Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. This is a strange one I've been tweaking around this morning trying to get the Student structure set up correctly to do a mass import this afternoon. I've tested a new account and all is good apart from in the 'Computer' window their disk quota is not displayed, yet it comes up fine if you right click the H:\ drive and go to the properties! I'm not sure what is up as the folder redirection is working and I can save stuff so it doesn't seem like a permissions issue...
  2. I was half and half about applying for this the first time too although wrong side of Keighley to make it viable for me. Reading some of the above is certainly eye opening, sounds like they want someone to go along with their plans more than someone who might have a better vision of how things should run!
  3. Thanks for that, I was looking forward to trying it out until I remembered the switches in the particular building are stupid Catalyst Express 500 ones which don't support CLI! Roll on Wednesday...
  4. Is there any way to find out how long ago since a connection was 'active' on a Cisco switch port? We are replacing our entire network and trying to prepare in advance by pulling idle connections where we can, the problem is one of our buildings has had several major refurbs over the past few years and they've completely revamped parts of it without telling us which network points they've destroyed in the process! (Generally new network points have been created for the new rooms as they then go to a secondary and third cabinet to help with space!)
  5. googlemad

    Standalone Mac

    We've got 5 or so iMacs and they've not really been too successful in terms of...working! Anyway I've got one in the office now, I've wiped the disk, set up a local admin account and installed all the updates including whatever the latest OS X is! (Mavericks maybe?) Installed Adobe CS6 and Office too Before we had them on the domain but I'm not sure they need to be for their usage within OS X, therefore can they be set up with local accounts that are a)locked down and b)'Deep Freezed' (so they lose Internet history etc at log off). We do have a Mac Mini server but again it has basically gathered dust for a year, does that need wiping and updating to the latest OS X server too?
  6. Thanks, that is where I was looking anyway so I'll get in touch with them and see what they can do
  7. Can anyone recommend a cheap place to buy...1500...0.3m blue network cables? Around £0.37 per cable seems to be the best to beat so far!
  8. So if I install Windows 10 on my work PC can I still join the Server 2008 R2 domain and access all my mapped drives and the like? There aren't too many group policy settings applied to my system...
  9. I need to get the GUID for all staff accounts in AD. I know how to do this one by one, but is there an easy way to extract them all at once?
  10. I build all images in a VM, and don't even install the VM tools What I did was went to the Stone website which has a handy driver finder and, for more recent machines, handily provide a pre built SCCM driver package. Linked that to the image and as I say it all works very well but the only manual intervention is the steps to disable the options for the sound and VGA which I could do via GP if I knew the exact registry keys! (I'll try blocking the Realtek EXE too but the VGA is still a problem when the little gits rotate half the screens in a classroom!)
  11. I've just got a fully working Windows 7 image through SCCM, the only problem is those stupid Realtek and Intel GFX applications! How can I get it so the Realtek rubbish doesn't pop up when someone plugs an audio device in and hides the tray icon, and how do I disable the rotation feature and tray icon for the Intel GFX via something like a registry push out in Group Policy?
  12. Thanks for the comments, I'll pass them on (As I mentioned in Post 1 I'm not a fan myself but they won't listen as per usual!)
  13. I've been told we need to buy a few wireless data projectors! Joy. Anyway what am I meant to be looking at? The only wireless data projector I've ever seen was back in 2006 at a fancy training place! These will be 'portable' rather than fixed to a ceiling, so they don't need to be pocket sized but ideally quite slim and light. The party that requested these have now been made aware these will not be 'wireless' in terms of power(!) Just need a few models so I can send them off to the purchasing manager to get quoted on!
  14. Thanks for the responses. Our new SAN (NetApp) does it's own deduplication, so is it worth upgrading our file server to 2012 R2 and turning it on there too or not?
  15. We didn't get the money in the end! So a bit of an odd question, would the following ram work? Kingston 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 Non ECC CL11 DIMM PC3-12800 As I can swipe that from some of the new desktop PCs coming this year!
  16. How much local storage do you provide for students and staff these days? We have been giving students 100mb and staff 200mb since the beginning of time, which is obviously now absolutely rubbish! But our new 24TB storage is now in place so we can afford to be slightly more generous
  17. I've been asked to confirm which Adobe licensing we need and I'm confused myself! We do it based on staff FTE count and the options are below : Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Apps Adobe Creative Cloud Design and Web Premium Adobe Creative Cloud Student Home Use Option What the $%^& is the difference between 'Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Apps' and 'Adobe Creative Cloud Design and Web Premium'?!
  18. Well the NM decided to have a look too and he didn't get much further! (We even did a factory reset on the switch and just set it up from scratch to try and work it out but to no avail!) We didn't quite understand where the 192.168.130.254 gateway is coming from either. Tomorrow's plan is to stick a basic 5 port switch in just to try and get the laptop talking to either the QNAP or the ESX box!
  19. I'm stumped! In our disaster recovery site we have a Cisco 2960G switch, which connects together a QNAP NAS device to a VMWare ESXi box. They ain't talking to each other after a power cut yesterday! This was set up by our previous network support company, anyway the switch itself has a IP of 10.201.95.246 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0 for VLAN 1 which is our switch IP range and presumably so it can be managed. The QNAP and ESXi box should be talking over VLAN500 which has a blank IP/subnet, ports 17-18 and 19-20 are all set up for this VLAN500, as P01 and P02 (EtherChannels?). Ignoring the ESXi box for a moment, Ports 2 and 3 on the QNAP connect back to Ports 17-18 on the switch and on the QNAP 2-3 has been assigned as IP 192.168.130.10 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.130.254 VLAN 500. So to simplify things I configured Port 13 on the Cisco to VLAN 500, plugged a laptop in set IP 192.168.130.13 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.130.254...but it won't receive any traffic or ping the QNAP so I'm now confused as to what to do next!
  20. Ooh I'll have to check our DR room as there is always a smell upon entering it but I've been thinking it is the AC unit!
  21. googlemad

    Netbooks

    Are there a few suppliers that can actually supply the Linx? (Ideally the 'Pro' education one with the case and keyboard) I had a quick look and most suppliers seemed a bit short of stock or just sold out entirely with no estimates on restock! I have to go through a procurement process annoyingly so actually need to find around 3-5 suppliers with availability @Stone_Charli we deal with Stone already so I'll get a quote for your solution too off our account manager to chuck in the mix
  22. googlemad

    Netbooks

    They'll be standalone for now (I would love to have all mobile equipment on the domain but it ain't gonna be happening anytime soon sadly!) Thanks for all the options, I'll have a look into them. In fact we may have purchased the Stone ones last year, I've just pulled the short straw this year on purchasing some more!
  23. googlemad

    Netbooks

    I've been asked to source 30 netbooks. Now I thought the whole netbook fad was over and everyone was on tablets these days (don't worry, I've got to order some of those too!) but clearly not. Anyway are these any good : HP Stream 11 My only concern so far is storage, how much is there to play about with after OS install etc? (As long as it is around 10gb it should be fine though as they're only for library loan so should be saving to their Google account or USB drive really)
  24. Who do people on here use for VMWare licensing? We used to get it through our network support company but we parted ways to save some money and now the VMWare has come up from renewal. I spoke to a guy from VMWare who said we need to go through a reseller rather than directly. Do @Millgate provide it as we use those for Microsoft Licensing so it would be nice to keep it all in one place (Though no doubt the powers that be will want about a million quotes to compare!)
  25. Just a quick one, we have EES licensing in place (The FTE staff one!) and are asking suppliers to quote for PCs. Am I right in assuming we need to ask them to provide PCs with any variation of a Windows 7 or Windows 8 license?
×
×
  • Create New...