-
Posts
1,643 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ajbritton
-
You can use SETACL to modify registry permissions from the command line (and therefore a script)
-
Recursion is trivial in VBS. Just create a sub which scans the contents of a specified folder and then calls itself to scan any sub-folders.
-
Thanks mortstar. I did look at Wikipedia, but obviously not hard enough!
-
Not really a Windows question I know, but does anyone know of an OS or at least free CMDB?
-
First of all, I would report it to Ranger themselves. There may be another workaround for this 'feature'. Presumably you could 'bulk remove' the user profile settings using AD Users & Computers (select multiple accounts, right click, properties, change profile path to anything you like), and then use Ranger to delete the users.
-
You can use the sp_password stored procedure to reset the SA password without knowing the original.
-
If you have more than 1 SSID, then presumably when a client which was configured to connect to multiple networks finds itself in range of multiple networks it will connect to multiple networks. I suppose this would place an extra load on one of the APs that is not necessary. If all APs have the same SSID, then I presume the client will just associate with the AP with the strongest signal. I'm no WiFi expert though, so don't take this as gospel...
-
Re copying RIS builds (I don't call them images 'cos they're not)... As long as you let RISETUP complete (ie - give it an XP CD to create the default build), there is no problem with copying in extra ones. It should be safe to delete the original once the new ones are copied in.
-
I notice that this '100%' Linux solution includes a Windows 2003 Terminal Server...
-
My personal favourite is IZArc.
-
Assuming your MSI is a wrapper of some kind then you could try this... 1 - Use 'PSLIST -s -t \\PCNAME' from a remote PC. This should show you the processes running on PCNAME. If you look at the hierarchy you should be able to work out which sub-process is stuck. 2 - Use 'PSKILL \\PCNAME ProcessName' to kill the stuck process This should allow Windows Installer to complete whatever it was trying to do.
-
I thought FMS was not very TS friendly. How does that work?
-
I think that this is the link I should have posted.
-
Hmmm. It was reviewed in PCPro as an SSL VPN appliance and given an excellent rating. I realise that 10 concurrent connections is no use for student/teacher remote access. I'm looking for something which can be used to provide remote access for primary admin staff.
-
You could always stick one of these in. Instand SSL VPN for less than £300.
-
If you do RAID 5, make sure you get a battery backup on the RAID controller. This protects the write cache in the event of a disk or power failure. We have been sold a couple of servers with RAID 5 on which the write cache was disabled due to lack of a battery module. This slows down write performance considerably.
-
Thanks for the replies. I think we'll probably migrate to Exch 2003.... but not today!
-
Would that work? If Exch2K is not compatible with Win2K3, then surely upgrading the server to 2K3 would kill the server? I could migrate Exchange off to the Admin DC (a Dell 2900 with Xeon 5110 and plenty of RAM) then upgrade the Exch box to 2K3 then migrate it back I suppose.
-
I've got a site with the following setup Admin Domain - 2 Servers (Win2K3 - DC, Win2K - Exchange 2K) Curric Domain - 1 Server (Win2K3 - DC) It's a single forest running at Windows 2000 functional level Both domains are at Windows 2000 functional level I now want to set up a Recipient Update Service on the admin Exchange box to update users accounts on the curric box. I've tried to DomainPrep the curric domain (from an Exch 2K SP3 file set) but I get an error about Exchange 2000 not working on Windows 2003. I have the option to continue but dare not do so unless I know it will work. Help ??!?
-
I deploy .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 via GP software installation on all curriculum PCs. No problems AFAIK
-
The way I handle my user profiles is as follows; Staff get full roaming profiles and anything that needs adding gets done by logon scripts. Staff see the full 'All Users' Desktop and Start Menu entries. Students share a single mandatory profile. Students are denied the 'All Users' Desktop or Start Menu entries A logon script then dynamically adds content to the students desktop/start menu based on a set of regular expressions which control which shortcuts to ignore.
-
If you want to troubleshoot what is going on here any further, I would say that you need to use something like Policy Reporter. This will let you enable the 'verbose' userenv logging which records everything (profile related) that happens during logon. It should reveal which 'Default User' profile is being used and way. If you want to go down this path, then here's what you need to do. 1 - Install Policy Reporter on the PC you use for network admin (or your server if you have to). 2 - Run Policy Reporter and tell it to enable 'verbose logging' on a PC that has an unmodified Default User profile on it. Reboot that PC 3 - Create a new user account at set it up to use a roaming profile that does not yet exist 4 - Log on to the PC using the new user account 5 - Using Policy Reporter, grab the userenv log from the PC and have a look at it. If you want to post it here, I will have a look at it for you.
-
That's interesting. .NET versions are supposed to sit along side each other and not interfere. Did you find out what happened?
-
If PC is installed by RIS and does not involve any 'automatic logons' then I'm not sure the local Administrator profile would exist. I shall have to check. I've just never seen any need to mess with the Default User profile on individual PCs when you have a network. I suppose as long as you make a backup then you are covered.
-
Which Network Management Software to go for...?
ajbritton replied to phantomphan's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Yeah, spend a load of money putting someone through their MCSE then 6 months later they are off to a higher paying job in industry. School is left with a custom system that nobody else can manage. >
