Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. It does if you sign into the browser - it's how we get teachers to whitelist video for the domain. - - - Updated - - - Yes it does work. Once people are signed in you can deploy apps to them too - a really neat way of getting applications and links onto their home computers
  2. The AP320's are end of life now.
  3. We have a Digital Technologies Committee that is headed by our lead practitioner for ICT. It is attended by: Head teacher, Bursar, Network Manager, A Deputy Head, Communications Manager. The committee meets about three times per term. Day to day decisions are made by the Network Manager or the Lead Practitioner, but anything requiring new equipment (extra money), policy decisions, or anything out of the ordinary are referred to the committee. We used to have a sub-committee to handle change requests (CAB), but the technical team is much smaller now so these are considered ad-hoc.
  4. Are you using proxy port 8080 ? I seem to recall an issue that was fixed in 7.08 on the meru controller, but not sure if it affected v6 or just 7.07 You could try 7.08 anyway ? The Ap320's are nearing EoL so it might be worth trading them up if you don't have too many?
  5. There are essentially three ways Chromebooks can operate: 1) user mode 2) guest mode 3) kiosk mode (used for single apps really) Do year 3-6 already have logins ? I don't work in primary so not sure when they getaccounts etc, they all seem to know what they are doing by yr 7 so assume it is some point at primary. if so then they can login already, just set the chromebooks to delete the account on logout, all data will be saved - this is the easiest method to use.
  6. References where it doesnt say it? Like I'm about to look up every single license I've read before...
  7. or the bit where they say they'll delete files from the onedrive if they don't like them?
  8. THe ones where MS say they will share your data with third parties.
  9. ^ better they do it now than the system falling over because of an underestimation
  10. Specialising and competing for jobs in a partticular area usually requires a lot of expensive and continual re-training in the specific vendors products.
  11. I've been meaning to try one of these: https://www.google.com/work/chrome/devices/for-meetings/ https://www.cloudsolutions.co.uk/news-and-events/chromebox-for-meetings-google-ultimate-package/
  12. Do you mean that the schools in the states do this? Like the multi academy trusts ?
  13. If this quote is correct "In fact, every school day, 30,000 new Chromebooks are activated in U.S. classrooms—that’s more than all other education devices combined." Why does there seem to be such reluctance to use them on these forums ? I'm still hoping they'll bring more android apps to Chromeos seamlessly, the arc welder is a bit hit and miss.
  14. I think you should get some evidence together using vault or the email logs and report a case to google.
  15. Is this affecting email groups? If so; Go to the group settings and for each group, go to settings > moderation > and select "skip the moderation queue and post directly to the group" Assuming you are using groups as email groups and not as forums.
  16. Although I suggested rsync earlier, I don't think it's possible to rsync just permissions without copying files. I think what you should do: sudo chmod 777 / -R apt-get update && apt-get upgrade 'dpkg --get-selections > listofpackages.txt' (to get a list of installed apps on the broken system) Install the same version of ubuntu onto a NEW machine run "dpkg --set-selections < listofpackages.txt' on the new machine to give it the same package list as the broken one apt-get update && apt-get upgrade mount the now machine from inside the old one. (or vice versa) recursively run chmod --reference (new filesystem) (old filesystem) I think this might work but I'd get someone else to check it first.
  17. A site survey doesn't just measure the signal strength, they'll also work out the sources of interference - one of the reasons we bought a WiSpy
  18. A site survey isn't hard to do; but the tools are expensive. I'd expect any pro to have cisco spectrum expert, fluke airmagnet. Tools which we couldn't afford. We do have Chaneliser, but even that was a few hundred quid: Wi-Spy + Chanalyzer - 2.4GHz & 5GHz Spectrum Analysis
  19. I'd go for a recovery personally. If this isn't an option I would take it offline and in recovery mode chmod777 so that it boots, then reinstall a similar machine and use rsync/ssh to re-sync the permissions without deleting any files. edit: if you can NFS mount the re-installed version, assuming the UID's and GID's match, you could use chmod --reference to match the files.
  20. I've been noticing in my almost daily updates from Google that they have been focussing a lot more on android devices for GAFE in the last six months. There are good and bad points to each but if they can get the robustness and management of chromeos into android then it will be a winner.
  21. To be honest, from what i've seen they are all much the same, I don't think that was true in the early days. You'll see the same issues with laptop brands; some will swear blind a particular brand is the bees knees for support and others will just swear about them! After the initial hiccup with Genee they have proved quite reliable, but so have the clevertouch and the support has been better for us.
  22. It was my idea of a laugh about the thread yesterday.
  23. It was actually Genee who moved us to Clevertouch! After 4 boards were installed last year we had two failures, no so much of a problem I thought because of the 7 yr warranty. Unfortunately the installers were massively understaffed (it was just after summer, so I give them that) and it took an entire term before they were back up and running. The department were not impressed at all and neither were SLT, hence the move to clevertouch.
×
×
  • Create New...