-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
[video] Google Glass - How It Feels (through Glass)
Jamman960 replied to Arthur's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Really looking forward to this but I assume it won't initially be launched at a comfortable price... how much would everyone pay for this sort of thing? Its currently roumored to be $1500(£990) although a recent article has suggested it will be less(didn't say how much less). I think £500 would be more realistic but still not really in the realms of affordable for what it is. Don't think I'll be getting one for personal use until it comes down to £250ish, may stretch to £350 -
looking forward to their call again... will tell them I'm happy with my current toner supplier "Millenium Computer Systems", having brought their magic toners 5 years ago we've never needed any more why don't these idiots just act like any other business and go legit, surely trading standards should be sorting them out
-
NS Optimum may be a good option for a school wanting a company to come in and setup/support, certainly worth a look/quote I know they're not particularly popular on here but they do vanilla setups and are probably on par with Viglen/RM these days
-
Very little info is passed along to websites while browsing, things like OS version, Browser Type&Version, screen resolution & obviously IP address are but MAC address certainly isn't although I guess an activeX script may be able to pull it in some way? Games may possibly check the MAC address for copy protection purposes As above none of these would be reliable ways to prevent fraud, unusually large/frequent transactions or transactions from other countrys raise alarm bells. I hope the BBC aren't paying him much, I'd fear for my job if I let that article get published!
-
We've avoided buying widescreen monitors because most of our pc's are hooked up to projectors, we either end up with distorted images or wasted screen space to compensate. What's everyone else planning now that its getting harder to source 4:3 monitors at normal prices? it seems as though the ones availible are mostly above £100 and are 19" rather than the standard 17" ones we normally buy. I've been asked to add more pc's to an IT Suite and ensure that the monitors are all the same, they are currently all 4:3's so I'm having to pull matching 4:3's from classrooms and purchase new ones to replace them, so far I've been able pinpoint several that can be swapped out for widescreens and will order some of the over priced 4:3's where I really have to but thats not going to be ideal when we need to replace others in future. James
-
The PLC-WL2500 is an Ultra Short Throw projector so probably wouldn't do the job(these project a large image from inches away) We replaced ours with an Epson short throw projector, I don't seem to have a record of which one though. We ended up having to attach a normal projector mount to the sanyo one(required a little drilling) and have the new projector hanging off that. James
-
I used to have a fairly complex home setup with a windows server, all the pc's on the domain etc but have now settled for 2 standalone laptops and a cheapo linkstation for file storage. The wife's also just got a tablet Can't be bothered with the hassle anymore and the wife would probably have a hissy fit if I tried setting anything else up!
-
Most of the time its just a case of arranging an appointment with them and telling them who you're insurance is with. Admiral's policy is that you must call them first otherwise they'll only pay up to x amount. If I remember correctly it works out ok for a chip repair but falls short by a long way when it comes to windscreen replacement.
-
Its interesting to see that no one else is paying, won't mention the supplier by name buy they're one of the big guys I'm beginning to wonder whether one of our "helpful" admin staff have kicked up a fuss and asked for next day delivery on everything Self install would be good - can't even trust the teachers to do it here without either spilling toner everywhere(& calling the supplier directly afterwards!) or using up all the toners without telling anyone then complaining when they haven't been ordered. I'd probably have better luck training some of the kids up to do it lol
-
Hi All, How much do your managed print/copier companys charge for toner delivery? we're being charged £10.20 per delivery by our photocopier company... thankfully its not coming from the IT budget! is this normal? I tend to ensure I order at least 3 toners per order to get the most value but its much more than I'd pay for delivery from any other company - I had no input in choosing the supplier but will be asking potential managed print companies to detail their delivery costs in future.
-
I wonder how they'll package this, they could either sell an adaptor and allow us to purchase a projector to suit/use one we already have or force everyone to buy a "special" projector... a half decent projector is going to cost around £400-500, if they go the special route I can't see them using a brilliant one as they probably wouldn't sell many
-
Homebase currently have some 4w(35w halogen equiv) GU10's at £9.99 for 2 bulbs, they're on the whiter side but aren't too bad. I brought a load to replace the 1w LED GU10's the previous owners had installed in the kitchen, they just weren't bright enough although they are fine in the bathroom. They seem to be doing 20% off when you spend £50 fairly frequently at the moment. The Auraglow 6w Dimmables are pretty good too although you need to make sure the dimmer is capable of supporting the lower wattage, I've ended up leaving 1 50w halogen in the circuit otherwise the bulbs stayed lit very slightly despite being fully off on the dimmer
-
we currently use this stuff: Q-build, de-mountable staging | Stage Systems - probably not quite what you're after but worth a look.
-
We're currently using Sony cameras and a Viostor NVR, the web based interface isn't great but on the whole it works well
-
Sorry to hear that Bodmin Our daughter would be coming up to 11 months
-
We found that our DC would creep out of time when setup to sync via integrated services, by the end of the week it'd be 10 minutes out, as above I'd rely on an external source and forget about integrated services syncing
-
[website] Lottery: What would you have won?
Jamman960 replied to jinnantonnixx's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Glad I don't play very often - I'd have won £400 but spent £1500 From the start till last year the school had a syndicate going, any winnings went towards paying for the tickets during holidays. They've now ditched the main lottery and instead put money on 1 bonus ball each so now someone gets a payout each week -
F1 - Vettel may be penalised and lose championship
Jamman960 replied to teejay's topic in General Chat
I would hope that the FIA's findings are final once they've finalised the result in the same way that the ref's decissions are final in football etc -
I really like the idea of getting our EYFS dept to ditch the digital cameras and stop printing dozens of pictures in full colour for the kids folders, I'd much rather have the data on site and not be locked into Apple hardware though The 2simple software isn't all that expensive really but again the data's kept on their servers
-
Education Recording Agency and iPlayer
Jamman960 replied to S.C.'s topic in AV and Multimedia Related
I'd agree with that, essentially the youview box is acting in the same way as the desktop app would when saving shows by deleting them when expired etc its just the storage medium that differs James -
Education Recording Agency and iPlayer
Jamman960 replied to S.C.'s topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Sounds like progress Just found this in their leaflet -
Education Recording Agency and iPlayer
Jamman960 replied to S.C.'s topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Typical... clear as mud! Their FAQ links into the /on_demand.html page. To be honest I've never looked at the terms & conditions, our staff seem to assume they have the rights to use what they like when they like... telling the nursery they can't use IPlayer would probably get me shot -
Education Recording Agency and iPlayer
Jamman960 replied to S.C.'s topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Where abouts on the ERA site are you looking? The ERA Licensing Scheme seems to indicate things have changed and all the ondemand(BBC/C4 on that link, C5 & ITV via The ERA Licensing Scheme) services now allow educational use James -
Interactive Whiteboard Install Height?
Jamman960 replied to Gongalong's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Couldn't you remove it from the wall, get the site team to move the brackets and then put it back up? then the site team don't need to have anything to do with the board itself. I'm glad our site manager dosen't pull stunts like this, he occasionally drags his feet if staff aren't polite about how they ask(Alcohol usually works as an opology) but won't go down the H&S route unless something is actually dangerous... none of this ladder training nonsense(Independent school) -
All gone just got the email was about to order 12 for the school
