-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
I've given up on classroom printing all together, get them up and walking to nearby MFD's ideally with follow me print etc I used to waste so much tech time on classroom printers, now everyone uses the MFD's and we just call our supplier in for any issues on a 4hr callout. The cost savings on labor and consumables/parts easily justified the move.
-
Is the remote faulty or the Projector?
Jamman960 replied to saggu's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Had a quick look in the manual and can’t see the option to switch remote codes, may be worth trying to reset to factory defaults -
Is the remote faulty or the Projector?
Jamman960 replied to saggu's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
What model/brand is the projector? Some have the option for multiple remote codes in which case the remote must be switched to the right code to work. -
I tend to keep them on a bookcase in the office until a few days before the next batch arrive then bin them, when we’re deploying to staff I mix empty boxes with full boxes and make it appear as though we’re pulling their iPads out at random Hadn’t thought about selling them and unfortunately we got rid of the paper recycling when the council stopped collecting it(despite still charging us for it...) so it all goes into general waste :/
-
New network for school - What do you think?
Jamman960 replied to Sonic007's topic in Windows Server 2016
Sounds like a good plan, out of interest is there anything stopping you merging the MIS databases? might save a fair amount on licencing -
I hope they include Independent schools in this since they(the Government) excluded them from the Gigabit voucher scheme because "State schools cannot benefit from it" - we recently started the ordering process intending to use gigabit vouchers only to be told we weren't eligible because we were a school. James
-
[for sale] Promethean boards - free - collected today
Jamman960 replied to Jamman960's topic in Classified Adverts
Hi, yep we'd need a guarentee they'd be collected by the end of Friday, our WEEE collection is coming tomorrow or Thursday. They're currently taking up a corridor in one of our buildings James -
[for sale] Promethean boards - free - collected today
Jamman960 posted a topic in Classified Adverts
I've got 10 Promethean boards to get rid of if anyone's interested, most are the earlier versions but at least 2 are 300 series, I've got a WEEE collection booked for sometime this week if no ones interested. edit: All gone, went on todays WEEE collection(23/08) James -
I’ve just renewed with Lane Business systems, Andy gave me a lower price than last year despite being in y2 of a 3yr contract I’m not sure whats going to happen when we reach the end of the contract, a 20% increase will hit us hard
-
Hi mate, Did you not sign up for a multi year deal last year? Your reseller should have been recommending it for a few years as ms have been gradually reducing the discount and the only way to get a bit of a grace period was to secure the pricing for a few years.
-
[ipad] How to set up the Head’s iPad?
Jamman960 replied to nicholab's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
If you try to login to the App Store with a managed ID you’ll be told that it can’t be used in the store and get directed towards the volume purchase programme site. @Blue_Cookeh how are you backing the iPads up if they aren’t logged in? -
[ipad] How to set up the Head’s iPad?
Jamman960 replied to nicholab's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
We provide managed ids for iCloud and get staff to use a personal Id for iTunes as the managed ones aren’t able to purchase anything(including free apps). We just tell staff they can pay for their own apps or have us pay for it and assign via vpp, we make it clear that apps purchased on personal ids can’t be claimed for. -
We were being charged £66/mo when we first moved in without a meter, we now pay around £25/mo on a meter despite not being particularly careful with water usage.
-
I’ve found that sip apps kill battery very quickly on mobiles, I tried to use Bria on my mobile I imagine there aren’t many people you can reach via sip that aren’t reachable via pstn as most will be using providers that are linked to the pstn via trunks.
-
Profile manager doesn’t scale very well from what I’ve been told, I seem to remember it having trouble once it hits 200 devices.
-
I tend to use tin snips having found hacksaws leave far too much mess beind, trying to get the plastic bits out of carpet is a nightmare
-
We're finding Zuludesk to be ok with just over 200 iPads bar the odd small niggle, what issues are you guys facing?
-
In the past you wouldn't have been able to fully manage these via DEP however now you can after a 30 day grace period via Apple Configurator 2 I believe. The Air will run iOS 11 and by the looks of it iOS 12, with a few features dropped but nothing that'll interfere with Tapestry use. We currently use a mixture of Air 1's and 2's with Tapestry, we get a few complaints about the 1's as they "only" have 32gb of storage which goes far too quickly with photos but once you're using Apple School and the managed ID's you'll get 200gb icloud storage per user anyway. I would expect the Air's to be supported throughout the next year but wouldn't be surprised if they weren't iOS 13 compatible. We're retiring our Air 1's in September. James
-
Government Grant Scheme - 1 Gigabit for all.
Jamman960 replied to TheRobins's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
They specifically exclude all types of schools in the terms and conditions for suppliers, even independent schools! When I questioned it I was told that the whole of the public sector is excluded, independent schools have been excluded to ensure equality between state and private education sectors... not impressed having met all other requirements! Could you post the email or pm me a copy by any chance? -
Very odd, have you got a firewall in place or is it straight out to Virgin?
-
ZuluDesk and Sophos UTM
Jamman960 replied to nicholab's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Have it working well using Sophos XG firewall, the main requirement is ensuring the apple push notifications can get through - this should help:https://support.zuludesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002303094-Required-firewall-ports-and-IP-Ranges James -
DPO in private schools
Jamman960 replied to Simcfc73's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
We're the same, our bursar remains as our data protection lead - there isn't really enough work to justify a full time member of staff (380 students) or at least there won't be once we've finished getting policies into place etc -
[sims] Dropping support for Direct SQL data extracting
Jamman960 replied to RLR's topic in MIS Systems
Thanks Phil, I suspected that would be the case unless Capita were to implement some form of monitoring app/agent outside of MS SQL server. I hadn't really thought about the ignoring permissions side of things. I think its fair enough for Capita to say they don't support this method of data extraction, putting technological methods in to stop it would be another matter though although I imagine they could do it under the guise of data integrity as anything capable of extracting data via direct SQL could easily change data with a minor query tweak. Its not like there aren't other ways to pull the data via commandline reporter etc -
[sims] Dropping support for Direct SQL data extracting
Jamman960 replied to RLR's topic in MIS Systems
Wisepay uses GroupCall exporter which pulls everything out via reports, SchoolPost pulls straight from sql. The vast majority of apps seem to use groupcall in my experience - MLS, Show my homework, Doddle, Wisepay do at least. Phil: is Sql extraction going to be blocked in some way? and will it affect onprem servers? We’re not planning to move away from SchoolPost anytime soon, I’ve always understood that it’s ok so long as it’s not writing to the server in which case all support would be invalid.
