know about them is that they keep you cool.
-
Define: Red Herring any diversion intended to distract attention from the main issue White elephant might have been the one I was meaning, but red herring is quite fitting in some cases
-
Ah, video conferencing, how I'd forgotten about that. We heard £10k new as well, and when you tot up how many schools got it in our county alone it turns into mega mega bucks. Another one we had a while ago was we got a load of Samsung Q1's for use by certain pupils at home. The scheme lasted a year I think, but by the time we managed to get them all configured and parents in to sign AUP's etc the kids only had them for a couple of months. Now the scheme is over we have a load of Q1's sat doing nothing (a lot of them damaged anyway!). The feedback from the kids is they were rubbish anyway. EDIT: I think this is the one - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8449485.stm - if it is, that's £300million for nothing. What a waste of money. I imagine anybody can go pitch an idea to the head honcho's who put these scheme's into place, doesn't have to be well thought out either. If we totalled up crazy schemes like this then I doubt County Hall (in my area) would be laying off 16% of it's staff over the next four years.
-
Why did you put a mac suite in? (not bashing or nothing either, just curious why it was suggested/implemented)
-
What is the most expensive red herring at your school? Here, I would say collectively IWB's would come close but some teachers do use them properly so I would therefore have to say the class set of 32 voting pads that cost close to £9k (not our purchase!) and have only been out the box twice in 18 months.
-
Yeah, as tonyd has said, that doesn't sound like SSO to me. I've set many systems up for 'proper' SSO and none of them required me to know my staffs passwords.
-
Why can't you just set them up with a random password? Trying to hack their passwords doesn't sound too clever in my opinion, and could land you in a whole heap of trouble. I wouldn't even ask a member of staff for their passwords - a password is a personal thing. I'd be pretty miffed if I found out someone hacked my password out of the system.
-
[video] Human torpedo - check second lane from the left.
Hightower replied to mattx's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
A common cause for disqualification is crossing the 15 m line during the glide at the start or at the turn. British Olympic Association > Summer Sport > Swimming > Rules By that, it was a disqualification.
