googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
Some of our virtual servers have an additional NIC for our DMZ network, which the firewall likes to keep playing up with. If we restart the DMZ NIC on the server through LAN Connections however the external world can access the server again. So as a bit of a fail safe is there any way it can be scheduled so the servers automatically perform this reset say once a day at 3am? (It only takes a few seconds!)
-
You should be able to get a new head for about £300-£400, it isn't rocket science to swap out (even I can manage it!)
-
That code is the bugger! Will have a look at what patches are installed and get the machine up to date on Monday (WSUS isn't working right at the moment which is a key summer project to sort out!) It wouldn't usually be a great problem except this is the PC connected to a large TV in our Centre of Excellence which local employers often visit, if their first impression is 'running dodgy Windows' it isn't great first impression!
-
I keep getting told by a reliable tutor (With screenshot evidence!) that a PC keeps coming up with a popup 'This computer is not running Genuine Windows' The thing is, when I go across and check the System properties it says 'Windows is activated' and it shows as such in the KMS console, so I'm baffled as to what is going on?!
-
OMG when did McDonalds suddenly get self service ordering touch screens? They are far too easy to order far too much food on as there isn't any pressure stood at the checkout trying to study the menu!
-
Does anyone know of better mounts for under desks to mount PCs? We have the attached ones and the number 1 complaint is the PCs are constantly falling out of them!
-
Is there any easy way to update some print drivers on a server? (Kyocera MFD devices). I can't seem to find an obvious way to do it without destroying the existing printer queues (Which may in turn screw up PaperCut!)
-
Very good software, fairly easy to use for both the end user and administrator yet also quite powerful if you have the time to go through it properly. We had PCounter before which 'worked' but I was terrified of changing much in case it broke the entire system! The interface was also getting out of date and very clunky to use whereas Papercut has a clear web based interface.
-
The only issue with them is if you mount them behind a monitor it becomes a bit of a spaghetti junction on the desk with all the cabling and then unfortunately there is a power brick too to hide!
-
Ignore me! I wasn't touching the screen hard enough!
-
Yes, although I did notice in the print queue the 'owner' is SYSTEM rather than the actual user (Although the user can obviously see it and release it under their user ID and it is also charged to the correct user ID once released)
-
I've set up PaperCut Email to Print which is working well in my testing however one small potential problem has arisen in the fact that any email jobs sent to the MFD (pull queue) when displayed on the MFD screen can only be printed and you can't seem to select them and delete them if you no longer require them. Is there something obvious I'm missing?
-
Deep Packet Inspection - Certificate
googlemad posted a topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
We have set up Deep Packet Inspection on our wireless network so that when terms such as 'naked women' are typed into Google it removes all the women without clothes on. Anyway this works, BUT there is a HUGE problem with it in that unless a Watchguard HTTPS certificate is somehow installed on the device (And this device could literally be anything!) a 'Certificate warning' pops up for any secure sites such as Google / Google Mail etc rendering the whole thing unusable. But if we turn it off then people can access the naked women again so stuck between a rock and a hard place really! Is there any way that when they connect to the WiFi the certificate is part of the connection? I'm a bit confused as to how to go about it! -
I would also like to know this. If I upgrade our server do our MFDs (Kyocera) just pick up a new version has been applied to the server and update themselves or is there more to it than that?
-
I keep getting bugged by lots of people because apparently to do basic editing stuff in Google Drive apps (such as copy and paste!!) you now need to install some extension or another for Google Chrome. What is this extension exactly and how can I roll it out en masse so I get bugged less?
-
We have two Watchguard devices for DR purposes. When the two cluster interface ports are connected together via a X-over cable in the same location this works fine and is picked up by the Watchguard system manager. We can connect to and configure both. However the grand plan is to have one of these across in our other building in case this building burns down. We have tried to connect the cluster interfaces to a Cisco switch in each building on a dedicated VLAN however now the Watchguard system manager does report the 'backup master' however we can't ping the management IP address or configure it...the following communication log occurs: 03/19/15 11:10:40 Initiating login of appliance. 03/19/15 11:10:40 Login of appliance successful. 03/19/15 11:10:40 Initiating handshake with appliance. 03/19/15 11:10:41 Handshake failed. Any ideas?
-
Folder redirection not working for Exam logins
googlemad replied to googlemad's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
OK I figured this out...in the FSRM I had created a test policy to block any desktop.ini files being created in the exam user areas and this somehow broke the folder redirection! (Good job I never ended up rolling that out to the main students!) -
Got a bit of a weird one Created some exam logins, as with student logins their Desktop / Documents folders should be redirected to their home area as specified in the student Group Policy folder redirection settings (The 'Exams' group are set up in this policy too). Try logging in one of the accounts, and the Desktop folders etc are created in the home area as expected...however on the client machine (several client machines) they aren't redirecting to the folders on the home area! All I can see is a vague 'Folder Redirection failed' error and when a run a gpresult /forgotwhatswitchiused I get Folder Redirection : N/A I'm sure this has worked in the past!
-
We have a osTicket support desk system which users can either access internally or externally. This is set up as a website within IIS with the following authentication : Anonymous authentication : Disabled Windows authentication : Enabled HTTP 401 Challenge Internally it works fine, users can access and their Windows credentials are passed through to authenticate Externally users get a login box so that they can enter their Windows credentials. This is fine APART from on some user machines the login box assumes they want to login to HOMEPC\account rather than OURDOMAIN\account! Is there any way to force the login to map to OURDOMAIN by default? I did try enabling the Anonymous authentication but this then broke the SSO for osTicket!
-
What I was doing in this job 16 years ago.....
googlemad replied to kennysarmy's topic in General Chat
Year 8 I think. Wasn't it around the time optical mice started to become the 'must have' thing? I clearly remember being amazed by the red light and the smooth nature compared to the previous mice! I also clearly remember the scroll wheel in the middle not working at all as most of the school was still running Windows 95! -
This week we are planning to finally run the Google Sync tool against our AD student OU to remove (OK, suspend for now!) almost 5,000 student email accounts on our Google Apps system who don't match up with the current AD (So presuming they have finished their course / left etc). Obviously there are going to be a few ex students that are no doubt still using their account! (We can't allow this as it means they're basically emailing from the @college.ac.uk address even though they're no longer a member of the college!). I'm lost as to the easiest way or tool so that they (or we) can easily migrate their entire account contents across to a standard @gmail.com address. What is the best course of action?
-
Found out there is now a 64 Bit version of Chrome which resolved the issue! (Great, now 2 versions of Chrome to remember to maintain...better get on with that whole college 64 Bit migration over the half term break!)
-
Bizarre problem we are currently having. On our 32 Bit Windows 7 machines when a user goes to print something from Google Chrome, selects their options using the 'Print using system dialog' (As the Chrome ones have zero effect!) it works fine. Yet perform THE EXACT SAME STEPS on a 64 Bit Windows 7 machine and as you can set the actual print driver options but as soon as you click 'Print' the entire Chrome freezes up and you have to end it via task manager (and the print doesn't go through). Nothing is reported in the crash log either! Version 40.0.2214.111 m so all up to date Any ideas what is going on as I haven't! Print model is Kyocera TASKalfa 3551ci KX
-
I used to enjoy doing factory reinstalls back in the day of Windows 95/98/ME! ...Then I worked out how to do it myself from scratch! Happy days!
