Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. Windows Firewall then.
  2. I'd do this on your firewall (either iptables on the server or further upstream) to prevent other attacks like ssh. Edit: oh, kmount types faster
  3. I stayed in the warm because I didn't expect to see anything, there's so much light around. Might poke my head out of the window now though; are they in any particular direction?
  4. I hear lots of good things about zsh but sadly I just haven't had the time to learn it
  5. I was at the Apollo too
  6. Aren't they kinda crucial to the grotto look?
  7. That would be me
  8. I prefer to learn who's who because I know them. I don't like the segregation that might cause (though I suppose supporter is a bit of a fine line with that too).
  9. Well rep is subjective and user-assigned, wheras a badge is a sort of admin-endorsed recognition, so I think I agree with you. I had a supporters badge, but then started work on projects and it got replaced
  10. /me wants two badges...
  11. So that's why the country's so broke... CPLTD jetting around the world on romantic getaways!
  12. I'm so tempted to report that outburst of aggression..
  13. Righto, cheers.
  14. Are there T&Cs for this competition yet?
  15. Exactly, and the site admins aren't always around or need to get involved in trivial things.
  16. What's the best way to reach a moderator for something non-urgent, like a split request? or is the report a post button acceptable for such things?
  17. USB.org - FAQ: Cables, Connectors, and Networking
  18. Why don't you ask your overworked IT department whether they would prefer risking outages when your outside line dies or adding Eclipse to their workload? Pretty pointless asking us to decide for them. Anyway, I have it hosted internally and for the most part it looks after itself (our librarian does all administration and I just make sure it backs up and apply upgrades, and do the annual scary sacrificial dance to make all the kids move around properly), so you can point that out to them if it helps.
  19. Blimey, never thought I'd hear that
  20. GenControl?
  21. As a technical solution, its fulfils the brief perfectly, yes. But unfortunately, many people Googling for something similar will read it as "this person clearly knows things, this must be the right answer" - without really understanding what they're opening themselves up to. I call this 'but-the-internet-told-me-to'. Of course you could argue that people stupid enough to blindly follow instructions deserve to get their servers DOSsed by teenagers who should be in lessons. But we all had to start understanding somewhere.
  22. It's the recovery event you want to alert on in this case.
  23. Nagios.
  24. This is a really stupid idea.
×
×
  • Create New...