Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICT_GUY

Members
  • Posts

    2,543
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ICT_GUY

  1. I remote access into everything, I hardly move ever.
  2. ICT_GUY

    Eurovision

    Catchy.
  3. Not my white shepherd, she's very pretty, if you tell her otherwise she will eat you.
  4. http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/fac82467dc.jpg I have a 2 x 2 " window of the fleet thats as near to a window as I get, though I am getting a sky light soon.
  5. I have a rule only to date teachers, ok one teacher, but its an unbroken rule!
  6. Tell me something I didn't know. From /. "While technologies such as virtualization, multi-threading, and blade servers have made the data center leaner, those who work there are getting... well... not leaner. According to a new study by CareerBuilder.com, 34 percent of IT workers say they have gained more than ten pounds in their current jobs. And 16 percent say they've gained at least twice that. The culprits seem to be the stressful-yet-sedentary nature of tech work coupled with our famously poor eating habits. According to the survey, some 41 percent of IT workers eat out for lunch twice or more per week, making portion and calorie control difficult. Eleven percent buy their lunch out of a vending machine at least once a week." Channel Insider Blog - Channel Chatter - IT Workers Weigh In on Health Habits Slashdot | IT Workers Are Getting Fatter
  7. Ha I never knew that the scales were there!
  8. ICT_GUY

    Tiscali

    Sent a rather nastyl letter to Tiscali last week, threatening taking them to court over breach of contract along with a load of evidence. I was demanding that the terminate the contract, and imediately give us a mac code. My download speed was up at 6.5megs last night until 7:30 at which point it dropped to around 3megs. Its been like that since Monday. No other contact has been made to us. The 14 day limit is still aways away.
  9. I grabbed the video last night and uploaded it.
  10. 1 gigabit coper backbone 3 10/100 managed switches 1 24 port gigabit managed switch Buying a managed 48 port gigabit managed switch for the new suite. Not bad for a small primary school.
  11. Ok a bit of a break in replying. After a lot of thinking, playing around with stuff and talking to the local top geeks in the area. I have decided to go with ISA server on Server 2008. Total licence cost is around the £90 mark (love education licences, got to confirm this btw) and it just works. Not even that difficult to set up. Its certainly easier to get working than squid was and so far has not caused any issues.
  12. ICT_GUY

    Gay Wedding

    I'm all for gay weddings, why should they be spared the pain?
  13. ICT_GUY

    Gay Wedding

    Me neither, good for him.
  14. Also, double Doh! Although I had allowed all internal networks access, the local host had been dnied by the default rule. So I fixed that doh!
  15. I should mention that it is only being used as a proxy. Though I could use it as a second firewall, at the momment its just to accellerate the kiddiwinks browsing.
  16. Any dual head card with two dvi outputs should work, I did have issues with a radeon card though.
  17. Please can you give me your thoughts on why, ease of config or capacity maybe?
  18. I have the time limited demo of isa server installed and working for clients. It is set up as a caching proxy, and seems to be working well. I have issues though. 1. I cannot access the internet from the isa server when logged on to it. That is when on the server if I fire up IE it gives an error (Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The ISA Server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). (12202) ) Thats with IE pointing itself, if pointing towards the normal school proxy it times out. 2. Is it possible to run IIS as well? Along with WSUS on the same server? I had it set up and it died.
  19. This might help. Setting up Squid as your caching HTTP/FTP proxy By Trevor Warren Posted: ( 2000-10-23 07:35:41 EST by ) Squid is a proxy caching server for HTTP/FTP requests. It caches data off the net on your local network. So the next time the same data is being accessed, whether it is html or a gif, it gets served up from the local server rather than over the Internet -- saving you significant bandwidth. Lets use the most commonly available proxy server for Linux and the most stable one around, Squid. Installing and configuring it is a breeze as you'll soon find out. To make things simpler I would suggest that you get the Squid RPM from any of the download on the net for your distro.The latest Stable release of Squid is squid-2.3.STABLE1-5.i386.rpm. If you are not able to find it on your distro's CD then i would suggest you try out Rpmfind mirror. After having downloaded the RPM install it with the following command. Assuming you have downloaded the squid-2.3.STABLE1-5.i386.rpm release the installation command is as follows. bash# rpm -ivh squid-2.3.STABLE1-5.i386.rpm And please do note that "bash#" stands for the shell prompt and you do not need to replicate it in your command. Having installed Squid sucessfully, now open the file /etc/squid.conf using your favourite text editor. Some distributions put this file in /etc/squid/. This is where it gets interesting and confusing too so read carefully. Scroll down till you come to the line #http_port 3128 This option sets your HTTP proxy port to 3128 which is the default port that squid runs on. You can uncomment this line and set it to whatever port you want. It is advisable to avoid port 80 since, if you are running a Web Server on the Linux machine Apache would be listening on that port. Scroll down till you come to the line #cache_mem 8 MB This option sets a limit on the amount of memory that squid may make use of to store it's transient and cached objects temporarily in memory. This limit that you may impose on squid is the soft limit and at any given point of time Squid may double or triple the size of occupied memory all depending on the size and the requirement of in-transient cached objects. Uncomment this line and change the size of your Memory cache from 8 MB to what ever size you want it too be. Keep in mind the amount of RAM that you have on your machine when you allocate memory to SQUID. But for your knowledge this occupancy of the specified Memory Limit is dynamic. Scroll down until you come to the following lines # LOGFILE PATHNAMES & CACHE DIRECTORIES #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following options are relative to setting up and tuning your web cache. So lets get gunning pals. Here the first and most important one. #cache_dir /var/squid/cache 100 16 256 Isn't this getting a little confusing, one parameter and three values to it! C'mon let's demystify the whole thing. The values given here are the values the Squid will use by default. So if the 'cache_dir' option isn't implicitly mentioned then Squid resolves to maintaining the cache in /var/squid/cache. Uncomment this option 'cache_dir' if you want to customize the parameters. The first parameter '/var/squid/cache' is the path to the cache files. You may change this to suit whatever you want too, but remember whatever path you may mention out here make sure that those directories exist because Squid will never create the directories on it's own. Also a point to be noted is that the directories should be writable by the Squid process. If you are a novice and all of this is sounding too geekish then I suggest you stick to the default values. The next value '100' is the amount of space in MegaBytes(MB) that Squid can utilize to store the cache contents. Modify this to whatever you think is appropriate to suit your needs. The next value referred to as 'Level-1' is the number of sub-directories that Squid can create under the current Cache directory. I suggest that for starters leave this as it is. The next option is referred to as 'Level-2' is the number of Second Level directories that Squid can create under each 'Level-1' directory. The default is fine for the moment. Scroll down till you come to the line: # ACCESS CONTROLS # ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following lines define Access Control Lists for your Network. Squid allows you to define various kinds of ACL's out here. So make it a point to read this whole section of Access Controls carefully. In this "ACCESS CONTROLS" section scroll down till you come to the following lines. #Default configuration: http_access allow manager localhost http_access deny manager http_access deny !Safe_ports http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports # # INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR # CLIENTS # http_access deny all What you need to do out here, is to setup your own ACL's (Access Control Lists), else just comment out the last line as shown above and put the following line in. http_access allow all So now your rule section should look like this. # INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR # CLIENTS #http_access deny all http_access allow all Three cheers and your proxy has been setup. Now you only need to make sure that Squid starts every time your Linux box boots. If your using RedHat then you can start in the following manner. Login as Admin or "su" to root & use the "setup" command. Now enter the System Services sub menu and enable Squid. If your using SuSE then start YaST and go to "System Administration", then go to "Change config File", then scroll down till you come to "START SQUID" & just enable it from "NO" to "YES". The next time you reboot your machine your Proxy will start automatically. Before you start using squid you need to create the swap directories. Do this by /usr/sbin/squid -z This just has to be done the first time. To start Squid right now use the following command bash#/etc/rc.d/init.t/squid start There, you have setup, configured and started your proxy. Just make sure your client's web browsers have the http proxy port setup as the same port in your /etc/squid.conf file. Squid Home Page Other articles by Trevor Warren Any good?
  20. YouTube - She Amazed Me She amazed me, makes no sense what so ever, much like my life and the universe in general. I can think of nothing more suitable. She spinned round and round with a frog in her ear Whispering fountains and rocks she couldn't hear. Perfect.
  21. GF getting mighty peved off at the amount of time spent on this game. XBOX360 crack.
  22. dabs.com - HP DL140 G3 Xeon 5310 1600-4MB (470064-432) Quad core, 2 gigs of ram, rack mounted £350. Needs a second HD though.
  23. I already use squid running under 2003 server. Only thing I have found is that it upset certain services such as webmail and the such like. However, I was interested in an ISA server as a solution for simplicity, as I have access to a couple of gurus near by.
  24. The joke being that it was widely reported as fact by the media.
  25. So is an isa sever a good option for hosting the expresso content? I just dont like the idea of using the RM sever since as far as I am concerned its poo and I dont like relying on stuff I don't have control over (you can login but thats it, no admin control or low level control).
×
×
  • Create New...