Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. There is also NewSIS which is quite handy when cloning virtual images.
  2. Can you tell us what software you use to backup to these devices, how the connection works (CIFS or FTP) and how you ensure the data is secure? Thanks,
  3. Instead of getting the computername, can't you just use a dot '.'?
  4. Erm... Going to go out on a limb here and ask "where" this "well documented" upgrade is erm... "well documented"... If I hadn't heard about it on here I'd be finding out the hard way after applying it and breaking stuff.. :? It's mentioned in the 'What's new in SP2' blurb on the MS website.
  5. Another very useful tool is Policy Reporter
  6. You can configure Windows to do this, but only audit what you have to or you will kill the server performance and bury yourself in data!
  7. @mark: If you are a Linux newbie then you could always learn from first principles at LinuxFromScratch.org.
  8. Anything in the event logs? If you really want to know what is going on with Group Policy, then you need to install Policy Reporter on the server, configure verbose logging on a PC which exhibits the problem, do a 'GPUPDATE /sync /force /boot', then capture the log from the PC using Policy Reporter on the server. This will give you a blow by blow account of everything that happens GP related on the PC.
  9. It's a great idea to have a forum dedicated to a widely used piece of software to focus on. Maybe we should consider more forums along this line. It may be possible to get participation from the software vendors to assist in resolving problems. I know that we already have some members who work for companies that produce hardware/software that is used in schools....
  10. You cannot push out the WEP key via GPO. That's why I came up with the horrible method on the WIKI.
  11. Do I recognise those UserINOU and ComputerInOU functions from somewhere?
  12. Do you know where your PDC Emulator FSMO role is?
  13. I use the following form of GPUPDATE; GPUPDATE /SYNC /FORCE /BOOT This will force a synchronous boot.
  14. Assuming you have XP workstations, it can take 3 boot cycles before managed software installations take place because of the way XP attempts to get the logon box up before even starting the network. Roughly, here is what happens. 1 - You assign the software in AD 2 - You reboot a PC. It refreshes the machine policy. 3 - You reboot the PC again. It notices that there is some software to install and forces a synchronous boot 4 - You reboot the PC AGAIN and it finally installs the software. If you look in the event logs, you should see messages relating the application installation which may help you figure out what is going on. I use a group policy setting which forces 'wait for network at computer startup'.
  15. Windows 9x computers cannot 'join' a domain. They can use a domain for user authentication that's all.
  16. You could try these guys
  17. Virtual test system is the way to go.
  18. Are solid state HDs based on flash memory? I though flash memory had a relatively low maximum number of read/write cycles before it melted and was therefore little to no use for running Windows type operating systems from.
  19. I think the best way to do software restriction is on a 'white list' basis. Rather than trying to deny execution from certain paths, do a flat 'deny' from everywhere and then open up specific paths (eg C:\Program Files, C:\Windows etc).
  20. Given what NetworkGeezer has said, the only way around this may be to not give out local Admin level access. Is it possible to synthesize a level of access which is 'admin enough' without actually being admin? What exactly do you give out local admin rights for?
  21. But what do you actually gain? Like adent says, it's trivial to configure it centrally with GP and open ports as required.
  22. @bossman: I'm not saying RAID 5 does not work, but I stand by what I said. RAID 10 or (0+1) will give better performance than RAID 5. The site for which you posted a link says that RAID 10 and 0+1 given better I/O rates than RAID5. RAID 5 only gives moderate write performance. If a disk fails, performance will be rubbish (until drive is replaced or hot swap spare comes fully online) as the controller needs to reconstruct the missing data from the parity information striped across the remaining drives. RAID 10/0+1 gives excellent write performance (because the data is striped) and does not degrade if a disk fails (because the data is mirrored). I would concede that ultimate write performance is probably not an issue for school file servers (although if you are trying to get the best out of SIMS, every little bit probably helps), but I think the reliability aspect does it for me.
  23. RAID 5 is a bit pointless now that hard drives are so inexpensive. I believe RAID 10 (or 0+1) is the way to go. This is a combination of mirroring (to give resiliency) and striping (for performance). RAID 5 suffers from what is known as the RAID 5 write penalty. Every time data is written to the array, all the disks must read some data so that the parity can be calculated. It's therefore essential to have write caching on servers which have high data write rates. This is a risk as if anything dies, the write cache will evaporate and corrupt the array. This means a battery backed cache is essential. EDIT: Also, avoid software RAID at all costs!
  24. It's utter nonsense, but quite funny.
  25. ajbritton

    DC Confusion

    Which servers are clients pointing to for DNS?
×
×
  • Create New...