CyberNerd
Members-
Posts
9,169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CyberNerd
-
Screen Recording & Voice Annotation Software
CyberNerd replied to hillskill's topic in Educational Software
You can send this out with a chrome policy as soon as they log into the browser: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/screencastify-screen-vide/mmeijimgabbpbgpdklnllpncmdofkcpn?hl=en -
Staff laptops - does your school still supply them?
CyberNerd replied to birchanger's topic in Hardware
pretty much any mechanic, electrician, plumber, aircraft technician would have their own tools regardless of the employer -
Staff laptops - does your school still supply them?
CyberNerd replied to birchanger's topic in Hardware
Thats one way of looking at it. Another would be to provide £200 chromebooks and give them a 5yr lifecycle (google do). Then your only looking at £6000 per year which is less than a single teachers TLR -
Lemmy, Motorhead Frontman, Dies Aged 70 After Cancer Diagnosis - BBC News
CyberNerd replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
Killed by death.. -
Take a look at Redhat Enterprise Virtualisation (RHEV). IIRC the supported version is about £700 per server per year. It is built around ovirt so you can roll your own unsupported version if you need to save money. You'll also need to get MS licenses for the VDI desktops if you want to run windows. If you want just access to apps, and not full VDI - then Microsoft RDP with a Guacamole frontend for HTML5 access is a cost effective method. Again MS charge for the Terminal Server Licenses either per user or per client.
-
One of the better arguments about keeping Sunday trading laws is that they only affect large stores, so smaller family run businesses can compete more easily. @ZeroHour - how did that work in Scotland? Do you think it is a valid reason?
-
I'm surprised they have time to post photos with all the marking they must be doing over Christmas.
-
I for one am glad they will be open on boxing day. I'll probably run out of beer by then. Thanks for the headsup.
-
Different DNS results for separate networks
CyberNerd replied to CyberNerd's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
I'm afraid that isn't possible because 6th form students are BYOD. I'm trying to get students in yr 12/13 to NOT use the restrict.youtube.com - we changed the whole school to point there, but I need to override this for the 6th form. I'm now thinking of using a Smoothwall or other linux server on that network -
I need to setup DNS in a way so that I can give different results to different networks. My 6th form need to be able to resolve a different address than the rest of the school. I don't want to go about building another DNS server, we have two replicating using windows 2008R2 and it works without any problem, so ideally I need to do it on these machines. I can see how to do it in BIND using views, but not in windows. Does anyone know of a solution/hack to do this ?
-
I thought it was all online now ?
- 4 replies
-
- activeteach
- app-v
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Would you buy a wireless network from these people?
CyberNerd replied to psydii's topic in Wireless Networks
I wonder if that is the point, that the wireless tech has reached a pinnacle whereby integration with security products and MDM is the only competitive way forward ? -
Would you buy a wireless network from these people?
CyberNerd replied to psydii's topic in Wireless Networks
They recently bought Meru, who do have deep expertise, great technology and a good track record with Wireless technology. -
The problem is more to do with the teaching, not the technology. We can provide the systems/infrastructure but if the teachers can't do their part then it's going to be a distraction no matter whether it's paper or tablets. Only the daily mail could come up with such a warped opinion given the actual quotes used in the article.
-
Google Apps accreditation is free. Google Apps Certification
-
Swapping Fibre module from One network to another
CyberNerd replied to maxrebo's topic in Wired Networks
Things to consider: The port needs to be enabled The switch may need to be the same manufacturer (not always, some HP's are fussy) You may need to tell the port it isn't an edged port so as not to confuse STP You may need to setup a VLAN You may need to consider the aggregation at the other end -
I hope they just continue the work on virtualising APK's to run in the browser.
-
Thinstation - basically gives access to Windows Terminal Servers.
-
Our network is about 85% Linux. 70% are Chromebooks and almost all of the 'desktop' windows are diskless thin clients. The server side is mostly linux, apache/ samba etc but I've not really been too bothered getting rid of Active Directory. The benefits: Software deployment is unbelievably easy. We couldn't afford 1:1 Chromebooks if they ran windows, the cost of hardware, licensing and management overhead combined would be prohibitive.
-
ITIL is designed to fit (no pun intended) companies from all shapes and sizes. When I did it I was the only person from a school, but alongside admins from multinationals who looked after hundreds of servers. FITS is basically an implementation of ITIL that has been tailored to the UK education sector (I think BECTA did it ?). So if you can't find info on FITS then ITIL is what you need to look for. ITIL/FITS isn't necessarily a management qualification, it should be undertaken by anyone working in IT (IMO). I strongly believe management *should* take the course but I've never met a head or deputy who has !
-
Another method, that allows students to access copyright material that the school owns a license for, is to upload them to specific departmental folders in Drive. Drive will auto encode them youtube style and access can be given at the group level and shared in classroom.
-
Is Asset Register a legal requirement for schools
CyberNerd replied to CommodoreS's topic in Learning Network Manager
Sometimes insurance companies insist on it too -
A toothbrush won't dissolve in IPA, they are generally nylon. A brush that dissolved in IPA would also likely dissolve in an ethanol/water mix - not an ideal design for something you put in your mouth!
