Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. In our library many staff work on the issue counter. To save them having to log off and log on each time they change shift etc they make use of 'Switch User' in W7 which works well apart from one thing... If the first person that logs in leaves the Lanschool Teacher application running the second/third etc person cannot open it as it gets 'locked' by the first person having it open. Any workaround?
  2. Does anyone know where I can get a very cheap USB MiFare card reader? All I really need it to do is when I scan a card over it is for it to read the card 'serial number' as it were and paste it into a notepad / text field. So nothing too complex really!
  3. googlemad

    Snow!

    Our place is closed, actually there is naff all on the website yet which is very poor just an email from the principal to all staff distribution list (Despite the fact all the students have an email and a all students distribution list too...oh never mind!). I think this could quite possibly be the best Monday morning ever
  4. googlemad

    Snow!

    We had a bit of snow 4pm - 7pm yesterday, but not much. And little to none overnight as when I was walking to work this morning I could still see my foot prints on the driveway from last night! Did get excited when an email just went round 'College is closed' ... 'tomorrow'.
  5. We have a Capita UNIT-e database server (Further education MIS system), currently on Windows 2003 with SQL 2005. Now I've built a new Windows 2008 R2 server with SQL 2012 - Both supported by Capita so no problems there. However, our in house developers link in to the SQL server with their custom reports and the like. If the new server has the same name as the old one (Obviously not at the same time!!), the same database instances, the same SA user password, would any links just work as if nothing had changed? Also, is there any benefit in then upgrading the MIS database to SQL 2012 schema? (Maybe I need to ask Capita on that one...) Thanks
  6. I am trying to download SQL Server Enterprise 2012 with Service Pack 1 64bit English ISO However it seems to either not download at all, or download at speeds that even a 56k modem would laugh at. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm having this a lot recently with the Volume Licensing site
  7. Found the issue - Members of a particular group (Which I was a member of) don't get the policy applied which contains the redirection settings! So now an issue for me to delve into further, thanks for all your help
  8. Yes, I deleted from the root level on the server and removed any traces of profile folders from the client before logging back in.
  9. OK, so I've just deleted my roaming profile from the server and logged back in...Fine except now folder redirection isn't applying to my profile! Any ideas? Clients are Windows 7 and Servers are Server 2008 R2
  10. My aging Toshiba laptop is only just starting to struggle now and with Windows 8 and Office 2013 out it seems now is an excellent time to let it retire! So, I'm looking for a laptop in the £300 - £500 price range. At home, it is my main computer pretty much although I don't have any requirements for gaming - Just general Office / Facebook etc. Although I would like it to be at least capable of running a couple of VMs too. Any suggestions? Intel ideally, also I would like an SSD but presumably it'll be cheaper to get one with a standard drive and do the SSD swap out myself.
  11. We have a QCF CD with several Internet browser based courses / modules. I copied it onto a network location however some of the elements do not appear but work fine on the CD or when copied to my local hard drive. Permissions seem to be OK, it seems to be a problem in that a lot of the pages use Javascript which is getting blocked somewhere. Any ideas?
  12. Found the problem - Didn't have a reverse lookup zone set up.
  13. Our Server 2003 servers connected to our Server 2008 R2 domain all seem to have weird DNS errors in the event viewer! Mainly : Dnsapi (Failed to register PTR) NetBT (The name could not be registered) MrxSMB (The master browser...) Any ideas as to what is going on? DNS confuses me a lot!
  14. Is there an easy way (via GP presumably) to allow student / limited accounts to be able to stop / start the Print Spooler service? We're having a lot of printer issues which a restart of the spooler usually solves but students can't do this so and if they could it would save us a lot of time!
  15. I've set the policy for Google Chrome default home page URL to be http://www.ourwebsite.com/site/link.html however when I fire up Chrome it goes to http://www.ourwebsite.com/site/ and loads up the index file instead. Any ideas on how to get it pointing to the specific link.html page? (There is a design problem with the index file at the moment!)
  16. Got a few Bluesocket access points, shoved them in POE Cisco switches with the relevant vLans set up etc and they do show in the Bluesocket management interface however they keep going down and up, almost like the Cisco switches are blocking them in some way from operating correctly. Any ideas on what I'm missing?
  17. Is there any easy way to nuke the Sophos Enterprise Console database of computers and start from scratch?! We have synced the AD OUs with Sophos Enterprise Console, however over the summer we've renamed a few PCs which AD has coped with however Sophos still decides to pick up the old names and gets itself in a muddle, despite deleting the objects from the Enterprise Console, disabling then enabling the AD sync and a few other things. Basically, it is being a pain in the a$%£ as usual!
  18. Turned out to be a faulty DVI cable!
  19. Imaged an entire suite of the same spec PCs, same monitors etc. One PC images fine, and shuts down after imaging (Normal). I then power it back up, gets past the BIOS and shows the Windows animation fine then the screen just goes black and nothing happens! Safe mode works fine too. Any ideas what is going on as I'm baffled! Tried imaging and formatting several times too...
  20. Port Fast seems to be the answer! As a non Cisco guru, can I just set all ports 'enabled when static access' or can I really screw things up if some of the ports are used to connect the switches together?
  21. Imaged a brand new machine with Windows 7 In domain, in relevant OU etc. Picks up Group Policy settings (as in custom login screen message etc) but does not want to apply software installation GPs (Every time gpupdate /force is run it keeps asking to restart but then still doesn't install the software). I notice from gpresult /r the machine seems to be looking at the secondary domain controller rather than the primary domain controller? Even though both primary and secondary are set in DNS settings. Removed the PC from AD / DNS and reimaged it, tried a different network point, still not working, got no idea where to go next!
  22. I'm looking forward to finding out the reaction from Students / Staff when they try our 2 new IT suites in September... (The Please Wait bit is obviously down to network policies etc so cut the video off there)
  23. Is there any way to get VNC to put a small notification on a user's screen when it is being controlled / viewed? Sort of "DOMAIN\User is viewing / controlling your PC" With Zenworks the Remote Control could do this...
  24. Have a really strange problem with our Evolis Pebble4 ID badge printers Basically our student ID badge 'template' has a section for a barcode, which is the student reference code but in barcode format (Using the 3of9 font). This has been installed on the PCs and when the badge is previewed on screen, the barcode is there. However, when printing the badge the barcode is replaced by a weird selection of characters (see image). Now the thing that is confusing me is I login as a user that has administrative rights to the workstations and the barcodes print fine without any further configuration!! So totally confused!
  25. Not so much software but...printer deployment on a Server 2008 R2 network / Windows 7 clients Randomly not mapping, randomly disappearing, randomly not setting as default printer In fact of all 'moans' received this year printing is above the number 1!
×
×
  • Create New...