-
Posts
1,643 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ajbritton
-
I have used local Exchange 2003 servers to relay alerts. You may need to tweak the settings to allow relaying however.
-
Is there a particular reason you want to convert your scripts?
-
You could bite the bullect and convert your scripts to AutoIt. I just love it!
-
@ChrisPal: Have you looked at WPKG? Handy for those non-msi based installs. If you are handy with InstallShield /s /r parameters and a bit of AutoIt, you should be able to take on anything!
-
I just put V4 in at a site today with the SQL and Exchange plug-ins. Went very smoothly. I'll be watching it closely.
-
@plexer: Have you upgraded to V4 yet? If so, what are your experiences?
-
I would also suggest you take a look at BackupAssist. It can backup directly to NAS and puts a nice friendly wrapper around NTBACKUP.
-
I put a direct link to the latest version of Orca (without needing to download the full SDK) a while ago. It's on the Essential Software List.
-
You could use the ClipPut, ClipGet functions. You could probably use the TCPxxx/UDPxxx functions but I haven't the faintest idea where to begin! The AutoIt help states that changes to the environment are not visible to it's parent. This is normal Windows process behaviour.
-
Script to send an email when specific student logs on?
ajbritton replied to sidewinder's topic in Scripts
Yep, I like bmail. Blat is a bit more complex but possibly more versatile. -
If their USB keys have sufficient space, they could install the PortableApps suite with menu system and backup utility.
-
lol...(panting) I'm still coming down....
-
Attached is a hastily cobbled together AutoIt script. It's not compiled so AutoIt will need installing wherever you need to run it. Basically, it does what I suggested in my previous post. Feel free to use or adapt it in any way you see fit. There is plenty of room for improvement here!
-
You could prompt for a name either each time the script is executed (assuming you run it once per USB drive), or each time a new file is detected. The script could then use the supplied name to either create a subfolder, or to modify the filename accordingly. Thinking further, how about this... Script checks for an INI file on the root of the USB drive (eg OWNER.INI) - If the INI file is found, the script pulls the teachers name out of it - If the INI file is NOT found, the script prompts for the owner's name and then stores it in OWNER.INI on the drive. The script now knows who the drive belongs to and will remember it for next time. The script now copies the required file, modifying the name to be something like JoeBlogss_ReportDoc.doc
-
You could use USBDLM to make sure the drive letter is always the same then use the script by apeo.
-
Sorry my post was not as clear as it should have been but glad that you've got it sussed now. I remember having to figure this out for myself and it was a nightmare. I ended up using a packet sniffer to work out what was going on. That said, I learnt quite a bit from that experience and I expect you did too! Since you mention MSI creation, you might also consider using something like VMWare/Virtual PC, which can put your packaging PC back to a clean state in 0 (zero!) seconds using snapshots. I do this all the time (now using VMWare Server but I started out with Virtual PC). As long as you have a decent PC (I use P4 3.0GHz, 2Gb RAM), it's fine.
-
I know it's a silly question, but the user accounts have actually been cached before trying to use them offline haven't they?
-
If anyone else is getting rid of any BBC kit, I would love to get my hands on either a Model B (this was my second ever PC) or a Master 128....
-
Can you verify that the .kix script is actually executing? What happens if you execute the script manually after logon?
-
You will find it easier to code the dialogs in AutoIt than VB. With VB you will either need to use custom components (which will have to be deployed), or script Internet Explorer. Scripting IE certainly won't speed up your logon process!! If you do go down the custom component route, you could try looking at JsWare. The web site is a bit confusing but there is some good stuff.
-
Mixed. I don't know about freenas or the other software based NAS solutions, but the low end NAS boxes (Terastation Pro, Iomega 150d) appear to have 'issues' with native mode AD domains.
-
@mattx: Is your domain running in mixed or native mode?
-
Check the following policies for any settings which refer to 'digital signing' of packets; Local Security Policy, Domain Controllers Policy, Default Domain Policy. (And any policies linked to the Site).
-
Unless 'child2' is the only DC for the domain (and maybe even if it is), I think I would be considering a reinstall at this point. If you have other working DCs then the loss of 'child2' as a DC would not be a problem. If it is the sole DC for it's domain then it might be worth building a VM and trying to swing the AD, FSMO and GC roles onto. You could then reinstall the OS on child2 and bring it back to DC status. EDIT: I certainly don't want to play down the level of Windows expertise on EduGeek, but you could also consider posting on the Minasi reader forums just to get some other opinions/options.
