Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ADMaster

Members
  • Posts

    1,402
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ADMaster

  1. The MDT database is backed by sql. If the Sql server is separate from MDT and not changing just connect the new MDT server to the existing database. If the sql server is moving as well, it would be an sql backup and restored onto new server. Then connect MDT to the restored database. Cheers,
  2. Ah the browser wars. I’ve used Firefox for years with no plans to switch. I like chrome and it is my preferred browser for the school as we are GAFE school. However firefox and IE are the only browsers with some adons I need. Given that choice I chose Firefox. I biggest complaint about it is the memory usage, but that blog post summed it well. Yes I briefly used that MSN browser, mainly because it was something different.
  3. Hello, I’ve no experience with RM but here goes. Try adding Exit 0 To the end of your batch file. The script should always return successful, the only down side is you really won’t know if there is an error. Does RM have a way to check if the software was removed, use that as validation if it does. Cheers.
  4. Sorry, but I’m going to hijack this since @LosOjos likes to spec PC’s I’m looking at upgrading one of the computer suites this summer. I’m looking at all in one’s This suite is primarily used to teach Office. My thought is at least 4GB 8GB if the price is right At least I3 and I5 if the price is right. A bit of price shopping turns up an I3 4GB for $700 and an extra 4GB for $70 if I install it. An all in one with 8GB pre-installed is $1000 + and an I7 One of my suppliers asked if I wanted SSD so I asked for a quote on each. Do these sound like good specs for the purpose? Thanks,
  5. I like text aloud by nextup.com
  6. I stick them directly into global. I have a lot of groups to manage many different things, I created an OU just to put the groups in. The basic Staff, student groups, then I have groups broken out by year group for students and building for staff. I also have computer groups broken out by OU and OS. I then have a number of smaller groups such as color printer, student password policy, math, etc. In one of my schools there is a group for each grade level, and department. Many of these groups are synced with GAFE so they double as email lists, particularly the department / grade level groups. I use GPP targeting to deploy printers, the larger MFP’s everyone gets, but for smaller printers I target a group, then add users or computers to the group vs updating the policy. The password policy is used to allow younger students to have a weaker password, I just nest the appropriate year group groups into that group. The OS and OU groups are used for SCCM. You need to think of what resources you need to control / or provide access to and how granular of control you need / want. The majority of my groups are email, or used to target settings / policies. To directly answer your second question, I think I only have four groups setup for NTFS permissions access. Staff, Students, Fiscal, and Food Service. Cheers
  7. There are patches required to support Office 2013 and server 2012 have you applied those? However I kept getting the same errors as you and switched to active directory activation for server 2012 and office 2013. The KMS still works great for windows 7 and office 2010. Yes you can use VAMT and KMS together, when you scan your network for clients and chose activate, you have the option of installing a key or using volume activation (KMS). I scan the network once in a while to find clients that haven’t checked in for a while and force an activation with VAMT. Not the answer you wanted, but it will get them activated.
  8. Thanks for all the suggestions. Naturally I went to see the user yesterday and all is well again even in IE. I think if / when it happens again my first check will be the software rendering.
  9. No roaming profiles here. She is a receptionist so has an all in one desktop. It's not really feasible to move her to another station. I could back up her documents (because you know they're on the network where they should be) and re create her local profile. But I'd prefer that be a last resort. It would be easier to troubleshoot if it was consistent. Today she told me it happened after she clicked a drop down list on the site. When I'm looking at the screen and ask her to show me, it worked fine.
  10. Hello, I have one user’s PC that webpages will go black. She is using windows 7 and IE10. The content area of the page is black but the menu, address bar, and taskbar are all fine. She can minimize and the desktop is fine. I was able to close IE and reopen and it seemed to work for me. I have asked her to use chrome for now. This has happened to her two days in a row. Everything I found on the subject seems to indicate a problem with NVidia graphics drivers however this PC has integrated Intel HD graphics. It has only happened on a few sites, but is not consistently reproducible. Any suggestions on troubleshooting this one? Thanks,
  11. I’m not familiar with that gear, but can the two vlans route between each other. Your dhcp server is in a different subnet, but you do not provide that subnet / vlans configuration. Some switches you have to tag what vlans are allowed on the trunk port. If you go to vlan 60 or set yourself a static IP in the 10.101.60.0/24 range can you access dns then? With this being a new server install verify that the IP subnet is correct. When you enter an IP in the 10.x range it defaults it 255.0.0.0 or /8 you need 255.255.255.0 or /24 with the config you referenced above. Can other vlans access the dns server? If no other vlans can use dns see if the service is running or if there is any errors in event log. Also this is probably not the case with the no logon servers, but… Can your clients access the dns server but the dns server is not configured for forward the request? So effectively they do not have DNS. Nslookup is your friend, Cheers
  12. Hello, If you go the paper cut route you’ll need to move to the shared model, otherwise paper cut cannot control the jobs. I can’t speak about it too much because we do not have it yet. We are looking at it to help manage printing costs. Finance has signed off on it I’m just waiting on implementation. My district is 1/10th your size and I’d consider paper cut for cost management alone. The first thing you should do is talk to district and standardize on the shared model. Direct IP cannot be managed with permissions or paper cut. Good luck
  13. Hello, It depends on how savvy the students are. There are a few ways to do this without extra software (sort of), not a password per se. Deploy your printers to the users not the computer via GPP. if the printers are share vs direct IP set permissions on the print server. If they are direct IP I would consider changing that model and restrict printing from the print server IP only, then apply said permissions.
  14. Hello, I try to pay attention to app permissions, and this update wants access to my accounts. I’m not sure what the need is for this as we do not use any kind of SSO on the site. This would be the android app on my GS3 Thanks,
  15. FTB is Feed the Beast. It is a custom launcher for minecraft with mod packs. The good folks at FTB have packaged up a lot of useful mods into one easy download vs you manually downloading each mod or modifying the minecraft jar file. FTB is no additional cost, you sign in with your mojang credentials. The mods add a lot of extra functionality to the game with different machines to automate processes. I’d say my favorite mods to get started with are Thermal expansion (TE) and applied energistis (AE) AE in my opinion has the best storage and auto crafting system. TE has great all round functionality. Open blocks and extra utilities are great too. This is the wiki page listing all the mods that we use on this server. Direwolf20 1.6 Pack - Feed The Beast Wiki The creator of this mod pack Direwolf20 does mod spotlights demonstrating how they work. The best way to learn is to read the wiki, watch youtube, and try it out for yourself.
  16. I agree I popped over to your base, cj’s and Az’s. While at Az’s I moved about a block every second or two. I used /spawn as well. I’ve noticed my TE and AE systems taking much longer to process and when I break blocks they pop right back in. I have to break them about three times. Then it takes a few seconds to pick up the drop.
  17. I think it did more than reboot. I can ping the IP but Minecraft says it cannot be reached. I can also bring up the webpage of the map, but it doesn’t render it is all black.
  18. back online
  19. FYI the server went down a few minutes ago. If your provider needs or wants details I'd say about 21:45 UTC That is providing that it is not just me. Thanks,
  20. I was killed by creepers my first night. I now have a nice base with machines, and I can fly too
  21. Not to defend Google, because I am certainly not a fan of them mining our students’ data. However here is an article saying that safegov is nothing more than a smear campaign by Microsoft targeting Google. Google's FTC Settlement Is An Epic Fail For Microsoft – ReadWrite
  22. Well, I know there are mobs, a creeper found me.
  23. What are the server settings? PVP Mobs difficulty etc This will be my first time on a server not my own. Thanks,
  24. Sorry I'm Cisco here.
  25. Hi tj, There are a few tools out there to monitor your whole network and give you nice bandwidth graphs. Nagios, cacti, the dude, opsview, mrtg just to name a few free ones. These tools should also be able to monitor for packet loss and interface errors. Depending on what switches you have you can log in and check all of these stats in the switch interface. Some switches also allow you to do a cable diagnostics from the switch, you may have a faulty cable in the path. Cheers
×
×
  • Create New...