-
Posts
1,643 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ajbritton
-
Thanks iitech. I did manage this using a VM and the /disasterrecovery installation switch.
-
Well, I put the earlier firmware on and even though the help still says it will only work on a mixed mode AD domain, it happily joined my Win2K native one! Thanks Geoff.
-
Thanks Geoff. Could you point me in the right direction for a download?
-
Sorry folks, I should have said that I DO have the PRO version of the TeraStation.
-
How do TeraStation users configure their authentication settings? I've go a TeraStation 1 (firmware 1.03) but it does not appear to support AD integration unless the domain is in mixed mode. Yuck. Any advice welcome...
-
Welcome Edsa, I would humbly suggest you try searching the forums as this topic has been covered many times in the past. You will find that there is a polarisation of opinion between so called 'vanilla' setups which utilitse the capabilities of Windows that you mention (Group Policy, Roaming/Mandatory Profiles, WDS/RIS) and the third party solutions (RM, Viglen etc). Anything is possible with either setup, but it all depends on your level of expertise and the amount of time you can spend learning the required techniques. The fact that you have to ask the question suggests that you may not feel confident to go ahead with a fully vanilla setup, but if you wanted to do so, you have come to the right place for support and assistance! For myself, I would go with a vanilla setup as follows - Windows 2003 Server with Active Directory - Group Policies to manage/control PCs / user environment - Mix of roaming/mandatory profiles as appropriate - Custom logon scripts as required - RIS/WDS for PC builds
-
Hmmm... Does this look familiar?
-
More drobo tech info from engadget
-
..or it only lets you store what it CAN keep in a fault tolerant way. So if you give it three tiny drives and one huge one there will be some wasted space on the big drive. There is a little bit more info at drobospace
-
I have attached the script in it's present form. It's far from perfect. The configuration is stored in the INI file. The script contains a rudimentary GUI for modifying the settings. To access the GUI, run the script, answer 'NO' when asked if you want to run the script (!) then say 'YES' when asked if you want to configure it. To make the script run silently and do it's stuff, you need to add a command line parameter of '/s' or '/q' or '/silent' or '/quiet'. PS - My first go at GUI in AutoIT so it's not pretty. ssi.7z
-
Oops... I have a dead exchange 2003 server. There is no full backup, but I have a copy of the MDBDATA folder including all the LOG files. Active Directory is OK as the DC function is on a different server. I plan to install Exchange on another server in the same domain. Any tips on the recovery procedure would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance... (goes away to read the Exchange 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guide...) EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also have a brick level backup of all the mailboxes, so if I have to I can rebuild everything from scratch (gulp)
-
Interesting discussion on Vista deployment techniques
ajbritton replied to ajbritton's topic in Windows Vista
Now that IS interesting! Is there any official MS information on it? -
Except that setting up public folders in Exchange is a piece of wee-wee and Sharepoint is a whole new thing to learn & support.
-
How to set up Mandatory Profiles is here
-
Oops - spoke too soon ... http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/02/20/419994.aspx
-
I believe that is the case. You are meant to use Sharepoint now. Thanks MS.
-
Twitter Poll How Many people use twitter
ajbritton replied to russdev's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
How do you use it as a server down notification service? -
is here: http://apcmag.com/3834/inside_vistas_new_image_based_install
-
Make the profile 'super-mandatory' by renaming the actual profile folder with a .MAN extension. Read all about it
-
Wow! That's a complex SRP setup!
-
In the terminal services client (MSTSC) there is a 'program' tab. If you tick the box and enter the path to an executable (or presumably a batch file), then instead of the Windows shell loading, the program you specify will load. When the user exits the program, the remote desktop session will terminate.
-
Googling for MERGE .SWM yields a few possible leads
-
Very slow shared start menu shorts -not sure how to explain!
ajbritton replied to CM786's topic in Wireless Networks
As Ric_ said, these are 'advertised' shortcuts which are sometimes created by software which is installed by Windows Installer (MSI) files. The shortcut points to a GUID which is an entry point for a particular 'Feature' in the MSI file. The idea behind this is that you can 'assign' an MSI to an OU (and therefore the users within it) and the shortcuts for the software will appear on those users' start menus. When a user clicks on a shortcut, the MSI then installs the requested feature. Quite clever but it could cause problems if you have different versions of software on different machines. Having said that, I regularly copy these type of shortcuts using scripts onto different PCs without any problems so far.
