-
Posts
1,409 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by robk
-
EduGeek EDIT Conf 2013 - A Heads-up
robk replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
There's a late breakfast option..... -
Smoothwall / Lightspeed AD Auth Process
robk replied to Driftingashore's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
@RTFM does the machine event log not tell you that anyway? -
Smoothwall / Lightspeed AD Auth Process
robk replied to Driftingashore's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Smoothwall will auth against ad via either ntlm or Kerberos for domain joined clients (therefore traansparent to the user) and a captive portal for non domain joined clients. Seems to work well, and be none intrusive for yhe end user and no client to install on the workstations. The soon to be released byod function of smoothwall utm products does the same thing for non domain joined clients using 802.1x auth. -
You will need two conductors to create a circuit which the tester uses to light the lamp so to speak. If you have buried cables in the wall, that you want to identify It might be easier to short the remote end of a pair, then use a multimeter set to continuity test to find those two wires at the amp end. Rinse and repeat and you will have labelled all the cables ready to connect to amp and speakers.
-
Cloud / Local file hosting solution for iPad deployment
robk replied to djclark's topic in Cloud Services
Bear in mind that if you use cloud storage for the ipads, they will hammer your internet connection when on site. Its a bit of a balancing act from what I understand.- 9 replies
-
- cloud
- file storage
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I have been able to test Smoothwall's new BYOD functionality. I know its early days, Blog post here... http://www.edugeek.net/blogs/robk/1995-byod-smoothwall-ruckus.html Congratulations to Smoothwall on another great development. Thanks to @tom_newton and @philipksmith for letting me play with it first. Its well worth the wait for other smoothwall customers.
-
- 3
-
-
Like most schools we have been looking for a solution for BYOD devices for some time. We have been using Smoothwall for web filtering for a number of years, together with Ruckus wireless. Although the combination of transparent proxy and SSL log on page in smoothwall with no wireless security works well, it does have the issue of having to enter log on details every time a device is used, and of course apps don't always display the log on page, or give any indication that authentication has timed out. We are now researching mobile devices, and have been allowed to trail a class set of ipads by Jigsaw 24. Before we gave students ipads we felt it was a good idea to allow the staff to get us to them first. The 10 ipads deployed over Christmas brought issues of "Wireless dropping out" which actually is authentication has timed out and the app in use doesn't say so to a head. When we heard about Smoothwall's BYOD project I asked to be considered as a test site. A week later I was invited to join a production team meeting on the project.... The new Smoothwall system builds a radius server into the UTM box. To the end user, they connect to a wireless network, get asked for a username and password and have to confirm they are happy with the certificate used for the 802.1X network. That's it, every time the device connects the stored credentials are used to connect and Smoothwall has the authentication for the correct groups etc. To the network manager, this is a really quick and simple fix for a big problem. Any wireless that supports radius authentication and accounting should work. The Smoothwall box need to be the DHCP server and default route for the BYOD wireless network which is how the system works. Only radius authed clients get a ip address from DHCP, and the internal logic in Smoothwall then has the User. Over Easter members of Smoothwall's Development team paid a visit to Sunny Ashbourne and left us a working test box. Installation basically consisted of a new wireless SSID on the ruckus system, assigned to a unused vlan which it then connected to the UTM, add the ip address of the Smoothwall to Ruckus for radius, and the Ruckus zonedirector ip to Smoothwall input shared secret and done! We thought all had gone too well, and expected the whole thing to fall over within days... This morning was I day... 30 ipads deployed to students, and I am happy to say that apart from a couple of devices that didn't like Live@edu everything worked perfectly. I look forward to moving this onto our production smoothwall box when the beta is released which I suspect should be quite soon now. My thanks to the Staff at Smoothwall for their assistance.
-
You have reminded me about the event. Must talk to our SLT... Suspect the EduGeek conference the week after might be a good move as well...
-
Capita Broke it all again then have they. Great stuff! As of the last ticket update, now on hold as they appear to have fixed the problem...
-
As the dust settles I need some help
robk replied to timbo343's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Have you been able to get the Cisco router to connect directly to the ADSL line and out onto the internet? Or is that where you are stuck? Are you trying to route via a home DSL router into the Cisco then into Smoothwall? If that's the case I suspect you will have "fun" unless the cheap router does some form of port forwarding/Bridge mode so that the cisco box can handle the routing? I think you have ADSL into the cisco router, in which case its down to what IPs talk talk are giving you? Is dialer0 on a different address range or are you needing to route across the 4 IPs you have. You might need to be creative with the subnet masks on the router. -
I gather the utm product is firewall and filtering the swg is filtering only. I suspect adding the dhcp from one product to the other may be doable, but I have not heard anything from smoothwall on that.
-
Just the byod network. Our main system is via a different radius server.
-
@DrCheese that's what I said when I saw a development presentation. It should be available in a short while, once tested. I think we are looking at a few weeks rather than months with a bit if luck. The only proviso is the smoothwall box needs to be dhcp for all the byod traffic, and your wireless is pointed to the smoothwall box for radius auth and accounting. I am testing on ruckus, but it is standard radius setup.
-
The new smoothwall system uses 802.1x to do the authentication. So end user only enters log on details once, and the system just works... Where as the captive portal systems need you to log on each session. End result, less moans of apps not working (as ssl captive portal page didn't come up) and much quicker access as you don't have to type credentials each time.
-
Having just installed a test version of Smoothwall's new BYOD software I can confirm it looks really good. Load test is Tuesday.... Many thanks for your visit to sunny Derbyshire @philipksmith. I think the 1200 units are licenced differently, you could get the SSL log on page to work if you set up a DHCP server etc... I suspect it may well be worth a chat with support or your friendly account manager.
-
That's strange, I thought you got 30 days notice, or could upgrade on request... However as we found out last week Microsoft seem to have stopped upgrade requests, and support are unable to help with when we can actually migrate across. Have they given you 14 days, is there an upgrade window you can use?
-
@Domino really sorry to hear that. Pets are never "just" animals, they are family.
-
must set up a couple of random ssids at work.... greek should work....
-
@Sheridan which Smoothwall product are you using. Certainly with a UTM product this is very doable. Either with a SSL logon page, or with future developments 802.11x on the cards.
-
I suspect someone may be taking the iP1ss .... Was published on 2011, still funny though...
-
There must be a reason for it to be blocked. Your only real way round this is to get the policy changed.
-
Any idea what disabled USB? It's this pc part of a network?
-
+1 for @Net-Ctrl done two projects for us, worked well both times.
