Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Lithium

Members
  • Posts

    235
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Lithium

  1. What did you write it in? When I open the file (notepad) and find that section, there are some extra characters on the lines... (namely a little square box thingy)... not sure if that makes a difference... never created anything in something other than notepad for the simple reason, it has no fomatting skills.
  2. What if you want to boot from that DVD? DVD's have an available disc space of 4.4GB... not the 4.7GB as advertised. No idea why, very annoying too... (or at least the last 9 packs I've had all are)
  3. We did this a few months back, and used Robocopy. Brilliant little tool, includes security copying, file/folder retries etc and logging so you can find out what did/didn't copy as well. http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/07/robocopy-syntax-command-line-switches-and-examples/
  4. Lithium

    CLI & GUI

    If you're looking to output something, I'd vote out GUI... much easier to look at data that way... CLI is good for scripted and where necessary... I'm lazy and prefer GUI's though
  5. Options > Local Resources Untick "printers". I personally have found it useful in some situations, it meant I can print to the printer next to, or near me than somewhere half way across site
  6. Have you tried without the '\' ? Just to see if for some reason it's escaping the next character?
  7. As long as you're careful.. you could delete the old copy. You could always ignore too and change how long those options appear for so it doesn't ask you... I'd be inclined to format it though, much cleaner and it'll definately clear it all out for you etc. I think when you end up with that choice, both OS's share the same Program Files folder etc... not sure.
  8. Ours is done on an OU basis... Only Securus and the always annoying searchstar controls are applied at domain level. Then it goes and has common software (office, flash etc) is applied on OU1, department software (Dartfish Classroom) OU2 and Room software OU3 (if that room also has an office, then OU4) There are also a few installs which are done as group memberships, IP Softphone is, Adobe Reader 8 is (as well as being global - kept removing itself) and that's about it really. I worked hard over the course of about a year to structure AD in a friendly way that things like this are just a click in, click off. I just wish Group Policy could push out MSP's *shakes fist at Adobe* Other than updating MSI's during half-terms etc, can you not apply a revised policy which upgrades another policy and then slowly promote & apply it to child OU's? Just a thought since I seem able to move a computer account between two OU's where software is different and it will only apply the changes, it won't uninstall office etc and then reinstall it, because the same policy is applied in both locations...
  9. There's a whole bunch of Group Policy settings pertaining to User Profiles, though I can't remember where they are... I have issues using those, so I get delprof to removing roaming profiles when computers startup. For a software package to install at startup... you need either an application which can install silently, or an MSI for that app. The former can be done as a startup script using a batch file or whatever, the latter may need a bit of tweaking the MSI to make it install silently, there are a few guides and questions about it around here, and on appdeploy.com which is a very handy site. Office 2003 and 2007 at the least both come with a properly formed MSI. You'll need to get hold of the OCW (Office Customisation Wizard) which will help you make it how you want it, the license key, which programs you do/don't want etc etc. Adobe CS3 is a nightmare and I've only bothered wasting my time using the basic, Silent Install method.
  10. If I remember it rightly, you use a title="" in the tag.
  11. We've got a line from both SWGfL and Eclipse. We haven't had any problems with either line really and if the SWGfL goes down, it's usually down everywhere else too. Uptime on both is on, on and on... although we are based a few hundred metres from the BT exchange... Eclipse didn't seem to question our 50gb+ bandwidth usage last week alone (stupid adobe software...) either...
  12. I get plenty of questions from students asking where the right click is on a Mac... We have right click enabled in places where it's needed and isn't a risk and places where it isn't, its disabled.... so they can view properties and retrieve their own previous versions of files, but they can't view the properties of drives, taskbars etc. It's a comprimise... you can't give them too much rights otherwise you can riot with it, or you can take so much away, that you get "Access is Denied" when you sneeze near it.
  13. Lithium

    Nintendo DS's

    I've got Dr Kawashima's Brain Training and spent a few weeks getting my Brain Age down to the optimium Though it's not mathematically based. There's a list of 20 and a list of 100 sums available for either easy or hard mode (hard has divide and multiply in, easy doesn't) There's also a triangle type set of sums which involve doing a top row sum, then middle row and writing in the answer. There's also a few memory games and logic in there... about 1/2 is maths. I liked it, I believe there is a newer version out which I haven't got around to trying out yet, but I might go grab it and the other one you've mentioned. I'd say this is a good use of money, as long as they don't get broken. I always did these in school occasionally and hated having to listen to the posh, announciated woman reading out the questions from a tape, plus this way, it's a lot quicker and they could see who can get the fastest time
  14. Don't China do the above already? And a few years back, didn't China ban Google because they weren't based, or have an office in China?
  15. Linux systems can do it, but it's complex as far as I know and I'm not sure how to even start that... mod_ntlm? Windows IIS just needs you to turn on Authentication with Digest Server (or something about Digests Authentication) then the $_SERVER['AUTH_USER'] var (or something similar will be populated) If it's only a simple thing, you may be able to abuse Internet Explorer and use embeded VBScript... not sure how you would do that either. 2 other ways around it are to use ASP/ASP.net or an ActiveX control... there are probably other ways of doing it too.
  16. 1. If you can run MySQL/SQL Express/ IIS... you can run this. (I split IIS and database for other reasons and that works pretty well ) 2. I downloaded SQL 2005 Express from the microsoft site. Follow the instructions to install and set up a database from there too... it's pretty easy (except when it comes to granting access to SQL, I just used the SA account in the end ) 3. Copy the whole folder to C:\Inetpub\www_root\ Unless you've set up another IIS account to run it, in which case, use that folder. I've not used 9.6b yet, so I might be wrong
  17. Have you tried disabling the Automatic Update service? (or patching it...) Have you tried just watching what happens in Task Manager to see if something happens that is lame? We had a similar issue with McAfee 8.5 where it would scan the network drive because it felt like it (or something stupid like that) but that's fixed by HotFix 4.
  18. Local via USB... although it has some wierd Parallel - USB converter type thing attached and I would try a parallel, except the ends are the same on both ends :/
  19. In typical Printer fashion, it stopped being "installed" this morning. Now, whenever you remove it completely (I think...) restart and try to install it, printer connected and disconnected - it throws out an error message: The specified procedure could not be found The printer is a HP LaserJet 1000... and I can't think of anything else to try - does anyone have any ideas?
  20. We're using the 2003 Server R2 Print Management Console to do this and deploy the printer on a per-machine basis, works really well. The other alternative is to turn on Loopback, and apply a user GPO to a computer OU for a similar effect. I had thought about doing the way you had mentioned too... The way I planned was to grab just the computer name though and run it through a SELECT CASE strComputerName case 1 add printer1 case 2 add printer2 end select Of course, you could probably do exactly the same with the OU name that the computer is a part of. I'm sure there's something for this in the wiki too...
  21. The paperplane one is the best
  22. Have you thought about Spiceworks? I think that's quite good for asset management... not used it in a domain though, only at home messing around
  23. What about using the Deploy utility to install NSS? That's my chosen way of doing it... it's worked really well for us, no issues really and it's only a few clicks - same as a GPO really, but it doesn't have to process the GPO every boot
×
×
  • Create New...