Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ghostgame

Members
  • Posts

    386
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ghostgame

  1. Go into SOLUS 3 Deployment Server UI connection string editor (found in Start --> All Programs --> SOLUS3) Click Test and Save If the login fails when the SQL Authentification is not ticked, then your Windows Authentication does not have the required rights to access the SOLUS3 database. If the login fails when the SQL Authentification is ticked, then SQL login you have put in is either wrong or does not have the required rights to access the SOLUS3 database. The error message is talking about how your login does not have the access it needs for the SOLUS3 database. If you want to have another crack at the SQL Management Studio route, log in as the SA account.
  2. Basically what he said. That error message appears when the username you are using cannot access the SOLUS3 UI part of the SOLUS database. You can give windows logins SQL rights in SQL Management Studio but I don't know how. There should be guides on the internet. Other than that, you can use the user that you created when you installed SOLUS3. That should have the rights to open the SOLUS3 UI.
  3. Found this, thought brilliant
  4. I'm hoping that this is just Facebook diversifying their business. I'm hoping that they they are creating a device that will be able to plug into any device, PC or console (not sure about Sony since they are developing their own OR device). I'm hoping that this will not turn into a shiney, shiney device for only viewing facebook and playing their facebook games.
  5. Avoid Symantec Backup Exec. In my opinion it is the most horrible piece of software to try and use to backup SQL databases (or maybe only SIMS databases). Would recommend RBUSS however. Very user friendly and is very easy to use to backup SIMS and FMS databases. This is from my personnel experience though. I don't know how good ARCServe as I have never used it.
  6. Have you added the workstation as a Discover client/workstation in the Discover Channel?
  7. Really stupid question but have you enabled SOLUS3 at their end in System Settings?
  8. Check the other thread I have provided a possible answer for that problem as well
  9. If you have not done it already, go to Manage Updates. Select the relevant update and then click Deploy selected update. If you have already deployed an update via SOLUS3, you can redeploy it again by going into Deployment History. Select the relervant update in Deployment History. Hit Deploy now. If you want to redeploy to specific workstations, go to the 3rd panel down in Targets in the Deployment, there should be a horseshoe (I have no idea what else to call it) arrow. Click that arrow. Select the agents you want to deploy to. Save. Click Deploy now.
  10. Check the SIMS channel config in SOLUS3 Agents --> Update Enviroment. Make sure that the settings are in and/or correct. Best way to check your setup correctly is in Agent Details for the server agent. If setup correctly, there should be version numbers for each of the Targets (apart from SIMS File Server) If you are setup correctly and there is no version number, select the target (e.g. SIMS Database) and click Get Target Version in the top left. This should allow you know to download the updates for SOLUS3 though you might need to reauthorise them again to the school in question.
  11. Can't see anything from that would stop SQL Compact Edition being installed and SQL2012 is supported. Only thing I can think of is to right click the .exe and run as admin. Other than that this might be an issue for Capita, unless anyone else can think of something.
  12. What version of SQL are you using and is the SOLUS3 installer for 3.6.94?
  13. An Open Letter From a Death Star Architect - Dorkly Article This is brilliant
  14. There is no instructions as far as I could find. I had to write my own. The migration on the same server has been looked at in another thread. When you detach the SOLUS3 database, you can move it across to the new server. If the server your moving the SOLUS3 database to has a different name, your going to need to remove all the SOLUS3 agents from the workstations and from the UI first before you de-attach the S3 database. Also before you attach the old SOLUS3 database from the old server, you need to reinstall SOLUS3 again and then deattach the newly installed SOLUS3 database. You can then migrate the targets. Hope this is helpful.
  15. Yeah, that will happen. Not great. Discover is not used widely where I am so the following is a bit of a guess. I would ask staff to ignore the warning/notification as I don't think it would effect SIMS/FMS. The only thing it puts in SIMS is two shortcuts to Discover.
  16. An irritating issue which sometimes effects SIMS and FMS. Redeploy the latest Discover update in Update History This will push it out.
  17. One for Capita I guess. I have not seen it, but I would guess its something to do with the framework installation phase. Maybe .Net is corrupt or being refused? Only thing I can think of from looking at that error message.
  18. Have not done a SOLUS3 migration yet but I'm guessing your going to need to use SQL Management Studio. Deattach or create a backup of the database from the SQL2008 instance and then restore/attach to the SQL2012 instance. In Start --> All programs --> Solus3, there are 2 editors which will allow you to change the server\instance.0 Then go to SOLUS3 Agents --> Update Enviroment --> Move SQL database targets This will reconfigure the database targets in SOLUS3. This is only a guess. @Rawns and @matt40k might know a better way of doing it.
  19. @matt40k
  20. I would check the heartbeat settings in SOLUS3. If the box is unticked, the only time that S3 knows that a workstation is offline is when you do an update. This happened to me with a school. I have no idea. If it didn't rely so much on the DNS it would save me alot of work as well.
  21. Make sure Discover is set up in SOLUS3. If there are no settings in the discover channel, you won't be shown the updates. I would assume that you would be able to use SOLUS3 to update an already existing instance of Discover as you can do it with SIMS and FMS.
  22. Faithless - Insomnia - YouTube Couldn't resist it
  23. It doesn't affect upgrades done by SOLUS2 or 3 (from what I have come across). SIMSInst.exe basically strings all the .exes in the setups folder (SIMSApplicationSetup.exe, SIMSDatabaseConfigurationSetup.exe, etc) together depending on what tick boxes you select in the 'Install Options' at the start of the wizard. If you select 'This computer will be used as a SIMS SQL Server', SIMSInst.exe can install the SQL instance, attach/create SIMS/FMS databases and then put in the SQL application files that SIMS needs. At the moment SIMSInst.exe is not configured/designed/written to do this for SQL2012 and does not even pick up that there might be an existing SQL2012 instance to put in the SQL application files that SIMS needs. Thats why you end up having to manually install the SQL instance, attach database, etc I would not install Windows Server 2012R2 OS. matt40k has already said why this is a bad idea. If Capita won't support you, usually means your LA won't support you either. Totally possible. Capita have developed a tool which would also help with migrating the databases over from SQL2008R2 to SQL2012 when you make the switch. I find it a bit remiss of your LA not to have mentioned that MS 2003R2 OS was no longer supported. We have been screaming at schools as soon as we found out.
  24. Means if you get an issue with your SIMS databases or system on the server, Capita might not give you any help. Usually by extension your LA won't either. My niggles with SQL 2012 have been: - there has not been an installable release yet for SQL2012 (ETA is January but based on the Summer 2 release). Means some parts can't be installed via SIMSInst and have to be done manually. - has broke B2B on every server I have switched the school over too. Got round it by creating the tasks manually but have nearly fixed the issue with Capita's help so they can be created manually again. (Been distracted by the SIMS update)
×
×
  • Create New...