Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. Try using the /ZB switch with ROBOCOPY. This will sometimes let it copy files in 'backup' mode. I also use Terastations for backup and they seem to work well with BackupAssist. There's no need to do AD integration as BackupAssist can log directly on the the box itself prior to backup.
  2. ajbritton

    VMServer

    I guess you mean you installed the 'console' component only.
  3. ajbritton

    VMServer

    Assuming you are local admin then you should not need to enter any logon creds.
  4. ajbritton

    VMServer

    You select local host and click OK
  5. ajbritton

    VMServer

    VMWare server will happily install without IIS being present. You will get a warning message and be given the chance to cancel the install, but I've installed it on lots of XP PCs without IIS. Not a problem.
  6. You need to delete a registry key. MS KB Article. Something like... REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Menu" /v Order /f
  7. What about using something like LOGMEIN.COM. I only used it a couple of times but it worked really well. Basic service was free when I tried it.
  8. The /console switch only works on Windows 2003 server.
  9. Long time ago I had a PlayStation (original) and fell in love with Wipeout 2097 and 3. Then I grew out of it and gave it all away. Big mistake. A couple of years ago I happened to hear Firestarter on the radio and it all came flooding back. I rushed to eBay and bought a PSone for about £15 and picked up 2097, 3 special edition. I'm still addicted today.
  10. More possible clues here if you look for UUID on the page.
  11. I've had similar problems on other well known makes of PC. Despite scouring the net, I've always ended up getting a floppy disk from the makers tech support. I don't know if this is any use.
  12. Online backup solutions are a lot more intelligent than Full/Incremental. They only upload the changes to files that have changed. If you have a 300MB file which has only change by a few MB, then only the few MB will be uploaded. Services I have looked at can take several days to make the initial 'full' backup, but this only takes place out of hours anyway.
  13. I used to hate Exchange, but since 2003, it's a doddle to install, backup and restore. For small sites it can happily coexist on existing servers provided sufficient resources. I've got it running (albeit temporarily), on a virtual 2K3 server hosted on a Core 2 Duo PC at a large primary school with no problems. At sites that don't want to run Exchange, I'm considering the Outlook PST Backup Plugin. With the possibility of a Rsync or Robocopy based startup script to mirror all .PST files up to a location on a server.
  14. I don't put the same restrictions on my MPM account as students. I have an OU with 'manager' type accounts, and MPM resides there. I have a seperate OU for students and that's where the restrictions are applied. Offline edit of a .MAN file... 1 - Using an XP or 2K3 machine, launch REGEDIT 2 - Select the HKEY_USERS key 3 - Open the File menu and select Load Hive... 4 - Browse to an NTUSER.DAT or NTUSER.MAN, select it and click Open 5 - You will need to enter a name to identify the hive (eg MPM) then OK 6 - The user registry can now be edited under HKEY_USERS\(name you entered). 7 - When finished, select the (name you entered) node under HKEY_USERS 8 - Open the File menu and select Unload Hive... 9 - Click Yes 10 - Close REGEDIT Job Done.
  15. To edit registry settings for MPM, either use REGEDIT whilst logged on to a PC as MPM, or mount the NTUSER.MAN into the HKEY_USERS key whilst it is offline. Don't forget to unload it when you have finished though.
  16. Are you aware of Microsoft's position on PST files on the network?
  17. ajbritton

    NAS devices

    @Geoff: Out of interest, is your AD running in Mixed, 2K Native or 2K3 mode?
  18. My guess would be that what is happening is that the first time Dreamweaver runs, it reads the location of the user's My Docs and persists it in some way (eg by writing it to HKCU or a .INI). According to this, settings are stored in HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8
  19. Yes, that's what I meant.
  20. If the service pack is an MSP, then the original install must be an MSI. In theory you can deploy as follows. 1 - Using the original installer, create an admin install point by usinging 'setup /a' command line 2 - Apply the MSP (patch) to the admin install point (in a similar way to this) 3 - Now deploy the MSI to workstations. Note that I say 'in theory'. Test this thoroughly on both a clean workstation and a workstation with the software already installed to see what happens.
  21. Are you saying there is a reason why email would not be routed between the servers because of their domain membership?
  22. I'm in the process of migrating a site from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. The existing Exchange 2000 server is on the Curric domain. I've installed Exchange 2003 on the Admin domain. All has gone well, but messages are not being routed between the two. The symptoms are a message queue on the old server with several hundred messages in it (many due to public folder replication), which should be routing to the new server. I've looked at WINROUTE and all seems OK (although never used it before so can't be sure). AD structure: Single Forest - Forest Root Domain: Admin - Additional Domain: Curric Any ideas?
  23. Very usefuly when setting permissions... SetACL.
  24. A couple of suggestions if you have not already tried.. DCDIAG /TEST:DNS REPLMON REPADMIN /SYNCALL If all that fails, you could un-DCPROMO then re-DCPROMO but don't forget to move any FSMO roles and make sure you still have a GC. when I have replication probs I often find it helps to point all the DCs to a single DNS server, restart NETLOGONS, restart DNS SERVER.
  25. I would look at FlexProfile Kit which lets you create a sort of hybrid roaming/mandatory profile.
×
×
  • Create New...