googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
Thanks guys I have been reliably informed that the document should now be public!
-
Callum is a blind student that enjoys programming and is part of a project to make visual programming more accessible for other blind students. He's a great guy, I've met him several times Could you all please vote to get the project off the ground all you need is your email address, you don't even need to find a moth in your wallet for this one! https://elevator.jisc.ac.uk/e/accessiblebydesign/idea/visual-programming-visually-impa P.S screw you turtle, I can program using Angry Birds now instead!!! Thank you
-
You could do with upgrading to the latest version, I think we had 8.1 and it certainly caused a few odd glitches on Windows 7. We now have version 11 which has the added benefit of you can do a network share install so that no installation is actually required on client PCs.
-
Thanks, in the end I used Eeaus Free as it had a limit of recovering 1gb which was more than enough... ..However I could have not bothered at all as the PST was in the My Documents folder which was backed up by the computer shop! Oh well!
-
A family friend has in their wisdom had their laptop down a computer shop to be reinstalled and they've done a terrible job of doing so - especially when I initially did the laptop I kindly left a Windows system image backup on a secondary partition! (Luckily they didn't wipe that!) Anyway previous to it being wiped Outlook was installed and they're wondering if I can somehow recover Outlook (easy enough) and their email - harder as I need to somehow dig up the PST file! Any free software which I can try to recover it? I doubt very much the hard drive has been anything more than quick formatted...
-
My PC boots up Windows 10 literally as soon as I've pressed the power button - before the monitor has chance to flick from standby to active my desktop is up! If you have a more modern motherboard it makes quite a large difference!
-
Anyone had experience with Sandisk Z400S SSD drives? Seem to be the cheapest going at the minute (£30 - £35 for 128GB), we have verrry few pennies left this year therefore are looking to reallocate out lots of 2009(!) PCs to staff but put 4GB RAM and SSDs in them first! Don't have to be performer of the year just general staff office use etc
-
On one of our servers we can push out Sophos from the Enterprise Console however when updating the RMSNT install always fails and therefore it can't be reported on from the console! If the Remote Management MSI is run manually it installs and uninstalls perfectly fine, but we can't do it this way as then Sophos tries to update again and breaks it!
-
This summer we bought desktop PCs with 16gb RAM. We can't even allocate that amount of RAM to any of our virtual servers at the moment as resources are so tight...go figure! I certainly don't understand it but all the SMT want to see are shiny boxes in classrooms...even though no more than 50% are ever in use at any one time!
-
In 8 years I've never dared to look
-
You need SSDs. Nice and cheap now and a huge performance boost I know you're referring to older machines but our most recent summer machines (i3/8gb/128gb SSD) boot Windows 7 up in <5 seconds. Windows 10 from a quick test was even faster!
-
This is a weird one and seems to only affect machines deployed with SCCM as our 32 Bit machines don't do it Anyway in the Windows 7 taskbar blank ghost icons seem to be present. They don't do anything when clicked and can vary from one to lots (an extreme example is attached!). Annoyingly this also prevents some of the other icons from being 'clickable' for some reason including quite an important one - volume control I've also noticed the 'Network' icon should be present but isn't so the mystery deepens! Has anyone come across this before?
-
Has anyone successfully rolled out the latest City and Guilds SecureAssess MSI with Group Policy? I've got an exams software policy with -E2 Online -AAT SecureAssess -C&G SecureAssess E2 and AAT work perfectly, but C&G doesn't install. When I run the MSI manually I get a message about it being created using a trial version of something or other so maybe that is the reason? Downloaded the client this morning from the website
-
I set up Papercut email to print a while ago, all working great - Seperate server to do the processing etc. Anyway, since powering back on after the summer it is no longer working! The email settings in Papercut for email to print are : POP3 SSL pop.gmail.com 995 (email to print pickup email address) (password) Status: OK Enabled printers: 1 (Configure at Printers ▸ Printer List) Supported attachments: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, PDF PaperCut Web Service is Running. Waiting for new print jobs. It could possibly be down to our firewall blocking something, but I can't quite work out what and PaperCut hasn't got any obvious errors anywhere. I checked the PaperCut Web logs but they're not much use as the processing server isn't finding any jobs to process from the email account therefore it isn't bringing up any error!
-
Anyone on here moving on from here or worked here in the past? I'm interested in applying but the actual JD and PS are very basic, the job advert is basically the most detailed part of it! My main concern being I don't really deal with Linux in my current role, I could learn but it seems quite an odd setup in general!
-
We have some teacher PCs with on board DVI and VGA inputs. Monitors go in to the DVI, IWBs go in to the VGA to save a few quid on splitters. Anyway we set them to clone display in the Intel HD control panel but it seems this is a per user setting and therefore teachers keep ringing up moaning about the display not showing on the IWB! If I uninstall the Intel HD driver and use the Standard VGA Driver the clone works beautifully however I imagine this will then cause problems with video playback and the like due to it just being the Standard VGA driver. Any suggestions? Ideally the graphics driver just needs to be installed without any of the Intel control panel nonsense!
-
Does anyone know how to disable the 'Next time you use Smartink' popup window that appears when users log in?
-
Dell Inspiron Micro Desktop, brand new, Intel J1800, SSD, Win 8.1 incl del & VAT £99 @ Dell - Hot UK Deals As usual with this bloody deals site my bank account seems to be missing around £99 that I'm sure was there this morning...
-
Does anyone know if there is a way to set a Kyocera MFD so it automatically attempts to print to A4 if a dodgy page size is sent? We constantly get phone calls about MFDs out of paper because the students miss the option to select one of the trays and select 'Continue' to print... Papercut is in place too if we can do it that way
-
Anyone else watch the Apple conference last night?
googlemad replied to Grey-gear's topic in General Chat
At the moment phones / tablets are at a state of 'how do you add more non gimmick stuff', I am a huge fan of my 6 Plus having owned the original iPhone then the iPhone 5. The biggest problem I had with the 5 was how the battery life was crap, but then it got nicked so I bought the 6 Plus which lasts ages as long as you don't have stupid brightness levels! Personally i would rather just buy the new MacBook Retina rather than a blown up iPad as I find iOS far too restricted to do proper work but then again I've never had a use for a tablet -
This is really winding me up! I've configured Google Apps Directory Sync perfectly, it works both manual and scheduled but every few imports I'm getting " Unable to set org unit of com.google.usersyncapp.sync.State$User@61e3e87c - com.google.api.client.googleapis.json.GoogleJsonResponseException: 404 Not Found" This is to do with moving the account from the main organization into a 'student' sub organization - the actual account is created it just isn't moved yet some times it works perfectly so it isn't a configuration issue! Anyone had the same as it defeats the point of having a nice automated schedule if I have to keep going in manually to sort it out!
-
Thanks for all the suggestions, Movie Maker crashed and MakeAVI looked promising but did very weird things to the video for some reason during the process! In the end we found a guide how to do it with VirtualDUB and this was a)fast and b)perfect for stitching together the 14,000 image files to get the timelapse video going in time for the grand opening and everyone was happy! Hurrah!
-
I've just been asked to knock together a 5-10 minute video of our new building construction that can be shown at the grand opening tomorrow. Cheers for the notice! Anyway we have had a webcam recording but this is thousands and thousands of hours of video to go through which simply isn't going to happen, luckily the software has been taking a still image every 15 minutes so I just need to put those together into a speedy video Any software that can do this free of charge?
