Lithium
Members-
Posts
235 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Lithium
-
Not sure if this will help you... I changed a whole set of security settings for Internet Zones in IE7 across the whole domain... So far, the only issues with that change are opening PDF's from the special magical Edexel mailbox that the exam lady here has. Once I added it to a Trusted Zone (which has low security settings), it would open no arguments.
-
We deployed those updates using a startup script.
-
Just a shame all the tracks are becoming concrete jungles. Umm... :confused: Or did I misinterpret?
-
Can I just ask what's wrong with the Zero Config Utility? If you could obtain an MSI of the stuff you want to install, you can deploy it with a WMI filter attached
-
If students use Roaming Profiles (mandatory is classed here too) and Staff don't... you can... Otherwise I guess you'd need to look at a VBS script to do it, I think there's one or two here on Edugeek, if not, they're easy enough to find. Not particularly brilliant with delprof, but I don't think it can...
-
How long have you had it? I obtained the latest release on Monday/Tuesday and recieved a brand spanking new box this week too... they gave my v5.42 by mail and the new box has .42 on too...
-
We've not filtered it... even if you do get some questionable results when searching for the most relevant things... IE: Devon
-
External telephony and data at an external site.
Lithium replied to ranj's topic in Wireless Networks
We have a couple of 133mb Wireless Bridges at our site provided by a local company... well, they were, (Piping Hot / Orthogon Systems... which became Motorola) they work well and are NLoS. I guess having a Wireless Bridge ultimately depends how much you plan on running off it. We've got several access points, several IP phones, several computers and several laptops hanging off the end of it and nobody has really made any big complaints about it... not sure why in the cab that it links to, there's a full 24 port switch and an 8 port switch... but still. Run a fibre through the sewers between the two buildings? -
Group Policy not fully applying
Lithium replied to speckytecky's topic in Network and Classroom Management
XP utilises a FLO (Fast Logon Optimisation) so not all policies will apply without restarting, then restarting without logging on. I'd check out Event Viewer, see if it's logging any issues there and obviously the previously mentioned, GPMC Results Wizard is very useful, it lists denied GPO's, winning GPO's etc it's the biz when it comes to working certain stuff out (the rest is stabs in the dark ) Is your network 2003 servers? -
On some of our Dell machines, the only way we could get them to be found was to "Load Setup Defaults"... we never found what options it even changed either...
-
the only thing I like about FF3 is clicking the favicon on the flipside.. it trashed my site to bits.
-
Not entirely sure... I didn't do any of that stuff, I've just looked at it in quiet admiration It wasn't all that cheap I remember... pretty scalable too - given that it's a full 3U SAN solution.
-
Votes 2626 too... Only downside with it is, the 2626 doesn't power our Aironet Access Points... the 8 port version does though. Good switch NtL
-
We've recently spent a lot of money on some Mac's and an EditShare for them... In the past though, we've always had a second HDD in each of the computers which students save all their work too. Worked well... until the drives start to die I can't see why you haven't linked them into your existing AD Structure... If you don't want policies etc to apply, then you can "Block Inheritance" and set your own custom GPO's on the OU which contains the computers, only these will apply to those computers then.
-
He comes close to laughing at one point quite obvious when you watch it a second time.
-
You posted the second half... the first half shows "beyond the environment"
-
Didn't they tweak BD-DVD to hold much more than that, the same as they did with the short-lived HD-DVD? I've played Burnout.. I didn't have any issues with the soundtrack, in fact for about 3 days, I had just 1 track playing over and over. I like the MotorStorm soundtrack too... which is wierd since it's not my style of music... I guess everything these are individual opinions... I would have loved to read the messages I recieve when playing games etc, but I know it's coming so I'm just accepting that I can do it down the line. As for Dolby TrueHD: Engadget & it's slightly bizarre collection of followers seem to disagree with you: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/08/no-dolby-truehd-or-dts-hd-for-ps3-owners/ Not having any form of Surround Sound myself, can't say though.
-
I can't exactly give any reason why it would, I've just merely said that there is at least one game that actually supports custom soundtracks, I'm sure there's another one or two as well. (SSD:HD has it in an update). I can't actually come up with a reason why I would want to have custom soundtracks in the game either... I bought it to play, not to listen to my own music through.
-
I've only ever run VBS files at logon from the NETLOGON folder... then in AD I just link them by filename... so logon.vbs is in AD, the full path being \\domain.local\netlogon\logon.vbs Have you tried running the script by itself to make sure it works? and it's not being blocked by Software Restriction Policies etc.
-
PS3 can do Custom Soundtracks. According to Sony and an article about the "first" game to feature such a function (which was some bowling game if memory serves...) The function was always there and just needed people to actually use it. With FW 2.4 (June/July apparently) parts of the XMB will be available in game, friends and messaging is what was shown in the leaked picture which was later confirmed, though I'm not totally sure what will be available. Now the PS3 has been out for a while, a lot of the upcoming titles that I looked at for the 360, are available on the PS3 as well... I wasn't too happy when F:FoW was announced as cancelled like... 2 weeks ago.. but I can just buy it for PC and use my PS3 controller (hopefully that'll work...) But the reason for me to buy a 360 is really low compared to it constantly niggling in the back of mind this time last year, when there were very few titles to choose. PSN always has fun games like PixelJunk Monsters, WarHawk and Super StarDust HD Uncharted is well worthy of "true worth", I never understood what the fascination with Halo is... all my pals loved it.. I got bored in under an hour... so I guess that leaves what's defined as "true worth" as a personal opinion. *points at LittleBigPlanet*
-
This would be our incomplete, but working one, I left the rest out since it's not working 100%, reads a few files and does some things which are student specific just for fun etc. (Don't ask why I didn't just enumerate the drives, because I don't know ) '-------------------------------------- ' South Dartmoor Community College '-------------------------------------- ' Script Name: logon.vbs ' Created On: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 ' Created By: Philip Widdowson ' Last Edited: ' Edited By: '-------------------------------------- On Error Resume Next '-------------------------------------- ' Set up Variables and Create Objects '-------------------------------------- Dim oNet, oFSO, oWSH, ADSysInfo, CurrentUser, oTF Dim FPath, GPath, KPath, MPath, NPath, OPath, PPath, SPath, UPath Dim PE Dim Message, PathToConfig, WallPaperPath, ActiveDesktopPath Const TitleBar = "South Dartmoor Community College" Const crlf = chr (13) & chr (10) Set oNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network") Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set oWSH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Set ADSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo") Set CurrentUser = GetObject("LDAP://" & ADSysInfo.UserName) FPath = "\\simsserver\admin" MPath = "\\nx1950-stu\class-files" MPathE = "\\nx1950-stu\class-files\Exams\" NPath = "\\nx1950-adm\staff-pers\" & oNet.UserName OPath = "\\nx1950-stu\students\intake" & Left( oNet.Username, 2 ) & "\" oNet.UserName PPath = "\\nx1950-adm\apps-share" SPath = "\\nx1950-adm\staff-shared" UPath = "\\nx1950-stu\students" '-------------------------------------- ' Random Message '-------------------------------------- Message = "Welcome to " & oNet.UserDomain & ". Please wait while you are logged on." oWSH.Popup Message, 2, TitleBar '-------------------------------------- ' Do Student or Staff specific things '-------------------------------------- If oFSO.DriveExists("F:") Then oNet.RemoveNetworkDrive "F:", True, True If oFSO.DriveExists("G:") Then oNet.RemoveNetworkDrive "G:", True, True If oFSO.DriveExists("K:") Then oNet.RemoveNetworkDrive "K:", True, True If oFSO.DriveExists("M:") Then oNet.RemoveNetworkDrive "M:", True, True If oFSO.DriveExists("N:") Then oNet.RemoveNetworkDrive "N:", True, True If oFSO.DriveExists("O:") Then oNet.RemoveNetworkDrive "O:", True, True If oFSO.DriveExists("P:") Then oNet.RemoveNetworkDrive "P:", True, True If oFSO.DriveExists("S:") Then oNet.RemoveNetworkDrive "S:", True, True If oFSO.DriveExists("U:") Then oNet.RemoveNetworkDrive "U:", True, True If LCase( Left( oNet.UserName, 1 ) ) = "0" Then If Not oFSO.DriveExists("M:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "M:", MPath If Not oFSO.DriveExists("O:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "O:", OPath If Not oFSO.DriveExists("P:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "P:", PPath ElseIf LCase( Left( oNet.UserName, 4 ) ) = "exam" Then If Not oFSO.DriveExists("M:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "M:", MPathE If Not oFSO.DriveExists("O:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "O:", OPath Else If Not oFSO.DriveExists("F:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "F:", FPath, False If Not oFSO.DriveExists("M:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "M:", MPath, False If Not oFSO.DriveExists("N:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "N:", NPath, False If Not oFSO.DriveExists("P:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "P:", PPath, False If Not oFSO.DriveExists("S:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "S:", SPath, False If Not oFSO.DriveExists("U:") Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "U:", UPath, False End If '-------------------------------------- ' Local NAS Mapping '-------------------------------------- If LCase( Left( oNet.ComputerName, 2) ) = "pe" Then If InStr( StrGroups, PE ) Then oNet.MapNetworkDrive "G:", "\\10.3.47.220\pe" End If We deploy our printers using R2 PMC which is rather useful for this.
-
Got that too... and Windows Installer disabled We've not had any problems with it though, we did do it slowly over time. The only major thing with it is traversing between trusted and non-trusted sites always asks if you want to proceed or not, but its nothing too drastic.
-
*laughs* I guess I'm unique (so far) been on both sides of this fence... When it's happy, Securus works perfectly, violations drop in regularly, never had speed issues (after setting it to 100FDx).. there's a tiny drop loading the full screen pics when several people connect at once, but nothing critical. The other side is for 3 days I couldn't get hold of Securus, though when I did, they were quite helpful... even if almost all the stupid things with securus can be solved with a restart (even fatal errors...) But, we got stuck on this fabled 5.3 release and I hadn't been able to get into Loader Mode after one lucky stab... (that black button hold thing NEVER EVER works for me... and select LM from the LCD panel crashed it...) So, it's sitting in the post room awaiting the mighty Citylink to collect it and drop of the new one. eSafe does sound da biz though.
-
In the Customisation Wizard for creating the the Install... I remember seeing an option which let you specify what the default file type was for saving documents in O2k7 is... Not sure if it worked... I merely played around with it to make sure I could deploy it.
-
We disabled File Downloads in Internet Explorer outright for the internet zone. Then just added places like the college website, VLE, Sims Learning Gateway etc as Trusted Websites and allow File Downloads from that zone only - seems to work really well.
