Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. This was a service disruption:
  2. There are two settings to look for. 1) Apps > Gmail > Advanced Settings > Spam > Tick "Bypass spam filters for messages received from internal senders." 2) Groups are technically not email, The default group setting for spam is to withhold it until it is approved by a group moderator. If you do not allow posting from external addresses it is safe to change this to bypass the spam filter and post to the group. The setting is groups > Groupname > Access Settings > Settings > Moderation > Spam settings.
  3. We print Avery L6140 TripleBond Labels using a colour copier. They are good value, but can be defeated by a determined sticker remover. TripleBondâ„¢ Labels - L6140-20 - Avery
  4. Google forms is the obvious one, because it is free.
  5. We have gone a long way to replace out networked storage, but with Google apps. (100% free *unlimited* storage, backups). So far we have moved about 1TB of shared data over which is mostly video. We put URL links on the old shared areas to re-direct people. We've not experienced bandwidth issues and in general it has been a success, it took a bot of extra training for a few staff; but ultimately it will completely replace our expensive SAN.
  6. We mostly have comware switches as we stuck with it from the 3com days. The procurves are definitely the budget range and having configured both comware and procurve switches I can say without doubt that comware is far superior in configuration and debugging options.
  7. yes it is just for this and the phone/monitor point. I don't think they did a particularly good job with product design here.
  8. Yes, I did speak to them. They told me that they wouldn't budge on either point. 1) that the system needs to run on IPV6 2) that it needs to run on a single subnet. If they cannot/will not move on those points then I can see this as being "unresponsive or awkward"; which is what I was referring to. To be fair the engineer that I spoke to eluded to the fact that point 2 could be resolved " if the network was setup correctly" (I ad-lib) ; but reverted to "non-supported" when I pressed it. To be fair I do think that paxton is one of the best products around, and this is referring to a particular subset of their products.
  9. yeah, I was just being facetious. I bet it would run ubuntu fine I'd go with upgrading the RAM and SD btw.
  10. ok. I've just been on the phone to Paxton. It applies specifically to the panels and monitors for video intercom systems. they said: 1) it runs over IPV6 it does NOT support IPV4 2) all the panels and monitors must be on the same vlan. So it is likely it is just the intercom parts for opening gates on newer systems.
  11. Ok, I'm just going on what the installers told us. That the door entry components (not the server) operate over IPV6 see here: http://www.paxton.co.uk/docs/Instructions/Ins-30201.pdf Did you configure IPV4 on these ? or is it just using IPV6 behind the scenes? They also told us that Paxton were "unresponsive and awkward" about running it on anything other than a single VLAN. Which sounds ridiculous, and it may well work over vlans but pazton don't support it. Allegedly. - - - Updated - - - You don't need to implement ipv6 for this, all you need is to make sure the switch can use it.
  12. it's in the system spec for all of the door control units for net 2.
  13. 3. replace the operating system. That seems to be your bottleneck.
  14. I should add that paxton net 2 does require that all your equipment: 1) is IPV6 capable 2) runs on a single subnet (put all the gates on one vlan)
  15. Config > EES > (pick profile): It called: "SSID Broadcast Preference" just above the transmission rates. It's only available for Virtual Port. Half our network is virtual port and half 802.11ac is virtualcell. I don't see the option in the virtualcell network.
  16. did you try the workaround:
  17. Papercut ? Reports > Executive Summary > Ad Hoc > Choose date > run. It will differentiate between total printed pages, sheets as well as simplex/dulpex/colour/mono/print/copy etc
  18. We've done similar. Luckily it was a short run so we could use SFP+ cables (15M IIRC) instead of fibre. I think we used four A5120's and four 5800's in two stacks.
  19. We are switching to paxton from Impro because it has better integration with SIMS via biostore.
  20. done, but I included photocopying too.
  21. Having had a look lately I would also advocate Paxton. Combined with Biostore for SIMS integration means it is easily extendible to print release systems (papercut) and cashless catering.
  22. yeah, IT never get to know the IT literate teachers!
  23. We have access to pretty much everything; from every one of the hundreds of thousands of documents and millions of emails ever created in School. We have access to CCTV systems going back weeks, electronic gates, cashless catering and weblogs for hundreds and hundreds of users. SA on the SIMS database. Basically we hold the keys to all the data -but none in the office ever knows when the last day of term is, what time is period 4, or when lunch starts. Is this the same for you guys as well?
  24. 1) Disable their laptops 2) When they bring them to you, copy their internet history 3) "fix" the laptops 4) report back to deputy job completed.
  25. This is pretty good, or set up something like it in-house with free software: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/koding/fgbjpbdfegnodokpoejnbhnblcojccal
×
×
  • Create New...