Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. The difference between 'modify' and 'full control' is as follows; modify = create, read, write, delete full control = (all of modify) and change permissions on the object When a user creates a file/folder they are automatically the owner and they therefore have full control over it anyway.
  2. I suppose it's even remotely possible (forgive the pun), that the error message might be trying to tell you something. Try a different network patch lead and/or using a different network point.
  3. You might also want to look at PortableApps.com. It's quite neat and includes a backup option.
  4. This guy managed to fix a similar sounding problem by doing a 'repair' install.
  5. Log on to the PC in question, run a CMD session and type in 'netstat -a'. There should be an entry in the list that looks like this... TCP ajb-01:3389 ajb-01:0 LISTENING If not, then it's either not listening for remote desktop or it's listening on the wrong port. It is certainly possible to change the default listening port on Windows Server, so I assume this is also possible on XP. Assuming the entry is there, then try a port scan from another PC. I would use something like Angry IP Scanner. It's a simple download, then you need to tell it to scan specific ports (3389) and enter an IP address range which will include the problem PC.
  6. Congratulations Russ Think we need a parenting forum!
  7. Hang on, I thought you said you didn't make it down there....
  8. Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed doing my little bit helping out on the stand. It was fun to mix with the ubergeeks for a while and positively inspirational to meet Art Lader. BIG thanks to those who came by just to say 'hi' and 'great site' etc. Here's hoping EduGeek at BeTT 2008 will be bigger and better.
  9. Is this any use?
  10. Have you tried creating an admin install point? This is usually done with 'SETUP.EXE', but if you just have the MSI you can do 'MSIEXEC.EXE /A (path to MSI)'. Some MSIs will create custom install points when this is done (eg Office).
  11. I also found this which mentions Windows 2000/XP
  12. Here's a possibility... 1 - Wipe the HDD 2 - Create a small (600mb) partition 3 - Make the partition bootable and copy on the XP installation files 4 - Boot the system from the new partition 5 - Run \i386\winnt.exe 6 - Create a new partition to install XP onto This would leave you with a 600mb partition which has no particular use except as a copy of the XP CD however.
  13. I don't know if you will be able to install directly from the hard disk. You can install from a network share though.
  14. Also found these which look interesting... Beowolf Cluster Monkey
  15. Any use... http://pietschsoft.com/Blog/Post.aspx?PostID=174
  16. It's here if anyone is interested.
  17. Sorry folks, it looks like it's already part of Windows 2003 Server Service Pack 1.
  18. Does anyone have the MS hotfix for the KB 833167 issue?
  19. Very much so!
  20. Or for ultimate control, try SETACL http://setacl.sourceforge.net/
  21. More info on MSI nesting According to this, it is not possible to run two installations in the same process. If this is attempted, a 'ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING' error is generated. IIRC, this is what I was seeing when trying to install SIMS Infrastructure using WIWW. It IS possible to nest MSIs as shown here. According to this, it is necessary to use special Custom Actions.
  22. Thanks for the offer, Peter. BiosFlashUK are able to send me one out very quickly though so I'll give them a try. Andy
  23. Are you getting the 'must be run from SETUP.EXE' message? Try looking here. There is something in section 2 of the Discussion about modifying the OnCheckSilentInstall CA.
  24. Having said all that, I note the following use of WIWW to effectively 'nest' the installation of ISSCRIPT.MSI on AppDeploy. Now I'm confused. :?
  25. All I know is that when I wrapped the SIMS Infrastructure Setup (which is an InstallShield installer), the .NET 1.1 runtime fails to install. An error appears in a MSI log for the .NET install which said something about another installation already being active. I believe it is necessary to use a particular type of custom action to install 'nested' MSIs, and WIWW does not do this. My guess is that the Windows Installer service can only cope with one active installation at a time, and the special custom actions suspend the active installation session until the nested installation completes or fails.
×
×
  • Create New...