Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. Why not just modify a user account and remove the 'profile' entry. When they log on, they will just get a local profile based on the Default User profile on the computer (assuming you do not have a 'Default User' profile in the NETLOGON share).
  2. @richard: Are you using Group Policy Software Installation or Startup Scripts or some other method? As fooby points out, software which has been assigned to the computer using GP Software Installation DOES show a message whilst installing. Software installed by Startup Script does NOT do this though. Where I have had to go down the Startup Scritpt route, I have created scripts in AutoIt, which can display a progress dialog box during installation.
  3. No, DNS is fine. Just to create the forest trust I had to make sure there was full name resolution across both domains. Each DNS server hosts the zone for the domain it is in and has a conditional forwarder for the DNS server in the other domain.
  4. I tried connecting two Windows 2003 forests with a 2 way forest trust and it still does not allow the system account to access resources on a domain outside the forest. Edit: I was wrong. It DOES work as long as I specify the server by FQDN. Unfortunately, I don't think that will help me with Win2K systems. Tests continuing!
  5. You could check out the FlexProfile Kit. This gives you a hybrid of roaming/mandatory profiles with redirected folders (without having to use GP to redirect). They claim very fast logon times.
  6. I already have 2-way trusts between the domains and they appear to make no difference. I'm doing some testing now (I use Virtual PC btw).
  7. That looked promising, but it appears to be a Windows 2003 only thing. Most of our systems still involve at least one Windows 2000 domain.
  8. Will do. Thanks ChrisH
  9. Almost all the sites I support have two domains (admin & curriculum). Most of these sites also have two forests (admin & curriculum), but in newer installations, the domains are in the same forest (admin is the forest root domain and curriculum is an additional domain in the same forest). Where the domains are in the same forest there is an implicit trust relationship between the domains. Where the domains are in separate forests, explicit trust relationships have been created. I'm trying to use a Startup script to install SIMS on PCs connected to the curriculum domain. The Startup script runs the various SIMS installers which are hosted on a server on the admin domain. This seems to work fine on the single forest sites, but gives me 'access denied' on the dual-forest sites. It seems to come down the the Local System Account not being able to access anything outside the forest to which the PC belongs. I tested this using PsExec to launch a CMD session as the System account. On the single forest sites I could happily 'net view' resources in any domain. On the dual-forest sites I could only 'net view' resources in the same domain. Any ideas how I can make it work on the dual-domain sites?
  10. Congrats! I'm another bleary eyed parent of a 10 month old. You have many many happy times ahead of you. Treasure them all.
  11. nah.. That would have been BeTT...The big splash!
  12. For any problems which are GP related, I always recommend Policy Reporter. You can use it to enable full GP logging and also to analyse the resulting log files. This usually gives some clue as to what is happening. - Install Policy Reporter on a server - Use it to enable verbose logging on a problem PC - Reboot the PC and have the user log on - Use Policy Reporter to grab the log file and analyse it
  13. ajbritton

    WSUS Size

    Presumably it still maintains a SQL db though Geoff?
  14. Are you not redirecting My Documents with Group Policy?
  15. Doh! Stoopid me! I think I just saw a WLAN problem and it got my back up!
  16. I have had RIS servers with up to 8 or 9 seperate RIS builds, and the total disk space in use has never risen above 1Gb.
  17. I remember when Dr Solomons AVTK did the same thing to PCs with less than 16MB RAM (IIRC) many years ago (goes off to find pipe and slippers...)
  18. I got a Logitech V450 wireless notebook mouse and very nice it is too.
  19. I feel your pain, Ben. WLAN is a royal PITA at the best of times. The last thing you need is to be stuck between two vendors. Best of luck with it, and do keep updating the post.
  20. John, are sure you are looking at the 'size on disk' figure....
  21. OK. Anything in the event logs on the PC hosting the printer? possible fix to try - not sure which machine you would do this at though! As a test, try this at the PC which is sending the print job - Delete the printer which points to the server - Add a new printer pointing directly to the PC hosting the printer - Test Not sure what this would prove but it might be worth a try.
  22. Which machine was this error found on? Source of print job, server or printer host?
  23. Yes. When you redirect folders (My Docs, App Data, Desktop, Start Menu) they are no longer part of the roaming profile. The contents are not copied to the PC (unless you are doing Offline files). The files are accessed directly from the server.
  24. The file system where the share is hosted does not matter. Win 98 can happily read files from a share which is hosted on an NTFS volume (at least it had no problem doing this on NT4 and 2K servers). I can't remember the terminology, but what you may need to do on the 98 PC is to point it at the XP PC for security lookups. You should also make sure all PCs are in the same 'Workgroup'. Having said all that, Geoff may well be right as I have never actually tried this configuration.
  25. Anything in the event logs?
×
×
  • Create New...