Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. Now that's something I hadn't thought of. So you'd recommend a structure as follows on the server: \\servers\studentwork$\%username% \\servers\studentprofiles$\%username% \\servers\studentappdata$\%username%
  2. I'm looking into how my profiles are going to work on the new network, and I have reached a fork in the road. I know RM currently redirects its AppData to My Documents\My Settings\AppData which gets it out of the profile. Is this a good idea though, or a bad idea. I know there are positives and negatives to both options, but I want your opinion as a seasoned professional on which would be the better option. So, please vote - leave AppData in the profile (which is roaming I might add), or redirect it off to 'My Documents\My Settings' in a similar fashion to RM.
  3. And if you look out the left hand side of the aeroplane everybody, you'll see 1990
  4. I think you have a slight error in your batch file, del If Exist - not sure if it is an error, but that line is different to the others.
  5. First one is just what i was looking for, but the second one doesn't have an option to remove icons in the All Users folder.
  6. Anybody got any idea how I can: A) Hide the all the icons on the desktop except the ones in the redirected folder? B) Hide all start-->All Programs except the ones in the redirected folder? My redirections are working fine, just not sure how to hide all the other rubbish
  7. RM CC3 does a handy thing with shortcuts in Start->All Programs - it creates program sets (so you can have a 'DT' folder say, with all the shortcuts to DT software) but the shortcuts only appear in here if the MSI has actually been installed. Is this something that can be mimicked on a Vanilla network? If not, how do you all manage your shortcuts to software - I don't want a link to 2D Design if 2D Design is not installed if you know what I mean. Thanks,
  8. Many thanks for that. Did a search on eBay but came out with nothing. Passed link on for ordering
  9. Found this supplier: Promethean ActivPen 3 Interactive Whiteboard Pen - Promethean ActivPen 3 Interactive Whiteboard Pen
  10. We have an ActivBoard Pen that clicks on the board without actually clicking the pen (if that makes sense!). Basically, when the pen is moved towards the board it is clicking, when it should only be moving the mouse without clicking. It should only click when the pen is clicked. I've tried this pen on another board and it still does it, but a pen from another board works fine. So, my cheeky request is, does anyone have any ActivBoard Pens they no longer need and can spare? If you can't depart with them for nothing, please name your price.
  11. I have a tenner here that reckons you had a tear in your eye last night...
  12. And at that moment there they would have been deleted from my contacts list, and a sharp reply asking them to never contact me again.
  13. On the other hand though, these additional companies are getting the chance of a sale. If we didn't have to do the whole 3 quotes thing then we'd probably use a preferred supplier for IT purchases not even giving the other guys a look in. At least now, they might be shot down a lot of that time, but every once in a while they'll do a remarkable price and get a sale that they may not have gotten before. It's swings and round-abouts for me. It's all part of the business, but I will be honest with companies if they can't get close to the best price - the good companies normally bow out with "we can't get near that, but please keep us in mind for future purchases", and it's these companies I would get a quote from next time. The one's doing 3 or 4 quotes lowering each time I wouldn't touch with a clowns shoe.
  14. I would personally have all shares set to 'Everyone Full Control', and then do the wittling out with NTFS permissions on the folder level. Students shouldn't have any access to the staff drive, only read access to the resources drive, and write access over the submission drive. Staff wouldn't hurt having write access to all three.
  15. I don't have the source but I read a few places today that it was included with software assurance EDIT: Would this be what you are looking for? http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/faq.aspx
  16. You must have been living under a rock too then, because I've been complaining about the price of petrol for the last 2 years!
  17. I was hoping it was going to be free with S2008R2, but oh well, guess I'll have to give it a miss
  18. Hightower

    App-V Info?

    Hi all, Just trying to look into App-V (M$ product) but struggling to find any real info on it, especially on the licencing (is it free? is it free when a certain licence is held? etc). Any advice, and/or links to articles that may help would be appreciated - I have used the search function on here, and Googled a few different phrases but not finding much (well, found some things but nothing in layman's terms)
  19. Are you going through the same caches though?
  20. Just tried it, and it worked a treat: Cameyo forum - Always open this Program checkbox
  21. I went on the Cameyo forums on Friday, and I think I stumbled on a post that says the .virtual.exe can be opened with ResHack and a certain part removed/renamed thus disabling the tick box. Going to give it a go today
  22. Watch out, someone might give you neg rep for such a bold and opinionated post!
  23. I was under the impression that Windows 7 Pro has downgrade rights to Windows XP Pro - no VLK needed. EDIT: Linky
  24. When installing 4 packages to 1 Cameyo capture (Numeracy Workout 1-4) it does a great thing when the .exe is ran. It comes up with a menu saying "Which application do you want to open?" and a list of the 4 apps. However, it also has a check box saying "Load this application every time" which we do not want (as the kids will check it and thus stop the other three from being able to be loaded). Anybody got any idea how to remove this option from the Cameyo loader?
×
×
  • Create New...