bknaggs
Members-
Posts
465 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by bknaggs
-
MDM Installation/Updating of MS Word iPad
bknaggs replied to bknaggs's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Cheers. I noticed just before finishing today that it appeared to be fixed but didn’t have enough time to check any of the devices that were failing the other day. -
Has anyone else been able to push a fresh installation or an update of the iOS version of Microsoft Word recently? I was setting up a couple of iPads yesterday and couldn't get Word to install and then today I've tried pushing the latest update (to 2.1.7) and I'm getting the same error message. The text of the message say Unable to Download App. "Microsoft Word" could not be downloaded at this time with a Done and Retry button. iOS version is a combination of 11.4, 11.4.1 and the latest 12 beta. MDM is Lightspeed. Every other app I've tried to update or install has gone on without any problems.
-
Suppressing "Finish Setting Up iPad" (Apple Pay) nag messages?
bknaggs replied to Cazale's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Try disabling Wallet in the iCloud settings for the Apple ID -
I couldn’t get any shortcuts showing that weren’t being pulled from the all users start menu. Any tiles pointing at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft... worked fine but anything pointing at \\whatever\shortcut just didn’t. I’ve not looked at it for a while though as we went with Classic Shell in the end.
-
@_techie_ Do you use roaming profiles in your network? I found that since moving everyone to local profiles I've not had any reports of explorer freezes and I've not made any changes to my Classic Shell configuration.
-
Might be worth trying a local user account too to rule out any user group policies.
-
Wow. Wasn’t expecting it to be that. Sorry never seen anything like that. Plenty of Windows 10 freezing only becoming apparent when closing a program. Is it every time anyone closes Word or just certain PCs/users?
-
Locks as in can’t bring up the Start Menu, switch between apps on the taskbar or something else?
-
Which model are you having problems with? Ours was a batch of Esprimo E3521 specifically with rev 03 power supplies. The power supplies from the previous years model were rev 01 and are still working fine.
-
Ours were Fujitsus.
-
We had this problem with a batch of PCs and it turned out to be the power supplies.
-
Startup script to write PC name and windows version to a text file?
-
How to save Chrome bookmarks on local profiles rather than roaming?
bknaggs replied to talksr's topic in Windows 10
The settings you're after are in the top level of the Google Chrome section. -
How to save Chrome bookmarks on local profiles rather than roaming?
bknaggs replied to talksr's topic in Windows 10
@talksr that sounds like you need to update your Chrome policy definitions - get them from here https://enterprise.google.com/chrome/chrome-browser/ If you're using redirected appdata you don't need to bother with the login/logoff scripts as the settings will roam anyway and don't need copying outside of that. But my logout script does the following for Chrome robocopy "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Google\Chrome\Profile\Default" "\\SERVER\%username%$\ProfileBackup\Chrome" *.pb Login does this robocopy "\\SERVER\%username%$\ProfileBackup\Chrome" "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Google\Chrome\Profile\Default" *.pb -
How to save Chrome bookmarks on local profiles rather than roaming?
bknaggs replied to talksr's topic in Windows 10
I set the roaming profile directory to ${roaming_app_data}\Google\Chrome\Profile and the User data directory to ${local_app_data}\Google\Chrome\User Data (I don't think this needs to be set as Chrome default to using the local profile anyway). The roaming profile directory needs the setting Enable the creation of roaming copies for Google Chrome profile data to be set to Enabled in order to work. If you're using redirected appdata then setting the roaming profile directory as I've done will copy it into the redirected folder. I've moved everyone here to fully local profiles with no redirection but run a script on logout to copy certain things out of the local Windows profile into a profile backup folder. An equivalent script runs on login to copy the files back into the local profile. @Katy I've not come across a way to stop the warning message about the profile being stored on a network location. -
How to save Chrome bookmarks on local profiles rather than roaming?
bknaggs replied to talksr's topic in Windows 10
There is a group policy setting that makes Chrome save settings into a profile.pb file. I'm not sure if I've set it to save into the roaming part of the profile or if that is where it saves by default but it doesn't matter. I run a login script that copies this file from the user's documents and puts it into the correct place in the profile and then a logout script to copy it from the profile into the documents. It appears to be roaming quite nicely. Usual caveat of last save wins so if somebody has logged in more than once there is a risk they'll lose any changes they've made in a different session. I can have a look at the specifics of the policy if you want but it won't be until tomorrow. -
Work out a list of programs/system tools you don't want students running and explicitly block them. That way it doesn't matter if they are bringing in a USB with shortcuts on they won't launch the exe they point to.
-
Can you restrict access to the location where the shortcuts are stored if you don't want students accessing them?
-
[Azure MDM] iOS - Disable Save Passwords in Google Chrome
bknaggs replied to CHiLL's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
The app configuration uses a plist configuration file. The options available for Chrome can be found here https://www.chromium.org/administrators/ios-mdm-policy-format -
Photoshop CC crashes for just the Media Teacher on 1703 & 1709
bknaggs replied to chrisjako's topic in Windows 10
I know you say no roaming profile but what about appdata redirection? I had to disable appdata redirection when we moved from CS6 to CC because of crashes like this and we are using 1703. For us either a fully roaming profile or a fully local profile work fine. -
Microsoft Office for iOS - Old ipa file for iOS 9.3.5
bknaggs replied to mattpant's topic in Office Software
You want version 2.5. -
Lightspeed, how do i create a group?
bknaggs replied to 2ilent8cho's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Through the menu option in the top right hand corner that is shown as 9 squares there is a contacts card icon. That should take you here https://launch.lightspeedsystems.com/admin/users where if you click on Admin Tools you should see an option for groups. -
Exam users with Internet blocked apart from one site
bknaggs replied to TMBS's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Point to a non existant proxy and have the allowed site set to bypass the proxy?
