googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
RIP Comedian Caroline Aherne - dies at 52 of cancer
googlemad replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
Not another one! First Twiggy now Denise -
It's a bug when posting from Internet Explorer 6
-
Are you running the latest version of GADS? (4.2.1 as of this post) When I set up GADS it would often chuck out weird error messages in the status reports at random for no real reason, but they fixed it in the later version Never synced groups though just users so might not resolve your issue but worth a go!
-
How long does it take to deploy Windows 10? I did a fresh install on my i5 PC at home the other day from a USB3 pen drive to an SSD and it was done and dusted within 10 minutes! Getting to the stage where it takes longer to take apart the packaging than it does to actually configure the PC software wise
-
You can never find this stuff when you need it, 99p for a large bottle and cloth at Argos seems a good enough bargain to me Buy Philips Cleaning Solution - Large at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for TV aerials cables and accessories, Limited stock Technology, Televisions and accessories.
- 1 reply
-
- 2
-
-
Who's got a Pearson Vue Test Centre at their school?
googlemad replied to pete's topic in Educational Software
Another example of a company living in 1986 rather than 2016 looking at those requirements! The 'must be a physical rather than a virtual server' is laughable! -
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
-
looks like chrome wont support flash in the new year
googlemad replied to sted's topic in General Chat
...Then you get Dell and CCTV 'web based' admin interfaces that require Java v4.3494483839393905874354832434, no lower, no higher to actually function! Wiring up the whole building with the CCTV cameras probably takes less time than actually getting the web admin to work! -
I'm not a fan of technical questions during interviews personally, would rather someone ask me about theory or a scenario as an example of a question I got asked at one interview : How would you ensure high availability of a virtual environment (Multiple switches, VM servers, UPS, vSphere HA etc) On the other hand I've had interviews that just give you a load of multiple choice questions clearly nicked straight off the net! Which is exactly what I would do in the job if stuck with one of the technical difficulties, Google it
-
Visual Programming for the Visually Impaired project update
googlemad posted a topic in General Chat
Some of you will remember me begging for your votes a few months ago : http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/161008-please-vote-great-project.html Anyway, the college were one of the projects picked for funding which enabled the purchase of a 3D Printer! A few updates since : (The 'physical' Unreal game level was hand made by the tutor!) And as I found out recently Calum (the visually impaired student) was on Blue Peter with his new guide dog, Iggy! BBC iPlayer - Blue Peter - Brand New Dream Big Competition! (About 18:00 in) (Oi, no dogs allowed in the IT room! ) It's really cool stuff! - well apart from the 3D Printer totally knackering up recently but that is another story! -
And in Groupwise, the ability to retract email if you sent it by mistake from anyone that hadn't read it yet!
-
I remember hacking my mates Packard Bell Windows 98 Master Restore CD to upgrade my Windows 95 Packard Bell back in the day!
-
Weird, I thought those were arch enemies back in the day rather than the same company! My first computer was an AST
-
Google Apps directory sync - want to exclude some student account
googlemad replied to googlemad's topic in Cloud Services
I had that in but it wasn't working. However in the end I went through the settings again and unticked the 'Replace domain names in LDAP email addresses (of users and groups) with this domain name' from the Google Apps Configuration section as this was essentially stripping the email part of the field out therefore it wouldn't find it to exclude. All our user accounts in AD have the full correct email address with our domain so it works fine now unticked and with the exclusion rule in place for the new users -
We recently have taken on another college and created some accounts for their students in our Active Directory. They do not require email from us but will instead be using their existing college email addresses. So in our students container we have 'our' student accounts with the email field containing : [email protected] But now we also have 'their' student accounts : [email protected] Is there an easy way to tell Google Apps directory sync to ignore any users with an email value ending in @college2.ac.uk? At the moment it is creating the accounts on Gmail but stripping the college2 part and just putting our @college.ac.uk at the end after the username, we don't need or want them to sync at all! I understand we could just create a seperate OU in AD for them but this would require quite a bit of work for our current setup!
-
My soon to be former job It was supposed to go out to job sites and be on the actual college website yesterday but doesn't seem to have got there yet, so I've downloaded the job spec off our intranet and (hopefully!) attached it as a PDF to this post, and a link to the jobs page on the website where you can read more about the general college and download an application form (CVs will not be accepted) Without wanting to sound too biased a very nice location to work too in a world heritage site, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the role and I'll try my best to answer them. Shipley College Jobs - How To Apply AdvertJDPS-ITEngineerDeputyITManager-March2016.pdf
-
We currently have 3 servers in a vSphere HA configuration, however a couple of slight issues in that one of them keeps randomly failing / losing datastore connections and one is AMD rather than Intel used in the other two so cannot perform 'live' VM migration. Anyway this means most of our servers are currently all running on the fully working host, which is obviously killing resources. So for the moment want to have all critical servers on the working one then the servers which don't really affect too many people on the second and third hosts. Is it just a case of knocking the attached option to 'Manual' to prevent them from automatically getting nudged across to the dodgy host? (New servers coming over the summer, not that I'll be here for that! )
-
More like £359 for the useless 16GB and £439 for the 64GB!
-
That is sort of the point, at £20 a month I *just* stayed with them. Now they've announced yet another price hike I might as well actually see what I use on average and potentially half my bill in the process!
-
Could be worse. I was on the Three £15 pay each month plan with unlimited data and god knows what else (I hardly touch the minutes or texts). Then it went up to £20, fair enough still a reasonable deal... Just got a text through stating now they're gonna be sticking a 12GB cap on and unlimited data will now cost £25 a month. Goodbye Three, I'm out.
-
Another sad loss, what is it with death and 2016? Must be horrible finding out you have incurable brain cancer and that you only have a matter of weeks to live too
-
If someone internally visits our website without the www. they get a page cannot be displayed error. This is probably down to the fact that our Active Directory domain is the same 'name' as the website name so DOMAIN.AC.UK, is there any way to configure so that people can access our website internally without the www or not? (Obviously works fine externally)
