Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ADMaster

Members
  • Posts

    1,402
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ADMaster

  1. I use WebHelpDesk by Solarwinds. Very customizable for ticket categories, ticket statuses etc. accepts tickets via email, or users can login with their AD credentials. Can set it up to nag the user if they don’t respond to a ticket. Has asset tracking and FAQ, in the most recent version it can pull assets from SCCM. I’ve not got that setup yet. I’ve just started adding in my purchases and warranty info for assets. It has a status dashboard, reporting, calendar etc. it doesn’t have an android app, but the HTML mobile version of the site works fine. When I was shopping for a helpdesk a few years ago it came down to this this or Sysaid. The deciding factors were it’s a US company and it is what the LEA uses, so I’d have support their if needed. The biggest con is it is priced per tech, but I think that is most systems. Some of the great GPL options now available either were not available then or were not mature enough.
  2. My LEA has lightspeed with a tier setup for each member school. Sometimes I wish I had a bit more control as a tier admin but over all very nice product. I am certain it is an appliance, but can’t speak on pricing or anything as it is at the LEA.
  3. I did an in place upgrade from 2012 SP1 to 2012 R2 with no problems. I don’t use it for imaging yet, and I’ve not upgraded MDT yet though. I was sure to take a full system backup beforehand, but the whole process was painless.
  4. Interesting point SolidChrome, and welcome to the forums. I can’t speak for the UK but here in the US I wonder how many people actually know what they pay in taxes. Our income tax is deducted from our pay so there is not a separate tax bill. I think businesses have to pay tax quarterly, if individuals did that they would be more aware of the costs. Now in my case I use budget management software on the computer and input those numbers. My income tax bill his higher than my auto bill, monthly. There have been a few folks run for president that wanted to abolish the IRS and income tax, go to a flat tax 13% I think. However they were independent or third party candidates.
  5. @nephilim We must have a misunderstanding somewhere, I am not advocating communism at all. Communism simply defined is a government structure in which the government owns everything, no private property. If you took the first sentence of my last post as government owning everything, apologies that is not the case. I only meant for the sake of this discussion forget businesses, because I’ve not fully thought out how a fair business tax would work. I am for capitalism, the tax structure I suggest would allow for personal success and not punish it, that is not communism. As you say there will always be loop holes in any system. We may have to agree to disagree. Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread.
  6. I still believe that things would balance out. Forget about the business tax for a moment, ideally all of those loop holes would be closed. Let’s focus on the individuals tax. First the government should balance the books better and not spend what they don’t have, much like us individuals must do. Second the money that will be lost because the footballers will not pay as much will be made up for in other avenues. The organized crime rings / drug rings who spend their money on the latest because they don’t want that much cash lying around, and a deposit like that at the bank would be suspicious. Free lancers that do side jobs or individuals, some may report properly some will not. Folks that work for cash only because if they were on the books it would interfere with their benefits. Your 1.5% of people on benefits not working, that can afford to get their kids the latest phones and TV’s etc. Illegal aliens that are not paying income tax because they are not a citizen and working for a company that will pay them cash off the books. Tourism, visitors to your country that otherwise wouldn’t pay income tax would pay sales tax. All of these additional streams of tax revenue would be picked up if the tax was sales only. Finally as others have said I too look for local first, I like to save money, but something made here is my preference over something made abroad.
  7. Yes there may be fluctuation in tax revenue to begin with, but I think it would stabilize. Similar to how folks on all the benefits don’t have much incentive to work because they can make more money than someone with a low paying job. What is the incentive for someone to be a successful entrepreneur? That person progressively pays a higher tax rate based on how much profit they make. A low paid worker may pay 15% and a very high paid owner may pay 30%. In my opinion this is unfair. Let’s say the low paid worker makes $10,000 @ 15% tax is $1,500 And the high paid owner makes $100,000 @ 30% tax is $30,000 If the owner paid just 15% too that would be $15,000 Still ten times more than the low paid worker, but the same rate. That is the nature of percentages. Now the owner has an extra $15,000 he could hire a new worker, give the current workers a raise, reinvest in his shop etc. A progressive income tax only punishes success. The flat sales tax is aimed at individuals, I’m not sure how you would tax a business with this model, but I’m sure there is something out there better than all the loop holes we have now.
  8. I’d say our tax system over here is complex and full of loop holes. I too fall in the make too much for full benefits, but not enough to make it on one income. We are $17 trillion in debt and I get back more money on tax returns then I pay in. If I’m not mistaken your VAT is similar to our sales tax. In place of a very complex tax code I’d like to see a tax code fit on one page. A flat XX% sales tax. No income tax, no property tax etc. I think this is the fairest tax for all. If the rich want to spend $$ on shiny things they pay flat %. If I want to save my money I don’t pay. Someone who works for cash to avoid income tax will now pay based on what they spend. All the drug dealers who spend their ill-gotten gains on the latest things will now pay tax just like everyone else.
  9. Thanks, I overlooked that.
  10. I did a fresh install of enterprise x64 from VLSC into a VM. There was no option to setup a local account. I had to use my Microsoft account, then receive a security code on my mobile. This is unacceptable for an enterprise version. Does anyone know if I install with MDT will it bypass this BS. EDIT: this default yellow desktop is horrid. Thanks,
  11. How much would it cost to ship one this way? You can never have enough coffee mugs.
  12. Here is a bit of info for you, but I think you have covered all these options. Configuring DHCP and WDS | Networking content from Windows IT Pro
  13. I don’t have option 66 or 67 set in my DHCP and it works fine. Also is your WDS running on the same machine as DHCP. There is a tick box that needs ticking if you are.
  14. Hello, Try enabling option 60 PXEClient on one of the DHCP scopes.
  15. ADMaster

    Net Send?

    Yes msg replaced net send, what are you trying to accomplish with it?
  16. Out of curiosity what policies apply to XP but not 7? Thanks,
  17. If tftp is required I go with tftp32 as well. However do HP switches support http. I found out this summer my ciscos support http similar to tftp Archive download-sw http://myip/update.tar For this I used HFS
  18. Solarwinds is a big name in network and application monitoring not sure if they have any cloud solutions or not. But it has a web interface so you can access it from anywhere provided you open the firewall. Microsoft offers cloud based management and monitoring called windows intune. And for a freebie Opsview is a nice interface for nagios. They have a community and enterprise edition.
  19. Thread necromancer, but since it your own thread… I’m trying to do something similar, we have Webhelpdesk by SW formerly mac design. It is free for one tech and has a FAQ section that you can set each entry to tech or everyone. If you want a KB seperage from the ticketing system try Tikiwiki it has a very granular permissions system and you may be able to achieve your goal with it.
  20. I've not tested this my self but if you apply a user policy at the domain level I think it will apply to the Administrator too. Try applying your user policies on user OU's Just remember LSDOU
  21. I thought you had to me an Admin to tick that box. I'm not at a computer I can check at the moment.
  22. I probably have close to 50 vlans but I like it. The folks the designed it did it similar to that of @Duke5A ‘s setup. Each data closet gets its own data vlan Each buildings wireless, hvac, and ip cameras get their own vlans Switch management in a vlan Servers in a vlan Voip vlan Several wireless vlans based on guest student staff etc. The idea behind this design in addition to separation of services is troubleshooting. I can look at an IP and find out what building and what data closet. In hind sight there are a few changes I would make, but it’s not worth the hassle now. The HVAC as a /24 vlan in each building and only 2 or 3 devices in it, that could have been spanned across the district. Wireless management could have been spanned across the district (maybe?) Some of the larger data closets have two /24’s with no consistency of which port is on what vlan. I have two computer labs that some pc’s are on one vlan and some on another. At some point I need to convert those to a /23 Another benefit of multiple data vlans is when the time coms I’ll be able to setup filtering per building based on their IP. As others have said someone set them up for a reason so find out what they are all for before you change anything.
  23. Kol, the way I read that is that your records will not scavenge for 90 days. The article @apeman linked to is a good read a covers a lot. However if you have a different dhcp lease time you will want to adjust scavenging accordingly. All of our teachers have laptops so I like my scavenging to be a bit aggressive. There is nothing worse than opening your admin console of choice and then connect to the wrong machine because dns and dhcp are out of sorts.
  24. Cisco 1142’s on a 5508 controller and they authenticate against Cisco ACS join to AD. I’d like to rule out the wireless its self as an issue because the same profile works for ipads and I can connect my android phone to the wireless just fine as well. I have a similar profile in the GAFE console for the chromebooks that works too. One thing I have noticed is meraki doesn’t ask what phase 2 / inner protocol should be. The device acts like it doesn’t know about the profile and prompts for all the needed information to connect. Thanks,
  25. Hello all, I’ve been using Meraki for IOS profiles and it is successfully pushing out wifi profiles to the ipads. I have a set of Galaxy tab 2’s and the meraki app says they received the profile, but I am still prompted for credentials when I attempt to connect. The ssid is secured with wpa2 enterprise the profile is set to use Peap the same as the ipads. I updated the device to the latest software android 4.2.2. Anyone else using meraki to manage android wifi settings or have another solution? Thank you,
×
×
  • Create New...