Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. Sorry, should have said - it's XP The only option configured in the Desktop section of the GPO is the one that sets the wallpaper. The others are all Not Configured. It has to be something with the GPO - looks like I'm gonna have to disable them one by one unless someone has an idea?
  2. I'm just tweaking a few GPO's on our test network, and I've configured desktop wallpapers via GPO's for each user type. The staff GPO puts the wallpaper on fine, and it stays on, but the student GPO has a wallpaper when they first logon, then when the desktop loads it disappears, then when they logoff it comes back on during the logoff process. I've guessing it has something to do with the student GPO being a whole lot more restrictive than the staff one, but can't put my finger on which setting it might be that needs adjusting. Anybody come across this before?
  3. I can't see why you would want to run anything but the latest given a choice. 2003 might do a job, but 2008 has so much additional functionality it would be silly not to want to utilise it
  4. One of our printers has gone the way of the dinosaurs, and we have a few toners that are brand new and now no longer usable by us. My boss has set the prices, but make me an offer and I can always ask to see if the school will accept the offer. Thanks! Magenta Toner C4193A £45 Black Toner (x2) C4191A £35 ea
  5. We are starting out with the basics, but with a view to upgrade to high availability (automatic migrations in event of physical failure) and load balancing. ESXi was never an option to me because the licensing is far too confusing. As Bossman has said, about £400 a server with Xen and the job is a good 'un. No "you'll need two of these, one of these, a dozen of these etc etc". OT, but how do you utilise APC UPS's with Xen @Bossman?
  6. I really liked ESXi, but the licensing just frazzled my head. I looked at Hyper-V and was really excited about what it said it could do for nothing, but when it won't talk to my SAN after days of trying it's failed in my eyes. So I turned to Xen. First impressions are really good, and the licensing is easy/cheap to upgrade to have HA functionality. It's a winner so far in my eyes.
  7. We just bought a Dell MD3200i with 3 x 500GB drives in RAID 5, so we have about 930GB usable at the moment. 9 spare slots to increase capacity for future. Got an absolutely belting price from Dell Education for it. We only have it with 4 NIC's at the moment, on one controller, but you can get it with 2 controllers if desired. At the moment, while I'm configuring on my desk it is connected directly from Xen host to SAN. However, I plan to move this so we utilise the NICs so Port 0 goes through a different switch to port 1 etc. We're running only 2 VM's off it (for now), but both these are DC's/File Servers/Print Servers etc etc so will be very heavily used. Can't give you any feedback on performance though as only had the SAN a week, and it's only running 1 user/computer at the moment lol. Bossman has a good setup - might be best asking him
  8. Good good, how much did the fundamentals license cost per host? That will allow you HA won't it? Does it also include dynamic memory too?
  9. That's wicked - I'm some way off sorting out MSI's and images etc, but this will come in handy for when I get to that stage. It's good to be prepared
  10. The latest I believe - 5.6.1 FP1 or something along those lines
  11. Me and the missus quite often talk about work. Some Friday nights we turn the tele on, crack open the wine, and get talking about what has happened that week at work. Then we find it's midnight and can't remember anything from what has been playing in the background on the tele. Good stuff, wouldn't have it any other way. My missus is my best friend so if I can't vent to her, who can I vent to?!
  12. This article worked a treat: CTX120865 - How to Resize a Storage Repository after Changing the Size of an LVM-based Storage - Citrix Knowledge Center Followed the instructions for 5.5, and then rebooted the host. Can now see new sized LUN. Shame the VM's need to be down for the duration but all in all it only took about 10 minutes, and it's not like we're resizing LUN's every day is it
  13. Found an article on Xen forums which I'm trying now - will post up the link if it works.
  14. We have XenServer setup here, and the VM's are running from iSCSI SAN. The LUN the VHD's are on was only 100gb to get up and running. I installed the OS, and now happy that things are running I want more space on the LUN. So, I went in to the Dell Storage Manager for the SAN and gave the LUN more space. However, in Xen it still sees that the LUN only has 100gb, instead of the 300gb it should now have. Anybody got any ideas how I can get Xen to pick up the changes, preferably on the fly without having to turn off the VM's?
  15. Just a thought, but maybe it's not video editing. Maybe he has added something to the water to give it a thicker skin sort of, thus being able to hold it's shape but still looks like water?
  16. How does one go about removing access to the admin tools snap-in? GPO?
  17. I've created an MMC to allow users to change students passwords, and delegated it necessary etc. However, to run this MMC the machine needs the AD snap-in installed. What's the best way to install this on certain machines only (XP)? Can it be done using MSI?
  18. Cheers RandyJS, I've given up on Hyper-V for now. Installed XenServer and it's done everything I've asked of it at the first try. Talks to the SAN great too. It's taken me a morning to set up Xen, and two DC's - it took all day yesterday to fail at getting a SAN talking to Hyper-V.
  19. Just been emailed with a link to this video: http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv Apparently the aircraft runs on 4 x chainsaw engines to propel it, and has an underbody aeroplane that can be released mid-air and flown on it's own.
  20. Ask the EMBC take the filters out and install a Smoothy box - full control over the lot, and much easier than a second line.
  21. Yeah - picture is reversed would be my guess.
  22. I only tend to read posts with an interesting title. We're not MSA at the moment, and it's not my area so I tend not to read things like that. Was just asked to look into it by a colleague hence why I posted up.
  23. So can anyone tell me what kind of cost this could be for a school off 650 pupils and say 80 FT staff, compared to the way it used to work? I don't know how you would work it out so if you need more details let me know
  24. Just had a call from a supplier who claims that Microsoft Schools Agreement prices are now based on the number of full-time employees rather than users. Is there any truth to this, and if so how does it work?
  25. At the moment the charts seems like anyone can write a 4/4 beat, with a couple of strings and a voice done with auto-tune and you have a hit. British rock/alternative/pop has always been strong, it's just getting stronger in an R&B kind of genre now (which sounds terrible).
×
×
  • Create New...