-
Posts
2,586 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by alan-d
-
It's age DB - gets to us all - I was having the same problem so bit the bullet and went for a test. Result - mild reading specs which I only use on bad days but funnily enough hardly need to wear them at home I can read ok without them but detail isn't as fuzzy with them on. I got mine before I realised I could claim. Apparently you need to register for a test first.
-
This may sound daft but it does happen. Some makes of paper need to be put in a certain way round. If you look at the packaging on the ream it will usually tell you. Other than that it's sandpaper and eventually a maintenance kit.
-
OK - what about a regional noticeboard for LEAs and users to post to.
-
This was suggested in the ancient past, but was never implemented. However I agree it's time to revisit the concept
-
Midlands Techies
alan-d replied to bondbill2k2's topic in Midlands Techies's Midlands Techies Topics
Right then I'll start the revolution here As Edugeek becomes a driving force in the world of education IT, I think we should force the move of Bett 2009 to the NEC and let the overpaid southern softies do the traveling -
Midlands Techies
alan-d replied to bondbill2k2's topic in Midlands Techies's Midlands Techies Topics
Wolverhampton but working in Sutton Coldfield Hi All -
All these old farts are making it smell in here I'm sure I can smell wee as well -
-
Edugeek Award for Competent Program Design?
alan-d replied to SYNACK's topic in Educational Software
Linked to an affiliate scheme maybe- 37 replies
-
- award
- msi deploy
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Edugeek Award for Competent Program Design?
alan-d replied to SYNACK's topic in Educational Software
Going back to grading software titles. A general grading given by Senior/trusted members e.g 1 to 5 stars Then A readers rating which includes a short write up of the product, good and bad points. A bit like the system used by 'Whatcar.com' for cars. Simple and effective but without bias toward any one product.- 37 replies
-
- award
- msi deploy
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Any companies with 3 years inclusive laptop support...
alan-d replied to rpycroft's topic in Budgets and Expenditure
I think Stone computers do a 3 year warranty on their laptops. Samsungs I think. -
Any companies with 3 years inclusive laptop support...
alan-d replied to rpycroft's topic in Budgets and Expenditure
I think Stone computers do a 3 year warranty on their laptops. Samsungs I think. -
We use Frontweb for all our works. Ask for Alan Biggs - Tel 024 7667 3322 email: [email protected] - never had to complain in the 5 years we have used them. They don't have a web site but do most of there work as subcontractors to JBC computing. They will also carry out other works if you need them and want to keep a project with a single contractor. ps - I'm not on a commission btw
-
OMG!! You got boobies 8O
-
EduGeek has joined SALTIS as a partner - please contribute
alan-d replied to crispinw's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
That is commendable and I support that. However, from what I can see so far you will have a membership that will have products that are happy to work together within a Windows or Mac environment at a time when educational establishments will not be able to cover the spiraling costs of those operating systems or the applications. Remember that being a member of SALTIS is of benefit to the profit making companies financially ie if product 'A' can work with products 'B' and 'C' then more sales of Product 'A' can be produced. The bottom line is that educational establishments will still have to pay for those products and no doubt a percentage of the developement time. Therefore would it not be in the interests of the member companies to enourage a working relationship with open source project managers/members so that the poorer establishments can still afford 'product 'A''. Hope that makes sense - bit of a looney asylum here today -
EduGeek has joined SALTIS as a partner - please contribute
alan-d replied to crispinw's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Unfortunately I don't, but it would be a shame to leave them out. Maybe it should be for the SALTIS members to ensure compatability with Open Source products within education, and open up a working relationship with project communities. -
EduGeek has joined SALTIS as a partner - please contribute
alan-d replied to crispinw's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Time will tell if this will work or not but quickly glancing around I notice there is no representation from Open Source Projects such as Moodle, Open Office and Linux OS. Is there a plan to rectify this? With the increasing costs of MS products educational organisations will be turning to the cheaper alternatives therefore any compatability issues and solutions should include those alternatives. -
SP1 not due out till early next year but apparently SP1 RC1 has no significant impact on performance. Of more concern is Microsofts warning that Vista SP1 may cause application compatability problems with programs that run cleanly on unpatched systems. Apparently they are releasing a list of applications it will effect when SP1 is fully available.
-
I've had it about a month and played about an hour online - can't seem to get into it this time.
-
NetSupport School over Wireless
alan-d replied to alan-d's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Thanks -
NetSupport School over Wireless
alan-d replied to alan-d's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Was that on a single laptop or a full class? Thanks for the input. -
Anyone here running Netsupport School over their wireless network? I urgently need to know if there is any significant difference in logons and file transfers etc and if the teacher browsing all the laptops produces a drop in performance. Thanks
-
I bet we get blamed for this as well
-
Dear Mr ~~~ I have received your application for ~~~~~ post, but after reviewing your course work in your home folder decided to throw the application in the bin as I feel you are wasting your time, even though you have yet to complete the course. You may think the above is extreme - but I have seen it happen on more than one occassion even after the DPA came in.
-
In a simplistic term 'Bullying' or using information gained from a users area to intimidate or facilitate decisions. User areas are provided for personal and professional development in connection with his/her duties within the school as well as T&L activities.
-
Well, several people in our SMT *do* have access to all staff areas... That is obviously a local decision and assuming that all users involved are happy with that then that is fine. However, should a member of staff, or a student for that matter decide that such access is likely to cause damage or distress to that individual then that individual can apply to have that access removed, or curtailed.
