-
Posts
2,543 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICT_GUY
-
Going to vista would be a great excuse for dumping all our old software, say around 70% of it, also I guess our computer suite would have to be upgraded. 4.4gig celerons with 512 ram is not going to give people the vista experience. Server 2008 all round though, and probably the 64bit versions at that.
-
Also does anyone use the logmein pro version, its a hell of a lot cheaper than gotomypc at $70 per year (£36) and seems to have more of the functionality of gotomypc. (file transfer and such like).
-
Well I used gotomypc last night and it worked flawlessly. I have it installed onto my workstation which then allowed me to remote desktop and VNC around the network. It was very weird doing it for the first time, noting that 2 of the suite PCs were left on and logging them off. Also worked for accessing my web cam. Only thing is I started to play some MP3s, forgetting that A) the speakers were on in my work room and B) SMT were having a meeting across the corridor. I'm about to download some screams and other ghostly sounds. In conjunction with the webcam I should be able to give someone a heart attack.
-
[closed] layout issue: firefox problem
ICT_GUY replied to CyberNerd's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Me too, it will load eventually. IE7 wont allow me to logon, cant be bothered to work out why. -
Its what I have herd, and it does put a spoiler on things. Did the GPS work?
-
Anyone using this or PCanywhere or just plain remote desktop? How do you access your servers from home? GOTOMYPC seems to work through the firewalls but costs £100 per year and I am sure there are other ways of doing this. Its Citrix based BTW.
-
I have used them, They are OK but you really have to want the images badly to be bothered with the hassle.
-
Hows the N95? I'm tempted, also the N82 and the Sony C902. Anyone know of any 12mth contracts?
-
I would dig my heals in and proclaim it a very bad idea.
-
Why would you want to but that hateful bloatware on your PC's?
-
dabs.com - Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2200 2.2GHz 1M Cache S775 800MH (BX80557E2200) dabs.com - XFX S775 nForce 610i/GeForce 7050 DDR2 MATX A L G (MG-610I-7059) dabs.com - Crucial 512MB 200PIN DDR2 PC2-4200 NON ECC (CT6464AC53E) Total cost around the £100 mark, plus a grphics card of choice, overclock it and enjoy a hell of a speed boost.
-
Rofl, repetative conditioning at its best.
-
GT8800GT 512mb CPU is 3.2ghz dual core P4 (2 years old yet still good enough, though its days are numbered). 2gigs of ram & XP. 20" TFT, really nice one native 1600 x 1200. Lag gets worse when res goes up. Its the networking overheads for online play I guess.
-
Cool, Though I need a faster CPU as online play becomes jerky at 1600 x 1200. Is fine slower, the single player is fine at high res.
-
IEEE Spectrum: Special Report: The Singularity This was mentioned on the Sarah Connor Chronicles and popped up as a link on the register. So will machines ever be alive? How much of being human is just down to the chemicals flowing through our veins? I think that as a race we are nowhere near as alive as we think we are. Just how many people do you know that if they were playing the PC in a Turing test would have you convinced you were talking to a bot? So much of our daily behaviour is done at an automatic level, governed by experience and basic needs and drives. Just how aware does a machine need to be to be considered alive? How much thinking does the average person actually do? How creative are they? Sure some people do amazing things, several billion do not. At what level of intelligence do you become self aware anyhow? I have worked with some very damaged individuals who although were able to walk had intelligences much less than that of a dog. Are they sentient? Will Google become Skynet? I'm off to the Pie shop, as the chemicals in my stomach are telling my brain that I am hungry and my learned response is to go to the Dorset Cake Shop.
-
Karen's Directory Printer Came across this yesterday, looks very useful.
-
Go for a slower quad core and over clock or buy the new version with 12megs of cache. Prices always slip in July too, so wait till the end of the month. Rest seems fair, but your PSU is expensive for a job that could be done by a unit half the price. Put the money saved towards a better cpu. £219 today 2.66ghz 12megs of cache. dabs.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 12M Cache S775 1333MHZ (BX80569Q9450)
-
Better hope you have a long time to wait. A 5 character brute force attack is estimated to take 9000hrs plus on my core duo PC (2ghz). At 6 characters it simply states "too long" But then again what use is encryption if its easily broken?
-
RAR Password Cracker - Recovery (crack) of lost RAR/WinRAR passwords There is a shareware version, probably locked at a few characters in length (they dont tell you how much longer every extra character is going to cost n cpu time though). It also has a dictionary CD as an optional purchase. How badly do you want this file?
-
Ok a general rule, keep the revs above 2000 when the engine is under load. The higher the load the higher the revs should be. Going up a steep hill you would want to be higher. Coasting on a low gradient hill you can be lower down the rev range. Mechanical sympathy I think is the general rule.
-
How much?
-
The weight of fuel is marginal compared with hunting around for a petrol station every day.
-
I would love to have a small diesel van, non turbo for pottering around with the dogs in. Unfortunately what it would save me is out weighed but the cost of purchase. Also, with the constant tax increases, what car can a family of four (plus four dogs) buy that does not cost the earth in taxes yet is still big enough to get us all where we need to be?
-
TFTS are cheaper? sub £70 now.
