Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. Vacancies | New College Pontefract My old college (Where I used to study many years ago not work), has good links between Leeds and Wakefield etc so might help someone on here
      • 1
      • Thanks
  2. Could I also have a PM please? Timely as I've just put my home N40L back together and want to do a fresh install although getting very tempted by the Gen 8 edition now they're going for peanuts!
  3. I'm tempted to put in an application for a vacancy relating to OS / software deployment, which I'm fairly confident at. However never used App-V, but just wondered how difficult it would be to learn it, or in other words learn enough to be confident enough at an interview in a month or so From what I've been reading it is basically just nicks some ideas from thin client / remote desktop services so shouldn't be rocket science hopefully?!
  4. Does anyone know where the setting in Group Policy is hiding so that when a user connects to a 2012 R2 RDP they get to a login screen on the actual server rather than it popping up asking them to login from the RDP client?
  5. Sorry I have a vague idea what Spotify is although I don't use it myself so didn't know why it had decided to create a 100mb folder in the roaming user profile. I'm guessing all their songs and the like are stored in the cloud so it can safely can be excluded and they can just install it whenever they want to listen to it? This is just a single member of staff who isn't academic so probably just playing it in their (private) office.
  6. We have recently been testing several staff with more restrictive roaming profiles in that they exclude much of the junk from sync, such as Apple iTunes and Google Chrome. After doing around 20 or so users including myself this has worked well, even I'm under 50mb now! However just noticed a user we converted recently has a 100mb 'Spotify' folder in their folder, what is this and can we safely exclude it in our growing exclusions list?
  7. 'Cheating watches' warning for exams - BBC News ...Surely the simplest solution is just to take all watches off candidates before they enter the exam? They do the same for phones here...and always have a clock at the front of the room... Or if that is too much work instruct candidates to remove their watches and leave them in view on their table whilst the exam is in progress.
  8. Interesting development with this in that a member of staff decided to try the buttons so hard they smashed the screen on the MFD <_< PaperCut have sent a couple of custom builds / beta packages across to try though as we had the Kyocera engineer out who reckoned it was more a PaperCut thing than the screens
  9. If you're anything like me the time you actually need the cable you've ended up leaving it at home / work / at a mates anyway! (No matter how many you own!) I find with the iPhone I have to try and remember to have an iPad style charger handy as it can give my 6+ a nice quick boost rather than the trickle charge that my PC provides to it
  10. I got a new SSD for my laptop (240gb rather than 64GB!) so stuck it in last night after having downloaded the latest Windows 10 Pro to a USB using the Microsoft tool. Within 30 minutes I was back up and running all device drivers automatically installed all updates done from a totally fresh install! Then all I needed was Google Chrome and back to business as usual! Amazing how little third party applications you need to install these days, everything just seems to revolve around the web!
  11. Bit of a n00b question here but our AD server currently has c:\testappshare Then a d:\ drive with Appdeploy folder At the moment various Group Policy objects are relating to both paths and I would like to get everything merged into the d:\ drive. Will it break anything if I do so and manually update the MSI paths in the Group Policy objects? Also in certain policies I have a bit of a mess with software package upgrades, is it safe to remove the old version entries and MSI files and just leave the latest ones or do I need to leave them in? (I'm aware some of the software in the list needs updating anyway!)
  12. Had a weird call yesterday after upgrading our PaperCut and the embedded software on the Kyocera MFDs in that a couple of users complained when they pressed the big 'Scan' button on the new interface it didn't do anything. I went across to have a look and it seems to only register if you give it a few decent taps in various areas of the button, but after that it seemed to work fine with a gentle press until the next user! Confused as to if it is down to the screens, PaperCut or fingers! Any way to check the sensitivity and calibration of the screens as that would probably be an easy start...
  13. Just trying to ensure all computers have Sophos Anti Virus installed and reporting to the console over the half term holidays, getting an error on all endpoints though : "a0580006 Web Protection Error (Incompatible Program : LanSchool Student) Any idea how to exclude LanSchool or disable the Web Protection within Sophos?
  14. We have been informed by Capita that 4.6.1 will be required for the upcoming release of our UNIT-e MIS system (Basically the FE version of SIMS.net). Glad I haven't already started applying the update if this is the case!
  15. googlemad

    Danwood DNA

    I don't know if it's resolved in the newer version but the old version for us used to frequently just stop working and sending anything to Danwood for no real reason. I have it set so it reboots the Windows service overnight now and has the fail options set up too so if it falls over it automatically attempts to start itself back up 3 times
  16. I've learnt quickly in the past few years that it is always the person you don't expect to die that dies first. Was worried about Bruce Forsyth as he seemed quite weak after his operation didn't even have Sir Terry on the radar! (And I didn't have a clue he had cancer!) RIP
  17. To be honest the quickest way is to set yourself up an Unreal account download the launcher then just install that on all the PCs log in as your Unreal ID and kick off the latest engine download. Probably an overnight job!
  18. Unreal Engine is an absolute nightmare to deploy and the latest update flat out refused to work on our media image so we had to quickly create a fresh one! It's massive too so hopefully you have large hard drives to cope! (And you need powerful hardware, it didn't run very well until we upgraded the PCs in question to 12GB RAM) Good software though when it's up and running
  19. Meanwhile, we're still stuck on Office 2007 The excuse I always get is 'our teaching books have screenshots from 2007!'.
  20. I'm struggling at the moment when applying for jobs in that when they ask for what training I've done, my answers are still stuck in the XP / 2003 Server days! So what courses do I need to be studying for a modern day environment and can I self study these then go somewhere to take the test?
  21. Just been informed nobody can use templates in Office 2007 due to most machines not having the latest Office updates installed, we don't push them out as such at the moment as we're still implementing WSUS. Is there a specific singular Office 2007 update that will allow the templates to be downloaded?
  22. Am I the only person that dislikes tablets and finds no real use for one whatsoever? (I did try by buying myself an iPad Mini and loaning a full size iPad from our library for a while). My iPhone doesn't have many apps on it but the ones it does have I use all the time - mainly just WhatsApp, train times and the web, it fits in my pocket and I can even use it to make telephone calls and send text messages maybe once or twice a year too! If I want to do anything more intense I need a PC or laptop running a full operating system. We use Google Apps at work which apart from the basic email and calendar functionality I personally dislike, give me proper desktop apps and Office any day of the week! I guess I went through a period back in the day where I actually enjoyed technology now I'm just sick of it and use it out of necessity rather than interest, nothing that comes out really excites me that much to be honest (good for the bank account mind!). Windows 7 actually took me a long time to 'come around' to as back then XP was a mature product and just got on with the job, and like many people I still had a very sour taste in my mouth from Windows Vista! I'm finding the same happening with Windows 10, since I never bought into the mobile concept Windows 8 was hell for me and therefore other than under the hood performance improvements in 10 I've yet to actually use any real new functionality that I wouldn't have in Windows 7! Don't think I'll have much chance of becoming an e-learning manager anytime soon
  23. googlemad

    Snow

    I've got a job interview on Tuesday 130 miles away! I mean I'm training it there and also getting there the evening before and staying in a Premier Inn but it would be funny if the college had a snow day on the Tuesday!
  24. Great stuff Microsoft. Cheers for that We've already had several laptops returned to us (non domain connected) to find rather than the Windows 7 they departed with they have magically appeared back with Windows 10!
  25. googlemad

    Snow

    I remember the year snow closed us on a Friday but the trains were still running fine so about 10 staff, annoyingly myself included, still made it in. (Obviously they didn't provide the 'closed' update until just after I had stepped on the train!) Just as I'm thinking 'oh well they'll send us back home' the exams manager appears to point out they had an exam that entire morning which wouldn't be cancelled and required IT support. Grr.....
×
×
  • Create New...