-
Posts
641 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by smithson83
-
made it so...
-
I didn't have any more luck with the LTSB version, same ~2min login times etc. @robjduk any advise on the roaming profiles side of things, as this may be the key...
-
Physical to Virtual (DC on 2012) Hyper-V
smithson83 replied to newpersn's topic in How do you do....it?
I've used that before also, worked well, but only as a stop-gap measure on a failing DC, to give me time to rebuild it properly on a purpose built VM. I'm not sure what others thought are, but I would always want to build a new VM if I had the chance over a converted one. If you can, I would seriously consider building a new VM for the role, promote it, and transfer the FSMO roles over -
[windows software] Microsoft reply to your MoU questions
smithson83 replied to Dos_Box's topic in Licensing Questions
So they should get going then, if they haven't done it by then, again, that's on them... And after July any new computer will come with it, so not a problem... -
[windows software] Microsoft reply to your MoU questions
smithson83 replied to Dos_Box's topic in Licensing Questions
But surely most people can get win10 free anyway, its a free upgrade for win7 upwards... And if they stuck with Vista then that's their own fault... -
[windows software] Microsoft reply to your MoU questions
smithson83 replied to Dos_Box's topic in Licensing Questions
So if we are to start paying inline with the rest of Europe, does anyone know what this is likely to be? -
You mean they outsourced their IT dept, and something went wrong... that can't be right... can it????
-
Turns out that was misrepresented by the BBC - Lincolnshire council IT ransomware flingers asked for ... £350 But still, the disruption is the killer
-
Microsoft to move out of the education market?
smithson83 replied to Dave_O's topic in Licensing Questions
Answer = Sit back and watch as the network goes to hell... edit: Proactively of course -
ooh, ooh, ooh, I want... waaaaaiiiittttt a minute....
-
Microsoft to move out of the education market?
smithson83 replied to Dave_O's topic in Licensing Questions
Budgets are being decided atm, if (as in previous posts), we're looking at a increase of 14-19% on our OVS renewal due this Aug, then they need to know now, not after they've been set and allocated. Its better they know what's going on, and what the ramifications could be. At least then they can't come back to you in a few weeks and ask why you didn't tell them sooner... -
Recording pupil accidents and injuries at school
smithson83 replied to 5tu's topic in How do you do....it?
I think we have a telephone for that... -
Get in line, I was before you....
-
Recording pupil accidents and injuries at school
smithson83 replied to 5tu's topic in How do you do....it?
I believe we have a ring binder with a pen and paper in it -
Barracuda Networks to shutdown Copy.com on 1 May 2016
smithson83 replied to Arthur's topic in Cloud Services
What, you mean, p-p-p-pay.... get out, get out now... -
Microsoft to move out of the education market?
smithson83 replied to Dave_O's topic in Licensing Questions
Yes, but... Why put of till tomorrow that which can be postponed indefinitely EDIT: in all seriousness, until @Dos_Box hears back from "The (MS) Man", I'm just trying not to lose my head whilst making SLT/Finance aware the proverbial may well be hitting the fan in not to distant a future. -
We have two here, they aren't terrible, but not had much else to compare them to. The engineers are quick to respond and helpful with queries.
-
Barracuda Networks to shutdown Copy.com on 1 May 2016
smithson83 replied to Arthur's topic in Cloud Services
I've used them for ages, although only the free 20GB (maybe that was the problem), I too now am looking for an alternative, for 20GB was thinking of just using MS's Onedrive... -
@fiza, That's a teaching issue, pupils should always name files properly. Wherever the files are, or how ever they are collected, if its simply named Doc1, how would the teacher know that is the file needed for marking or who it was from... I don't get why people jump to using a.n.other service when it can be done simply in house with existing workflow that doesn't require much if any extra training. Add a folder to your file server, set the permissions, map a drive, tell em they can only copy and paste once saved, then its up to the teacher/pupils to use it.
-
I have a mapped drive (dubbed Pupil DropDrive) setup up for pupils whereby they can copy file to it, and that's it, once its there, they cannot re-access it, nor can they delete it, nor read others work. Pupils have; "List Folder / Read Data", "read Attributes", and ""Read Extended Attributes". This way they complete and save their work in their own areas, then copy the end result to a folder on the Pupil DropDrive that the teacher has created.
-
Microsoft to move out of the education market?
smithson83 replied to Dave_O's topic in Licensing Questions
Reducing the price when people have signed up to another program is one thing... hiking the price for everyone that has already invested is quite another -
Microsoft to move out of the education market?
smithson83 replied to Dave_O's topic in Licensing Questions
That puts our cost up by ~£16k EDIT: Would possibly go Perpetual Licences, and look at moving away from MS for the bulk of stuff over time -
**Click Bate** - I thought this was a competition for 10 SSD drives
-
Awesome, many thanks. Will look great guarding our network...
-
We have a dedicated HP LJ P3010 that was on the pre approved list of printers. Apparently if you get some blu-tac nice and warm (needing it in your fingers for a bit) and stick and lift over the printed cheque, if it stays put, you're ok.
