-
Posts
412 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mitchell1981
-
Hosted Sims down for us completely now. Not sure if just us or everyone? Can anyone confirm? We just get this:
-
Latest update: Good afternoon, We are continuing to investigate this issue. If you have a case open with your support provider, can we ask, that if you have not already done so, could you to provide the names of the 3rd Party applications you are using. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience while this issue has been on-going. A further update will be provided by 16:30 on Tuesday, 12th October. Kind Regards, SIMS Support
-
No improvement for us either. Regarding chaplic's suggestion, I'm not sure it it applies as the VPN uses UDP rather than TCP. I may be wrong as I'm not an expert on how these protocols work. I have played around with the MTU on the connection, but to no effect. I'm not sure if this setting needs tweaking at both ends though which I cannot do. Here is a screen shot of the VPN log, and the current ping situation.
-
Hi all, sorry, just bumping this as we are still having horrible problems with our Hosted Sims VPN on our Third party Connector server. Slow pings, packets dropped etc.. Edulink which connects via this server is failing to update, and other services are failing to sync reliably due to the issues. Case is open with ESS but not going anywhere fast. They keep saying they have tweaked the settings but nothing changes at our end. If anyone with the same Hosted Sims setup could just run a ping on their third party server to their Sims Host and let me know what sort of results you get I would be grateful, just so we can find out if it's just us with the problem. Edulink have suggested they may have other schools experiencing the same problems. Thanks.
-
Believe me I know this! We had a cyber attack and local Sims was completely lost. I recommended that we move to a proper cloud based MIS, but was overruled on the basis that it was 'too much change during a stressful time'! So hosted Sims was chosen instead. Crazy desicion in my opinion, as we had the opportunity to start from scratch with something new and modern. I'm hoping that a year of the horrible logon process will be enough to give the kick we need to move to something better! In the meantime we are stuck trying to get it to work properly.
-
Hi All, We are using hosted Sims, with a single server on site connected via VPN to provide essential services. However, the performance on this VPN connected machines is poor. When pinging our Sims host from our on site server we get response times like this: We have a 1Gbps Fibre connection, and internet performance is generally great. I don't expect a VPN to be perfect, but it is regularly timing out, and crashing, and as a result, scheduled tasks are failing to connect. Can anyone else running hosted Sims do a similar test on their VPN, just to see what they get for comparison please? We are talking to support, and after a day of fiddling they are saying it is our problem! Thanks.
-
Very quick question! See screenshot. Is this all I need to tick to get all the Windows updates, or do I need to tick every version? Also, 21H1 isn't even on the list, but 21H2 is. Is that because 'Windows 10' is always the latest released version? Thanks!
-
Hi All, We've configured Onedrive using Known Folder Move, and works fine. However, it only moves Documents, Pictures, and Desktop. Everything else just points to the C: Drive. Is there a way to removed these folders, or redirect them also? I tried using the group policy 'Follow the Documents Folder' but it won't have it, as the Documents folder technically isn't redirected. It's not a major problem, but it's going to catch someone out at some point. Thanks.
-
Premiere Pro and OneDrive Home Folder - Loading importerquicktime.prm
mitchell1981 replied to mitchell1981's topic in Windows
Thanks for the hint. Closing OneDrive made no different, but closing our Cloud Drive Mapper software did the job. Something to do with the folder redirection it is doing in the background. I'll have to look at getting rid of that and doing it the proper Microsoft way if I can get it to work. Thanks. -
Has anyone else had a problem with Premiere Pro (2021 but I think it affects 2020 too), getting stuck while loading on: loading importerquicktime.prm Lots of suggestions online but they seem to involve either running as admin, or deleting files from appdata which aren't there. I think this started after I migrated home drives to OneDrive. I notice that Adobe is creating an appdata structure inside the Onedrive (rather than on the C:Drive) so I thought this may be part of it. Staff accounts seem to be able to run Premiere Pro ok, but they don't have OneDrive set up.
-
Hi All, Quick question for those of you that have successfully transitioned to using OneDrive for your user documents. I've got it set up and connected and documents migrated successfully. The users can access OneDrive successfully and all the special folders point to the right place. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I still need to connect the 'Home folder' in the User Properties in AD. Is this literally just a drive mount, or does it have any other significance? Will not filling it in break anything or mean things get dumped on the C: drive? Thanks.
-
I'm sure this has been answered on here many times, but I'm struggling to find a clear answer. We are half way through migrating all students documents from local shares over to Onedrive using the Sharepoint Migration Tool. That is working fine. Students currently have access to both. When I switch off the Folder Redirection to the server and just leave them with Onedrive, what happens to the special folders: Documents / Pictures / Music etc... The folders themselves are all moved over to Onedrive so the content is all good, but will those links in 'This PC' all point to nothing or switch back to the C:Drive? Can they be redirected to point to Onedrive without using third party tools? Thanks very much.
-
Endpoint Manager/SCCM and Government Dynabook Tecra a40-g
mitchell1981 replied to mitchell1981's topic in Enterprise Software
Not sure if you fixed this but I eventually found the driver that was missing. It was an intel storage drive but it needed unpacking before it would import into SCCM. Let me know if you need a copy. -
Internet speed - Is this normal?
mitchell1981 replied to mitchell1981's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Yes, thank makes sense. I'll give it a go. Thanks. -
Can anyone else with Smoothwall and a 1Gbps fibre connection show me what this graph shows on your external connection: I just want to gauge if this is normal, or a bit slow. Seems a bit slow to me, and lots of people complaining about slow remote access. Our fibre is synchronous. Thanks!
-
Definitely switch it on. It works pretty flawlessly for us and saves a lot of space. I think the only thing to check it that your backup will understand the deduplication, as you don't want small data and massive backups!
-
Hi All, We have Edulink writing back communication events to Sims. They appear as attached documents in the Communication Log of a students profile. The problem is for some Sims users this box is completely blank, and no attached documents show. Does anyone know what Sims permission makes this appear? Edulink support did not know, and suggested trial and error but I can't face doing that any more! I know that users in the 'Senior Management Team' group see it, but that is about as far as I've got. I've also eliminated the 'Core' section, which is where Edulink thought the permission was. Thanks.
-
Hi All, I think this is probably impossible, but just thought I'd ask. Salamander populates our staff Oulook calendars with their lessons. Teachers have been using these pre-populated lessons to set up Teams meetings for their classes by clicking on the class and inviting the class to the meeting. This works fine. BUT Because this is a 'normal' meeting, it is not tied to an actual Team (channel), even if you pick the class group as attendees it is effectively an ad-hoc meeting with the group. Because the meeting is already on the teachers calendar it is a 'existing meeting' so the option to add a channel is missing. This option is only availble for new meetings. Has anyone found a way to add a channel to an existing meeting, so teachers can continue to make use of the meetings that Salamander creates. Alternatively, is it theroretically possible that Salamander could create channel meetings instead of 'normal' meetings when it populates the calendars. I will ask them this question. Thanks.
-
Yes, did this recently. It didn't work until the following day so give it a bit longer.
-
Is anyone else also experiencing Outlook crashing on a regular basis in the last few day? (When connected to Office 365 I mean). Just wondering if it's our problem or related to the nationwide strain on 365.
-
Be aware that this can take a long time to take affect. I thought it wasn't working, but the next day it did. Same for the lobby setting. Of course by the time it kicked in the teachers had changed their minds and wanted it set back the other way, so had to wait another day!
-
Thanks. Mine is definitely not working then. Also just noticed in the Salamander log that is says. "Failed to upload files to SIS Sync." I'll get on to Salamander and see if they can see why.
-
Sorry, could someone who is using Salmander to update their files, look at their SDS dashboard and tell me if this 'last updated' date is supposed to update every day, or is it just the last time the profile itself was updated. Thank you.
