Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. I have had this as well. The first time it happened, there was a serious configuration problem such that the old server could not communicate with the new one via SMTP. This is because I configured the Virtual SMTP server old Exchange server to forward all traffic the the ISP SMTP server for offsite delivery (silly me!). The last time is happened, it was just on a couple of the system folders and I have to say that I just ignored it and went ahead. You can up the logging levels to see what is going on...
  2. Congratulations Mark and welcome to real world (sorry, couldn't resist). I've worked in LA ICT support for more years than I care to mention and I've loved almost every minute of it. Would you care to mention the LA in question? Also, what will you be doing exactly?
  3. FFS - drop this whole angel/devil cr*p. It's going to mean FA to anyone who doesn't read this thread! That said, let me add my support for SYSMAN_MK's effort. Maybe a competition would be the way to go. Thinking back to the whole London 2012 logo thing, I think BBC News ran a sort of informal competition for a replacement logo and got quite a lot of really good responses. (OK, our audience isn't quite what their's is), but don't underestimate the talent that we do have. Of course, a big competition would call for a big prize...
  4. Why not invent some kind of avatar who can embody the 'edugeek'. He/she can have horns and a little pitchfork. You could then use little tag lines like 'edugeek...sticking his fork into peoples bottoms since 2005'. Maybe there could be a little family of edugeeks with names like... er.. dos_box, _ric_ and HumbleSpook. Sorry. It's Friday afternoon and my last day in a proper job!
  5. I guess now we'll find out if the Mayor is a dictator or not!! (sorry, only joking!!)
  6. @JMair - If you have no luck, please can you restate the symptoms of the problem you are having (like what exactly is not working). I was not clear from the original post exactly what the problem was.
  7. I'm 6/7ths of the way through my MCSE. I've just got the Exchange course to finish and exam to take. I have studied with Thomson NetG (recently bought out by SkillSoft). This material is OK for the most part, but certainly not aimed at total novices. If you don't have quite a few years of experience, then you will find it hard going. When you finish each course, you are NOT ready to take the exam though. You need to do a few practise exams first. The NetG practise papers are nothing like the actual exams and are not that much help. I can recommend the ExamCram series of books, which focus more closely on the material that the exams cover and come with practise questions for each section of the course as well as two full practise papers. They also have lots of good advice on strategy for studying and how to approach the exam itself. Regardless of how you study, these books could well be useful. Finally, I would say that experience goes a long way (I have 20 years myself), but the chances are that most people will not have used all the features of Windows Server or even XP for that matter. All the stuff you learn on the courses is, of course, freely available on the Internet with a quick search. The difference is that if you don't know a certain feature exists or has certain limitations, then you don't know to look. That's what doing the courses gives you over just playing around with the stuff. You learn what you need to know. I used to be very sceptical of certifications like MCSE because I had met several people who had the qualification but because the had little experience, where not particularly effective. The bottom line is, you need the experience AND the training to be the best that you can be. (sorry for long post!)
  8. The subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 means that the first two octets are the network address (so 10.1.2.3 means network is 10.1.0.0 and host address is 2.3). As CyberNerd points out, it is perfectly valid to subnet a class A address. If DHCP server is configured to give out 10.1.0.1 to 10.1.255.254 with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, then it should work fine. One thing to note is that the subnet mask must also be set correctly on all machines with static IPs (specifically, the DHCP server itself), or they will be unable to communicate with the clients.
  9. Must confess that if the profile was working previously, I can't really see why the permissions would have changed. If it turns out not to be permissions, it might be worth manually setting the entries under "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" (in the NTUSER.DAT registry of course) back to their default values eg Desktop: %USERPROFILE%\Desktop Personal: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents My Pictures: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures You get the general idea. It may be that because the original location no longer exists at \\(servername)\(sharename)\mpm$, Windows can't do a redirect as it knows it would not be able to copy the existing files.
  10. That's what I use them for. I use BackupAssist which is an inexpensive (especially for education) but friendly and useful wrapper around the NTBACKUP engine. It has NAS box backup capability built in and will remember the required user account/password to access the NAS share. It's well worth checking out (I should be on commission for the amount of times I have recommended it!).
  11. That will probably be the permissions in the user hive. (every join in) When you copy a profile, you must use the GUI facility and change the permissions to use to Everyone. If you don't do this, then however created the profile will be the only one to have the write permissions into the user hive to redirect the folders. You can manually change the permissions in a user hive by loading the NTUSER.DAT into REGEDIT. The loaded hive will appear under the HKEY_USERS hive with whatever name you specify when you load it. You can then change the permissions on the loaded tree. Remember to unload the hive before exiting from REGEDIT or it can cause problems.
  12. When I spoke to Buffalo support, they suggested that the AD integration was not 'supported'. If your box is going to be a media server, then maybe most users won't need write access to it. That being the case, you could leave it running in stand-alone mode with the default permissions as read-only. Then create a couple of local user accounts for staff who need to actually add content. Give these accounts read-write access.
  13. How about some kind of 'mortar board' sitting on top of the G?
  14. You might like to try CrossLoop. It's more secure than LogMeIn in that it requires a user to be present at the remote PC to authorize the connection. It's basically a wrapper around some flavour of VNC I believe.
  15. Unless of course you want to have different password policies...
  16. Sorry DB, but I don't like it. I think a good logo needs to be simple and TBH, that one looks like a dogs breakfast. I hope I proved wrong though...
  17. Then all you need to do is deploy .NET 2/3 via Group Policy (doddle) and knock up a quick startup script to copy the fonts in.
  18. I've just been looking at the SIMS SupportNet site. In KB34820, it states that the following things need to happen on workstations: • Ensure .net framework 2 installed on all workstations • Install version .net framework 3 on Windows XP / workstations and Windows 2003 if used as a workstation • All workstations that used SIMS before March 2004, remove old workstation set up (SIMS Workstation 6.x) • Install fonts required for customising bar codes on reports. I'm assuming that it's point 3 which relates to the execution of the SIMSInfrastructureSetup from within SIMSInfrastructureUpate. If you are certain that none of your workstations ran SIMS prior to March 2004, you should be safe to go ahead as you planned and use the /S. That's if you trust SIMS (and me) of course
  19. Adding the /S to the command line at the top level will silence that installer. It will not however be passed on to the SIMSInfrastructureUpdate installer. As I said previously, the SIMSInfrastructureUpdate installer will only be launched under certain conditions (ie on older SIMS workstations). Running a test on a single PC which has only just had SIMS installed is not a valid test.
  20. That's not going to work. The internal logic of the update is such that it re-runs the SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe ONLY if required. This is a compressed InstallShield setup which does not run silently by default. I'm guessing that whatever PCs you have tested on, they did not need the SIMSInfrastructureSetup to be re-run. Looking at SETUP.WSE, the SIMSInfrastructureSetup is only executed if certain registry keys exist or if %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\SIMS\COM\CESDb.DLL is found.
  21. I've done the 70-290 myself and I also remember a lot of backup questions (a lot of dragging and dropping IIRC). From what I remember, there was usually something in the question which helped you to choose between incremental of differential. I definitely remember a question which was based around a method that would give the quickest restore time.
  22. Differential backups do not reset the archive bit and therefore grow continuously until a normal backup is done. Differential backups take longer (assuming you do a sequence of them), and use more space on the backup device, but they are much easier to restore from as a complete dataset can be restored by using the most recent full backup plus the most recent differential backup.
  23. Enabling Verbose Group Policy Loggin There is a policy setting that removes the 'All Users' settings. Could that have crept into the build? Another useful tool which I often turn to is Policy Reporter, which can even enable the verbose logging on remote machines for you. I've no idea if it will work with XPe however.
  24. According to this, that GUID represents the Group Policy Client Side Extension for Application Management. I'm sure you found that out already though! Is it possible to enable to verbose UserEnv logging on XPe? I guess you would have to do this in the image prior to loading it on to the box.
  25. AFAIK, it's only 2K workstations which are being dropped in Feb 08.
×
×
  • Create New...