Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ADMaster

Members
  • Posts

    1,402
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ADMaster

  1. it is not a language I recognize, in addition to the "l" in the hex he has a few mis-matched quotes and parentheses. I agree it looks like it is a joke / showing off. What was the file name and extension, the extension will give you a clue to what language he thought it was.
  2. If you are trying to deploy printers through group policy, I would look at GPP, group policy preferences. GPP is very flexible when you use item level targeting to specify an OU or security group etc. a few gotchas off the top of my head are; XP clients need a KB update to handle GPP, but most machines should have it by now. set point and print restrictions make sure your print processor is winprint raw.
  3. @shadowx Not to hijack your thread, but would you mind sharing this. I currently have a logon and log off script that write date/time username ip address mac address and computer name to a file. It does not flag anything and is pretty basic. I would like to look at your solution. Thanks
  4. Hello nicholab, You can set up google groups, this is similar to your distribution lists. If you install the gmail notifier I think you can set gmail as your default mail client.
  5. bulk AD users from wisesoft can use variables it might work. if the built in variables do not work, you can use the edit in excel option to split the field.
  6. try searching the registry for the old path, once you know where the path is stored you can try deleting it, or writing a script to modify it to the correct path. Of course take a back up of the relevant registry keys first, and work on a PC you don't mind re imaging
  7. We have a digital arts class that was working with windows movie maker and I had to enable offline cache on the share for it to work properly. Not sure what the exact setting is but I think it was in the advanced share properties on server 2008.
  8. format c: a re image is the surest way to get rid of the old domain, most policies are stored in HKLM\software\policies. I have deleted specific keys before and then did a gpupdate /force to fix some issues, don't know what would happen if you deleted the whole policies folder and then did a gpupdate.
  9. also consider balancing out your FSMO roles, if you only have one DC now, it will hold all of them. Consider transferring some of them to the new DC.
  10. Hello googlemad, do you have reverse lookup zones for all of your subnets? are you using secure updates? search the the event ID's
  11. It sounds like you have your answer now, but here is what I did. I have my deployment rules set up so that the only questions asked are what image, and hostname. This works for my environment because we have to handle each computer before imaging anyway. The database option does sound like the best long term solution for you.
  12. Hi burgemaster, In my experience it is best to go with the specific driver when possible. I have had strange errors and documents just not printing correctly when using the HP universal driver. In my setup the drivers are only installed during the first login after the printer is assigned, once they are installed they should not effect log in time.
  13. Hello all, I am evaluating server 2012 RDS. I have installed the RDS quick setup with sessions. I do not have a 2012 DC or GPMC, I wouldn’t think this would be a 2012 / w8 specific policy. When a user logs on the event viewer indicates all folder redirection policies were applied correctly. Even with a new user server 2012 creates the my documents and desktop folders in the users home directory. The desktop redirection works fine, however the my documents redirection does not show up in the documents library. Any suggestions? Thank you,
  14. I have similar issues; I tweaked a few settings this week so we will see how they work. Here are the ones to check, Always wait for network before logon, this will have the computer wait for the network before it lets you log on. Setup your wireless via gpo I think this is under computer settings windows security. Setup your wireless to use computer authentication only and forget the user authentication. I say this because if you are troubleshooting and have to login as local admin you cannot connect because you are not authenticated to AD. The policy I changed this week was start up policy processing wait time under system/group policy. It tells group policy how long to wait for a network connection. I will have to wait and see how this change works in my environment, but before I made this change a gpupdate /force would fix the problem. Of course I am trying to get to the root cause so I don’t have to do that.
  15. I don’t have a script for you, but once this is done it is a set and forget. Look into the archive command. Use the Cisco IOS archive command to archive your router's configuration | TechRepublic I have mine configured to ssh to a linux box with a folder for each switch. Each time I save the configuration, a copy is archived to the linux box. Another trick to make your work faster is to copy the commands into notepad as you setup the first switch the once you are logged into the next one just copy and paste. Each switch will only take a few seconds. Hope this helps
  16. On the print server where they are shared, go to the advanced tab and set the print processes to winprint raw. Look at the event log and see if you get any errors, if the event log says that the print processor is not supported, this setting will fix it. Also you have not mentioned what your server and client OS's are, if XP you will need the client side extensions installed. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3628
  17. May I suggest you consider group policy preferences with item level targeting? I have a policy called gp prefs computer linked at the top level of my domain with all the printers. I use item level targeting to specify which printer goes to what room based on OU. Item level targeting will let you do a lot more then OU though, individual computer, security group, ip range etc etc. Here is a post about it on windows networking. Group Policy Preferences: Top 5 Item-Level Targeting Options
  18. I'm not sure what your asking, is the local admin a default local admin, a local account you've created , or a domain user or group. It looks like you are trying to add a domain group to the local admins group. If you are on a subnet that cannot communicate with the rest of the network when you image the machine, then it cannot get the information to add the domain group. Look at setting the local admin group via group policy then when you join the domain the group will show up as part of the group policies. Using Restricted Groups
  19. Printers You can set permissions on the security tab if you are truly sharing it and not setting it up as a local IP printer, this should work in a work group too. If it is a newer network printer and you do install as a local ip printer, you should be able to restrict IP’s in the web interface. Update Policies As Steve mentioned for policies you can deploy reg keys, I think the first policy I would configure this way is WSUS. I know exporting the keys from a pro machine and importing them into a home machine worked on XP and don’t see any reason it shouldn’t work in W7. This will give you the windows updates. Software Deployment / Updates For software updates I have two solutions, the crude and cheapest solution is psexec. You can use it to copy and silently install software just like a GPO or sccm would. I used to do this until I found PDQ Deploy. Second method for deploying software is to use PDQ Deploy. I use it in a domain environment but I think it works with a workgroup too. They have a free version and a pro mode, but the price is very reasonable and well worth the cost. PDQ inventory is great too. PDQ Deploy - Features
  20. @jralph Looking back the reason I had permissions trouble is because I removed the users group from permissions at the root of the drive because I didn’t want them getting at installer files etc. In your case I would do as @atamakosi suggests and give them read and execute on the levels above until you get it working properly, then look at locking it down further. I have attached a screen shot of the permissions I have set. The two things in my notes are this. The user has to be able to traverse the whole path for some applications to save properly, ms word in this case. Advanced share permissions allow caching must be set to allow for movie maker to work. I didn’t move my users files because I made the change near the beginning of the year. There were a few questions of “where are my files?” but most people were OK. Our students were in the habit of navigating to my computer then S: any way so one more folder wasn’t an issue. In my environment the students home drive is S: which is mapped to \\server\students\year\username Then my documents are mapped to \\server\students\year\username\documents I have also attached a screen shot of my group policy redirection, every student is put into a security group of their year group, this is the group used when mapping the documents. Regards
  21. I would need to know more about how your profiles are setup, but my guess is a combination of desktop ini and file permissions. If you have folder redirection setup so that my documents redirects to their home drive then the server wants to make the home folder show as documents and things do not map right. To fix this redirect their documents to a sub folder of their home drive \\server\students\year\username\documents Look at the permissions if they don't have permission to traverse the whole path then it won't map correctly either. I saved a screen shot of proper permissions on my documentation wiki, I will have to look it up and post it here tomorrow.
  22. You could also set the service failure action to restart so the server will restart the service for you.
  23. try a start up script or pushing out the script with your favorite deployment method Schtasks: Management Services
  24. I use last name first initial last for of student ID John Smith ID# 268934 smithj8934 My script handles this for me too. I have not had a duplicate with students yet. I try to keep staff first name underscore last initial John_s I have had a few duplicates here and either add a second letter or spell it out depending on user's preference / length of their name.
  25. Yes I have PXElinux on the WDS server so when a machine netboots I can choose between Thinstation WDS and Gparted. I will look into geting it to boot awindows 7 install directly but didn't know if there were any task sequences or commands I could run from the WDS PE environment. If I cancel the image selection I get a command prompt. I've found tools to fix the MBR and cnkdisk. Is there a way to launch this startup repair from there? Thanks,
×
×
  • Create New...