Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. sorry Mark. I thought that some may take the term 'prompted' to mean that they will be asked to supply the group after they have launched the script.
  2. I recently came across this http://www.rlmueller.net/MemberOf.htm whilst trying to help someone debug a logon script. It seems the MemberOf attribute on a user object can behave in an odd way which is not helpful. The main site also contains some useful info.
  3. Not quite correct. When you run SIMSPERM, it will just show the syntax and then exit. You need to specify the name of a user or group on the command line eg; SIMSPERM MYDOMAIN\SIMSUSERS
  4. Jim Mason once told me that SIMSPERM was intended to match the permissions that a power user would get.
  5. I'd be interested to know what sort of thing you are planning to virtualize. Do you have a disaster recovery plan in plan if the actual box should fail?
  6. Installed it several time with no problems.
  7. I am also interested in automatic email processing. I am receiving backup logs from lots of sites. The subject line is a "" delimited, comma separated list which signifies which site the log has come from and if it indicates a success or otherwise. I want to import all these logs into a database automatically and produce a daily report which shows which known sites did not report a success. I've fiddled with Access's ability to connect a table to a MAP folder, but have not gotten much further. EDIT: Sorry! Did not mean to hijack the thread like that.
  8. That's not going to work. Anything in the user's logon script will run in the user's security context. If you need to elevate the permissions, you will need to hard code a username and password into a script which has higher permissions. If you do this, you need to make sure the script is not readable by users.
  9. Yes, SetACL can change the permissions inside the registry. It can do this on the local machine or on remote machines. Have a look at examples 17 to 19 here -> SetAcl Examples
  10. Now that I like. It's bold. It's simple.
  11. Funnily enough, I have written something to do just what you ask I now remember. I never used it though, so thorough testing is advised! Func GetLatestFile($DirPath, $FileSpec) ; Shows the filenames of all files in the current directory. $search = FileFindFirstFile($DirPath & "\" & $FileSpec) $LatestFile = "" $LatestTime = 0 ; Check if the search was successful If $search = -1 Then MsgBox(0, "Error", "No files/directories matched the search pattern") Else While 1 $file = FileFindNextFile($search) if @error then ExitLoop if StringInStr(FileGetAttrib($DirPath & "\" & $file), "D") > 0 Then ; Skip directories Else $FileTime = FileGetTime($DirPath & "\" & $file,0,1) if $FileTime > $LatestTime Then $LatestFile = $File $LatestTime = $FileTime EndIf EndIf WEnd EndIf
  12. That sounds like you are looking up the most recent NTBackup log Russ. If that's the case, there might be 2 other solutions. 1 - Modify the NTBACKUP command line to place the log file in a place of your choosing so that your script can pick it up directly or 2 - Use BackupAssist, which will analyze the log for you and email you a lovely looking HTML report.
  13. I agree with that. Setting up of Exchange 2003 is a lot smoother than 5.5.
  14. The big thing that Exchange gives you is the ability to share resources. You can set up a 'shared' email or calendar that multiple users can access. This is next to impossible with POP3 as whatever client you use has to download the information to a local store. I do not know of any POP3 email client that can handle simultaneous (and therefore shared) access to a local mail store.
  15. Just to say that I have no problem with the name EduGeek (although with current thinking maybe is should be ChildServGeek). Maybe we should ask the guys at B3TA to come up with some logo ideas for us...
  16. Only if you want a 'supermandatory' profile. The difference being (supposedly), that if a 'mandatory' profiles fails to load, the user is still logged on but with a temporary profile which is dumped at logoff. If a user with a supermandatory profile tries to log on and the profile fails to load, the logon will not be permitted.
  17. Wandsworth Children's Services - ICT Operations Manager For more info, look at the Pers Spec and Job Desc links. If you are thinking of applying, please read the the 'Completing the Application Form' notes carefully first. CVs will not be accepted.
  18. It will be the same way as for XP. - Log on as a user to create a profile then log off - Log on as a local Admin - Rename the NTUSER.DAT to NTUSER.MAN To make a supermandatory profile, rename the profile folder from 'username.v2' to 'username.man.v2'.
  19. Have to say I never really liked the horns on the original logo and although I like the new logo, I still don't like the horns. I don't see what the whole 'devil' thing has got to do with education/ict. I agree that a professional look is sensible. I also don't like the reversed 'e'. I cringe every time I see things like that. Maybe it reminds me of ABBA!
  20. The DNS management console can be used to view/manage multiple DNS servers. By default (as on server5), it shows the local DNS server. If you right click the DNS node there will probably be an option to add other servers to the list. The fact that all the _msdcs stuff shows that replication must be working to some level as all that stuff is stored in AD and would not be available to the local server until replication had taken place. As to why server5 is not present as an NS, I'm not sure. If you want to confirm replication, use REPLMON (it's in either the SupportTools or ResourceKitTools, not sure which). How is the DNS client on the servers configured? I would suggest that each server be set to look to itself first and then to one of the other servers for DNS lookup.
  21. UniExtract will extract just about anything.
  22. Do it the Microsoft way without a CA! MS Download Center
  23. Check out BackupAssist. It's a lovely wrapper around NTBackup. Works nicely with NAS boxes (even non-AD integrated). Will do Exchange brick-level backups (using ExMerge) and email you (and anyone else) the errors or the whole log. Educational pricing means it's V. cheap. I'm finding the support to be pretty good as well.
  24. Hi Blind, I think you'll find that almost everyone here will be using a DHCP server on their networks. As for CAs, I would say that they are currently a lot less common.
  25. I'm looking for a php script which will allow me to upload and download files to/from my personal webspace. I have asp/php to play with. I would like it to be password protected. Any ideas?
×
×
  • Create New...