googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
Bit of a strange one this, I have a Group Policy set up with various things such as Remove Ctrl+Alt+Del during login etc, which all works fine. But the policy has the "Rename (local) administrator account" from Administrator to pcadmin and for whatever reason it isn't applying to any newly imaged machines. The only thing I can think of is the policy also has a group policy preference to 'update' the pcadmin account with a new password as the students managed to crack the old one, but it can't 'update' it if it doesn't exist so maybe gives up trying to rename from Administrator?
-
I'm trying to build a Windows 7 image to import into MDT, I have got one already but it is 2-3 years old so I'm doing a new one with all the latest updates. Since machines will be going in a Server 2008 R2 level Active Directory a lot of the settings can be controlled by Group Policy later on, so really just trying to work out what I need to change on the actual image? As I've forgot!
-
OK so I've set up a server with SCCM 2012, all seemed to go OK. But now I've got no idea what to do next! Ideally I just want to import one computer in our office to test with and deploy the client to it, is that possible? I've been playing around a little bit but all I end up getting is wonderful and weird error messages!
-
Got it now, cheers
-
Thanks...now I've got a number of other options under that option! QL Server 2012 Standard English 32/64 bit4300 MBISO System Center 2012 with SP1 - Operations Manager Server English32/64 bit1059 MBISO System Center 2012 with SP1 - Orchestrator Server Multi-Language32/64 bit157 MBISO System Center 2012 with SP1 - Service Manager Server Multilanguage32/64 bit403 MBISO System Center 2012 with SP1 - DataProtection Mgr Server and Toolkit Multilanguage32/64 bit4720 MBISO The SQL is fairly obvious but the rest? I would guess the 'Operations Manager' but I don't have a clue!
-
Trying to make a start on SCCM 2012 this week, what do I need to download from the Microsoft Licensing site? System Center 2012 Client Management Suite System Center 2012 Client Management Suite with Service Pack 1 System Center 2012 Config Mgr Client Mgmt Licens System Center 2012 Config Mgr Client Mgmt License with Service Pack 1
-
Does anyone know where the cheapest places are to source approx 50 Crucial 64GB M4 SSD at the moment? Our usual suppliers are hovering around the £60 per unit mark is this about the cheapest we'll get? (Minus a few pence for ordering 50 )
-
AUTODESK Free software now can be used in the Classroom!
googlemad replied to chazzy2501's topic in Enterprise Software
Many thanks for this...the media department only just recently moaned about how we only have so many 3D Max licenses and how we were out of date so this should shut them up! -
Figured it out : To remove the old one a batch file with the following cd c:\program files\tightvnc uninstall.exe /S (If you're using 64 bit, stick (x86) onto Program Files) Then to install the new MSI file another batch file with the following msiexec.exe /x "\\adc1\testappsshare\vnc\MSI\tightvnc-2.7.3-setup-32bit.msi" /q msiexec.exe /i "\\adc1\testappsshare\vnc\MSI\tightvnc-2.7.3-setup-32bit.msi" /quiet /norestart ADDLOCAL=Server SET_IPACCESSCONTROL="1" VALUE_OF_IPACCESSCONTROL="10.201.100.108-10.201.255.255:1" SET_RUNCONTROLINTERFACE=0 VALUE_OF_RUNCONTROLINTERFACE=0 SET_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1 VALUE_OF_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1 SET_PASSWORD=1 VALUE_OF_PASSWORD=password SET_VIEWONLYPASSWORD=1 VALUE_OF_VIEWONLYPASSWORD=password SET_USECONTROLAUTHENTICATION=1 VALUE_OF_USECONTROLAUTHENTICATION=1 SET_CONTROLPASSWORD=1 VALUE_OF_CONTROLPASSWORD=password rmdir /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\TightVNC\" (The above switches need to be customized for your environment). Stick both batch files in a Computer Startup policy (you don't need the first one unless you're currently running an old version of VNC <2.5.2) and sorted. Bit messy but it works. The advantage of having it do the uninstall and reinstall of the MSI each startup is that you can change the switch options like the password etc and it should get applied to all computers next time they start up.
-
For the past few years we have been rolling out VNC using an excellent guide that was posted on here http://www.edugeek.net/forums/network-classroom-management/74441-how-guide-deploy-vnc-via-group-policy.html However looking recently we are on quite an old version now and there is a shiny new version out with an MSI package! Reading this document explains all the various options available http://www.tightvnc.com/doc/win/TightVNC-installer-2.5.2.pdf However how do we add these options when deploying via a Group Policy object?
-
'***POWERPOINT FOR MEDIA SHOWCASE - SELECT PRESENTATION BASED ON COMPUTER LOCATION*** Set objNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network") strCompName = objNet.ComputerName IF left(strCompName,1) = "E" THEN Run "I:\MOTD\Cyberchondriacs.ppsx" Elseif left(strCompName,1) = "S" THEN Run "I:\MOTD\Pixelarity.ppsx" Elseif left(strCompName,1) = "M" THEN Run "I:\MOTD\RobotLlama.ppsx" Else END IF '***POWERPOINT CODE END*** Only problem is, all buildings are getting the Cyberchondriacs.ppsx
-
In our logon script we have the following which is used occasionally for broadcasting a PowerPoint slide show to a student when they log in (For advertising events etc) 'Run Minal PowerPoint 'Run "I:\MOTD\RedNoseDay.ppsx" This is powered by a subroutine but I don't think that is too important to this particular question '*************************************************************** 'Sub routine to run programs - POWERPOINT '*************************************************************** Sub Run(ByVal sFile) Dim shell Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") shell.Run Chr(34) & sFile & Chr(34), 1, false Set shell = Nothing End Sub Anyway, it has been requested to show one of 3 PowerPoint files based on building location. Our computer names are rather logical, so as long as I could find some sort of script that identified the first letter of the computer name (E, S or M) and then loaded the appropriate presentation file that would be ideal. Any ideas?
-
Think based on the posts so far I'll try and get a quote with the 650Ti.
-
-Run Adobe CS6 Master collection including Premiere -Run 3DS Max 2008 / 2011 (Don't think this is a big deal considering it is sometimes used on PCs with basic Intel graphics!) -Run Games at medium settings - The students should be working not having a LAN tournament! -Be able to power 2 21" - 25" monitors Just looking back on a spec from 2 years ago when we last ordered some media machines they came with a PNY Quadro FX580 512MB so the 2013 equivalent(s) of that would be suitable I guess! At this rate I might have to ask our supplier to send out a eval machine along with a few graphic cards! Then get the media staff to feedback
-
Thanks for the replies...We're looking for a mid range card - The games won't be anything too challenging I imagine, they're hardly going to be developing the next Call Of Duty! They also run 3D Studio Max 2008 / 2010 courses. The monitors will be dual 21" - 25" Our initial quote was for a PNY Quadro 4000 2GB GDDR5 which gets very expensive when we need to order so many new media machines! Although that was just a quick quote knocked up based on some Adobe recommended spec.
-
What graphics card would you recommend for media / video editing / gaming PCs? (Adobe CS6 Master Suite / 3DS Max / Game Development) Trying to get some ideas for our new media PC spec that won't blow the budget but will keep the students / staff happy at the same time!
-
Our web based MIS system has hyperlinks to reports from a network drive. So for example X:\report\abc.pdf This works fine with Internet Explorer, but Google Chrome does not like it (yet it used to a few weeks ago!) Any ideas how to get it working again?
-
That makes more sense, since we have about 300 staff but not all full time
-
OK I need to get my head round our Microsoft Volume Licensing over the summer as part of reviewing various licensing stuff. Sadly the guy who dealt with it before passed away so I'm thrown in at the deep end a little as it were! As far as I can see we have a Parent Program : Open Value Subscription Start Date : 2011-06-14 End Date : 2014-06-30. So why is the renewal date Renewal Date : 2017-06-30? The licenses are listed and for some reason we are licensed for Exchange Server Standard CAL - Device CAL, Lync Server Standard - Device CAL, Office SharePoint Server Standard CAL - Device CAL, System Center Configuration Manager Client ML, System Center Endpoint Protection even though we've never used these products at all! More worryingly, the licenses we do have for Windows / Office (Which state they're for Windows 8 / Office 2013 although I guess that means they also cover the licensing for the previous versions) the 'Effective quantity / Active SA quantity' shows a figure of 282. Should that figure match up how many PCs / laptops the products are installed on? As if so we appear to be under licensed by almost 75%!
-
It's ridiculous here to be honest, they sent out an email quite late saying 'Set off? Might as well come in and work until 12. Not set off? Don't bother!' So essentially the ones (me!) that made an effort to come in are being made to work but if you were lucky enough to read the email before getting in you can have the whole day off?!
-
We have a finance software package that will be sitting on a 2008 R2 box connected to our Active Directory. It uses two Windows groups to assign appropriate security rights (The database is SQL so the groups are effectively added as SQL users to assign the rights as required). Now the members of the groups are pulled from Active Directory as it is just the Finance staff normal login accounts, but is it best practice to place the actual groups in the Active Directory or just have them on the Finance server since that is the only software that will be using the groups? Hope this makes some form of sense!
-
Sadly not! Maybe give it a couple of restarts...
-
Paste the following in a notepad (From address should be the one you've set up in IIS and the To address should be valid) Then save the notepad in c:\inetpub\mailroot\pickup as "test" (include the quotation marks as this makes sure no file extension is put on the end) and it should work. I only set this up myself yesterday afternoon!
-
In the Gmail account POP needs to be enabled (Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP) Then in IIS SMTP settings : Delivery Tab Outbound security Basic authentication Username : [email protected] (replace gmail.com with google apps domain if applicable) Password : yourgmailpassword Tick TLS encryption Click OK Outbound Connections TCP port 587 Click OK Advanced Smart host smtp.gmail.com Click OK
-
At the moment all our team are using the default 'Administrator' account to access the servers, change file permissions and so on. My aim is to have individual named admin accounts for each member of the team for proper auditing purposes and so on. What I have done is created a 'Admin users' OU and then selected the built in Administrator account and used the 'Copy' function several times to create the new custom admin user accounts. The theory being they would pick up all the same permissions as the Administrator account. However, it isn't working properly! They can't seem to create user accounts in Active Directory using our custom CSV import script and every time they try to access stuff on the file server they get 'You need permission...presss OK to get permission' which does give them permission but adds an entry for their user account to the ACL which gets a bit messy and they should already have access as 'Domain Admins' have full control to the folders and files and they are in the 'Domain Admins' group! Does anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong? It all seemed so simple!
