-
Posts
1,643 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ajbritton
-
It is certainly the case that if that DHCP must be active if installed on a RIS server, which is what I was trying to get at here...
-
If they can make these, then surely it can't be that hard to make a faceplate with a built in hub/switch with say 2/4/8 ports. (hmmm...disappears off to the halfbakery...) EDIT: DOH - I should have looked further down the page, then I would have found the 4/6 port managed hub in a faceplate!!
-
How to get blank new window in Internet Explorer?
ajbritton replied to NetworkGeezer's topic in Windows
CTRL-N will duplicate whatever IE window is currently open, not give a blank one. -
How to get blank new window in Internet Explorer?
ajbritton replied to NetworkGeezer's topic in Windows
You can use IEXPLORE.EXE -nohome to launch an empty IE window from a script, so I guess you could create a global shortcut key to do this for you. -
How to get blank new window in Internet Explorer?
ajbritton replied to NetworkGeezer's topic in Windows
Are you talking about when you use it interactively or when you are scripting it? -
A lot of software (including SIMS) now requires 1024x768 or better.
-
Charcoal here. I find it handy to have a blowtorch handy if I'm in a hurry to get it lit!
-
Is child2 a DC? If so, have you tried the usual tools such as DCDIAG, NETDIAG. If it's anything to do with replication then there may be something in the event logs.
-
That's a good one Tosca. I've added it to the essential software list on the WiKi.
-
Techs might, but rest of the family won't
-
AVG
-
We are looking to do a similar thing - do you have a link to the user forums for buffalo? According to this It should work fine if set up as a client. I just want to check I can't find a link to the Buffalo forum I was referring to, but the online help in the TS PRO web interface says that only mixed-mode domains are supported (go to page with all the domain settings in the web UI and click on the help icon top right). I confirmed this with Buffalo tech support. Having said all that, I did manage to make it work in the way described in the Buffalo KB article that you posted. This page may also be of interest. EDIT: Here is the same sort of problem on the Iomega forums. Interestingly, the Iomega people at InfoSec show claimed that their box and the TS PRO are basically the same.
-
If you've ever tried to troubleshoot a Windows Installer based installation and tried enabling verbose logging, then you'll know that the resulting log is somewhat complex. Here is a PDF of an annotated Windows Installer log showing what all the sections actually mean. EDIT: Sorry, I should also have included this link to the blog entry that references the PDF.
-
It's my old chestnut about being able to review posts in the past 24,48,72 hours or whatever. The Minasi readers forum has something similar here. Will this be coming in EduGeek 2.0?
-
Watch out on lower end NAS boxes for poor Active Directory integration. For example, both Buffalo and Iomega claim some of their NAS boxes will integrate with AD, but it only works if your AD domain is in Mixed mode. Now some ADs may be still in Mixed mode, but if they have been upgraded to Native mode (2000 or 2003) then there is no going back. Whatever you consider, check the user forums on the supplier websites for disgruntled customers.
-
Yeah, that's a very good point. It's best to do phased roll-outs where possible. This can be accomplished by using the GPO scope filtering; Preparation; 1 - Create an AD group to use for the deployment (eg AppName_PCs) 2 - Create the GPO and remove the 'Authenticated Users' entry from the scope. 2 - Add the AD group to the scope and give it Read and Apply Policy rights Phased installation; - Add a batch of computer accounts to the AD group and allow enough time for the PCs to pick up the software (eg 1 day / 1 week depending on how often the PCs get rebooted) At this point the scope of the GPO could be reset back to 'Authenticated Users' and the AD group removed and deleted, OR it could be retained if necessary.
-
I've deployed MS Office using GPO many times with no problems whatsoever. Have you experienced problems with this? Did you do the admin install and use the ORK to create a custom MST? our users get really upset if login take more than usual. That why we don't deploy office through GPO. WPKG is a different story though. It installs softrware at computer startup but the user can login during the install. I just started using it so it may actually work for Office deployment. I've also heard rumors that Office 2007 doesn't deploy well through GPO. If you assign the software to computers rather than users then it is installed at startup, not logon.
-
I've deployed MS Office using GPO many times with no problems whatsoever. Have you experienced problems with this? Did you do the admin install and use the ORK to create a custom MST?
-
Congrats googlemad. Are you doing any other exams? I'm 4 exams into my MCSE (done 270, 290, 291, 293) and studying for 294.
-
If it runs OK using CSCRIPT, then my bet is file associations. Open an Explorer window then go to Tools, Folder Options, File Associations tab and scroll down to the VBS extension entry. The corresponding FileTypes entry should be VBSFile and the Opens With should read 'Microsoft ® Windows Based Script Host'. Clicking on Advanced should reveal 4 actions (Edit, Open, Print, Open with Command Prompt)
-
Try entering the following in a CMD window; CSCRIPT.EXE (path to .VBS file) eg CSCRIPT.EXE C:\TEMP\TEST.VBS
-
File associations? Can you run any .VBS when logged on as non-admin?
-
I think it's better to put a blanket block on executable and then create exceptions for the areas that users are allowed to launch EXEs from.
-
Windows 2000 server & software deployment
ajbritton replied to iSteve's topic in How do you do....it?
You could also try doing an 'admin' install rather than copying the CD. This is done using either the setup 'SETUP.EXE /A' or directly with the MSI 'MSIEXEC /a (path to MSI file)'. You will be prompted for a location to install to (which must begin with a drive letter, but it can be a mapped drive) - eg d:\install\appname. Some clever MSI installations (eg Office) will prompt for licensing info during an admin install so that end users do not need to enter it. I would also agree with Ric_. Always 'assign' to PCs rather than 'advertise' or 'assign' to users. -
You can also do this directly using Group Policy Computer Configuration \ Windows Settings \ Security Settings \ File System Right click and select Add File Browse to the file/folder you want to change (best to do this from a PC where the file/folder actually exists!) OK Make permissions changes as required.
