-
Posts
2,543 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICT_GUY
-
Atom Webserver / Home Server
ICT_GUY replied to ICT_GUY's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I have a dell laptop with 512mb of ram and a very slow celeron. Running Ubuntu and xmapp. I can use VNC and ftp to access it. It seems to have more than enough grunt, the only issue I have so far is that FTP seems to take an age to authenticate. I am thinking a cheap netbook would also work, though I doubt that the maplins £100 job would last the week when plugged in 24/7. -
Fuel prices will go up a lot over the next ten years, The age of cheap transport and heavy cars has almost past. Probably.
-
Atom Webserver / Home Server
ICT_GUY replied to ICT_GUY's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Anyone know if mini ITX fits any sort of standard case. Mini ITX cases cost a bomb. -
I am thinking of building a home server / web server around an atom mobo combo and a linux distro. Total hardware cost is likely to be sub £100. The web server part is to use to test websites that I am building and allow customers to see the progress with out it taking up a slot on my main host. Also for the fun of it. Intel 945GC MITX/MATX Atom330 DDR2 (BOXD945GCLF2D) - dabs.com £66 I was thinking of using a USB stick instead of a HD for the OS, is this practical or will performance / reliability be a major issue. With 16GB flash drives available now it could be a very energy efficient proposition. I do have a load of 2.5 inch disks kicking around though. Anyone else done this or had experience of the various pitfalls involved?
-
Now that is just not fair. The MP3 version is far superior, I will see if I can find it hosted somewhere.
-
Very Old but still fun. Troll XP
-
UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads This works a treat, Iso or other image to a usb drive. Ubuntu works a treat.
-
If I update the PC's any future problem will be mine and tech support from county becomes billable.
-
Their policy is, you look after everything or nothing. If I poke around then any problem becomes my problem. I am not here 5 days a week and admin need support 5 days a week. So we have to buy the stuff county supply if we want heir support.
-
Every PC on the school network has a minimum of 2 gigs of ram and a dual core processor. They will run windows 7 comfortably. Dells cheapest PC @ £329 inc VAT & delivery has 2 gigs of ram. My main concern is with the security of the admin network. County have a thing for not installing updates, incase it breaks something. Personally I would rather fix the broken app than a broken network but then again, nothing here is that mission critical.
-
We have just had three "new" admin pc's installed. I need your thought as this is a county installation and network. The computers have come with XP service pack 2 and IE6. I know that county does not want to upgrade to IE7 or 8 but really? IE6 was pants when it came out, now its just terrible. Also they only had a gig of ram installed. Personally I feel that might have been acceptable 3 years ago, but now 4 gigs is the norm on budget PC's. Thoughts on security implications and whether to complain to county please.
-
Breaking the law my putting waste down the public sewer?
-
That could be scary, I am sure I have my fair share of unanswered brain farts of Edugeek.
-
I wish I could find my keys
-
Very freaky
-
Goes live tomorrow with coverage of most of the UK! It should be fun.
-
Quickest way to destroy your credit rating.
-
Visual basic free edition is a fun place to start. Easy to start making useful programs without too many restrictions. I started with zx81 basic, BBC basic, BBC assembly, then skipped a decade and started with scripting and visual basic. I can read PHP just about but find it awkward to program, though only because I have not spent hours coding stuff in it.
-
Site test please: https://ocsp.globalsign.com
ICT_GUY replied to pete's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
ocsp.globalsign.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for ocsp.keynectis.com. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain) -
There are applications that will scan all text on screen for signs of bullying. We do not allow our kids to use email, and they are not allowed unsupervised access to the computer suites. We are a primary.
- 7 replies
-
- external e-mail
- gmail
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Intel have a new device coming out built into their laptops. And pc's
-
Interestingly the other night I was downloading something at 1.4MB/s and I had a moment where it hit me that I was actually transferring data across the phone line at the equivalent speed of a floppy disc per second. I remember when I was well chuffed when I actually had a computer that could hold the entire contents of a floppy in memory.
-
We use paper registers, they don't explode when they get hot.
-
I do have some software that will recover data from bad CD's / dvd's its years old but works treat.
