Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. So do I..... BBS-WEB-001 - that must be hosting Joomla. BBS-VLE-001 - well, that's obviously an install of SharePoint. BBS-MIS-001 - that must be using CMIS right? Yeah, you can quickly see at a glance their rough jobs. But to actually know anything worth knowing about that server you're gonna need to see documention whether it's named in a structured format or not. XXX-SVR-001 may look nice and structured, but you don't know whether that's hosting our AV software, Lexia, which printers, users etc etc.
  2. We currently have XXX-SVR-001 etc. Might seem structured but would you know what that server does? Without documentation, whether we use structured names or not, you wouldn't have the foggiest.
  3. Just decided to call our new servers: DC1 - Thomas DC2 - Edward DC3 - Henry Management PC - SirTophamHatt NAS1 & NAS2 - Bill & Ben Media Server - Stepney (as our media server is an old SIMS server, brought back from retirement) ESX Server - Hank (biggest engine for the biggest server, hosting 8 vm's)
  4. Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 as the host, running Server 2008 R2 Std vm's
  5. Anyone care to explain how the square root of -1 = i
  6. Don't worry mate, I'll be your shoulder to cry on when he leaves the Villa to go somewhere for £90k a week
  7. We're far enough down the thread for people not to bump into it by accident so why not
  8. Remember off-site doesn't have to be at home. It can be in another seperate building if you have one, and would be better in terms of data protection done that way.
  9. I understand the logic with doing it all at the same time, but we are happy to stay with XP until we know the network runs smoothly. Then we can look at moving the machines with Win7 licences across to Win7 a room at a time. Will leave XP on the older machines (the ones without Win7 licences) until they are end of life anyway. I've been told by my colleague there's a lot of education software that doesn't work on Win7, so would prefer to leave this headache on the back burner for now, and also, won't have time to deliver staff training in Win7 etc etc. Just too much for one big sweep
  10. I know plenty of people who trust HDD backups - but I don't. Our solution here is Disk to Disk to Tape, so we have a backup on HDD to restore quickly (i.e. odd files here and there) and a backup on tape that can easily be archived and stored in remote locations. If you are thinking of HDD backups only, you need to look at having an offsite backup.
  11. And with Vanilla its just a case of deleting the contents of the profile folder isn't it, and the profile will be redownloaded from the template at logon? Is that right? Not planning Win7 yet - gonna be a big enough move as it is.
  12. That's what my answer would be
  13. @Webman - that's why I'm asking the question, because it does work well on CC3. I know I can still lock the desktop down with GPO and such, but does it provide an overhead or is it no different overhead to mandatory? Also, I'm concerned at the handful of 'profile resets' we need to do each day on CC3 - if we go roaming on Vanilla this may still be the case right, where as with mandatory these problems should be eliminated right? Cheers for all responses
  14. We're planning on using Hyper-V Server 2008 (as said, different to Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V) which is a free download and supports high availability as part of it. Yep, need some form of storage with CSV for the live migrations to happen.
  15. We use Joomla here, and I think it suits us, but Wordpress is VERY easy to use, and has some great plugins - perhaps take a look at that because there's great themes kicking about for it too.
  16. Happy Birthday. Hope your present consists of a end of season relegation battle and a broken leg for the greedy swine sleeping with Brucey's daughter EDIT: Was that me being bitter? Whoops (obviously not bitter to you Chr1s, bitter to the greedy swine and the idiot that is in charge at Villa. UTV!)
  17. Nope - could be right with the first, but not the second I would say.
  18. I started off by saying: Square Root = Root Root - 1 = Roo Then I started thinking it had something to do with Rhubarb Pie lol Went completely down the wrong track at first, but got there in the end.
  19. Agree with SteveJ's post. We're looking at having three Server 2008 vm's and have therefore just bought 3 x Server 2008 R2 Std licences @ £5x each. As for having a spare, it makes sense having fail over but I wouldn't necessarily have it doing nothing until it's needed. Can it not take the load of one of your vm's, and set up fail over between them so that if physical server 1 fails it moves over (live migration) to physical server 2? If physical server 2 fails the vm's live migrate over to physical server 1 and so on.
  20. Oh, and the Server 2008 book I'm currently reading states that you can only normally get Data Centre edition on certain bits of kit - apparently you can't buy it as a standalone product. Not sure how true this is though....
  21. Take a look at the educational pricing over at Ramesys: Product Categories
  22. Seems a bit strange having one server doing nothing but sitting waiting for a failure. Why not look into Hyper-V Server 2008 (different to Server 2008 with Hyper-V) - it's free to use, and I believe you just need a licence for each VM (so if you have 6 VM's all running Server 2008 R2 you will need 6 licences).
  23. Currently our users get a roaming profile as part of CC3, but I'm just wondering should we go mandatory on Vanilla? At the moment the kids can't touch their desktop (can't change wallpaper, save to it etc), and all profiles are much the same so should we just go mandatory and save the hassle of roaming? What do you suggest? EDIT: By the way, I just mean for students - staff will still be a roaming profile.
  24. You forgot the bingo as well. I was talking to my mate yesterday and we got on about his gran being 83. He said she's at the bingo twice a day, 7 days a week, but she's got all her buttons so it must do something for her. Can't forget the bingo!
  25. Can see them both, but the Batman one stands out more to me.
×
×
  • Create New...