-
Posts
288 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jmcdermott
-
Thumbs up to ICT-Direct also, Dave has always served us well great items and great advise. I have also used http://www.bist.co.uk which have given me some amazing deals on refurb kit, with speedy delivery and great support, Steven Russel is the man to speak to there.
-
Best way to grant access to fileserver remotely?
jmcdermott replied to Sonic007's topic in How do you do....it?
I second Microsoft VPN, easy to setup, fast and reliable. -
Onsite web filtering replacement
jmcdermott replied to jslate1980's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Any rough prices on Sophos UTM without being contacted by one of there sales teams? -
Moving from Smoothwall? Alternatives?
jmcdermott replied to JRA's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I have been using https://www.diladele.com/ combined with a DNS filter here with no problems. Price is excellent, easy to setup reports could be a little better but do work. -
School Websites - what do people do?
jmcdermott replied to mikes's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
We hosted joomla ourselves for a few years then moved to wordpress which we designed the template ourselves. Now we have moved our wordpress to 123reg hosted platform, taking into the account bandwidth usage/powercosts for a 24/7 running machine, and reliability it just makes sense to host it else where. Backing up is a little trickier on the hosted solution. -
$filesFolder = "files" $outputFile = "output.txt" $files = Get-ChildItem $filesFolder for ($i=0; $i -lt $files.Count; $i++) { $currentFile = $filesFolder + "" + $files[$i] foreach ($text in get-content $currentFile){ if ($text.Length -gt 6){ if ($text.Substring(0,6) -eq "From: "){ Add-Content $outputFile $text } } } }
-
+1 for chromebooks.
-
"I thank you" been busy and caught the post late and thought why not. John
-
Very strange, I am afraid that is the end of my ideas on the subject. The only other thing I can think of is NFS shares being setup but I don't think that is the case here.
-
That can be prevented by changing 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\AutoShareWks' to 0 if my memory does not fail me. If NTFS is the issue and you have removed 'everyone' it should all work as expected. Can you create files on the root of the share?
-
Are you refereeing to share permissions or NTFS permissions? I suspect you are looking at the admin share permissions which you chould be able to overwrite with ntfs permissions. Or from and elevated command prompt run 'net share g$ /delete' which should just remove the share.
-
Best way to backup a SIMS server...
jmcdermott replied to RJohnson91's topic in How do you do....it?
Since having ransom where on adsoft drive from a staff laptop about a year ago I got a little paranoid and now have a VM on my laptop which I boot up every morning, which then runs a script which syncs the docstorage + adsoft folder, and imports the database backups from the previous night. In a worst case scenario I could simply point all users to the VM on my laptop we would be back up and running. Happy to provide a copy of my restore script if anyone wants it. -
I use duplicati from our primary schools, with an encrypted incremental backup to an owncloud install on an old server box located in my academy. It works very well and have no problems with it.
-
Works for me on 10 pro + edu + ltsd 32/64 bit.
-
Not sure if it will help but we have the following and do not see the credential page: OSInstall=Y SkipCapture=YES SkipAdminPassword=YES SkipProductKey=YES SkipComputerBackup=YES SkipBitLocker=YES SkipComputerName=NO SkipDomainMembership=YES SkipUserData=YES DoCapture=NO SkipLocaleSelection=YES SkipTaskSequence=NO SkipTimeZone=YES SkipRoles=YES SkipApplications=NO SkipSummary=YES SkipBDDWelcome=YES TimeZone=085 TimeZoneName=GMT Standard Time EventService=http://*redacted*-03:9800 JoinDomain=*redacted* DomainAdmin=*redacted* DomainAdminDomain=*redacted* DomainAdminPassword=*redacted* bootstrap.ini [settings] Priority=Default [Default] DeployRoot=\\*redacted*\DeploymentShare$ UserID=administrator UserDomain=*redacted* UserPassword= KeyboardLocale=en-GB SkipBDDWelcome=YES
-
Please vote for this change in Google Team drive
jmcdermott replied to FN-GM's topic in Cloud Services
Voted for both. -
I changed mine about 15 years ago, it was as simple as everyone says, fill out the forms then send copies to everyone that needs to know, from then on you just use the new name.
-
using ownCloud + Duplicati from my primary schools to backup to me, working as an encrypted incremental backup, and are both free.
-
Windows 10 Start Menu Icons inactive/unclickable on first logon.
jmcdermott replied to jmcdermott's topic in Windows 10
Just to add an extra quick note After a few days of this working I have noticed that a few windows 10 workstations Start Menu had stopped working completely, on closer inspection it seems all the faulty machines were an old build of the x86 version of windows 10, where as the database files I have used are from a x64 version, quick install of x64 version fixes the issue. -
Not a question, just a quick statement because this issue has been causing me a headache for a little while now, and the answer did not seem to appear any where on the web. Some background: We are now using Windows 10 education. We have a redirected start menu to a folder in netlogon. Our students do not have roaming profiles. The Issue: When a student logs on to a workstation for the first time some start menu items are unclickable. If the student logs off then logs on again to the same workstation the issue goes away. The Fix: The issue seems to be with the default profile created on the my netlogon folder. Following instructions online I created my default profile and deleted the Appdata\Local and the Appdata\Locallow folders as they are not required normaly for windows to work, this was my error, windows seems to store a database for the start menu in a folder called AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database. Once I copied the the jrs files and jfm file and edb file from a working profile into the default profile folder structure the issue was fixed. I am sure this will be of no interest to anyone but at least if it is out there it might help someone one day.
-
Opinions on a web filtering solution?
jmcdermott replied to Alexw's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Sorry didn't try it via RM proxy , I used a BT business fiber to the premises. Still working well.
