googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
Does anyone know a way of 'breaking' the link between Blackberry Enterprise Server and a GroupWise server? In simple terms we have 10 BlackBerry devices which were linked to a GroupWise Blackberry Enterprise Server, now we have migrated to Google Mail so do not need the GroupWise link however if we shut down the Novell GroupWise server it stops all the Blackberry devices from even picking up Google Mail?!
-
On our media systems we have a secondary scratch drive / partition. Is there a way to create a folder at the root level e.g. 'Student Work' which local admin users and domain admin users have Full Control over and then students can create their own subdirectory in this folder which only they can access? (other than admins). Hope that makes sense!
-
Have a server D:\Data Folder with various sub folders (All sub folders inherit D:\Data security as shown below) Security: LOCALSERVER\Administrators Full Control DOMAIN\Domain Admins Full Control DOMAIN\SQL Developer User Full Control No permissions being inherited from D:\ drive When trying to create a new DB under D:\Data\SQL_DATA\Data getting an error as attached. If I let D:\Data inherit D:\ drive security permissions everything works fine but I wanted to try and lock down the security as much as possible on this share so trying to work out the specific part it is failing on?
-
Is anyone deploying LanSchool Student client through AD Group Policy? I have a policy which deploys the client in Channel 99, then I changed the channel for different classrooms as required using the LanSchool Teacher Console. However, the machines then seem to pick up the Group Policy again on restart and change them back to Channel 99! Do we have to have a 'LanSchool Policy' for each individual classroom to assign specific channels?
-
How can we easily prevent standard user accounts (a.k.a. Students!) from installing Firefox? They've found they can download the installer, install it then have access to Facebook etc!
-
I can paste the file into a seperate sheet, yes
-
I have a Spreadsheet, let us call it "Student A". This spreadsheet contains nearly 10,000 rows. I have another Spreadsheets, "Student B". This spreadsheet contains nearly 2,000 rows. Due to a balls up by a member of the data analyst team providing us with a report for student logins, we obviously have a lot of logins that will never ever be used as the students go back years! (Imported from "Student A"). Somehow I need to create a "Student C" spreadsheet that contains all rows from "Student A" that do not appear in "Student B" so I can then run "Student C" to remove all the 'dead' logins! Any ideas? As my brain is breaking the speed limit right now...
-
If I use the left hand tree to rename it works fine, just not in the right hand side window. So that is the way round it
-
Bizarre issue Renaming some Group Policy objects, every time I enter the letter 'T' the rename stops! Any ideas?
-
With Novell we used JRBUtils for creating logins etc, was fantastic. Had a look at JRBUtils for Active Directory and it is isn't as good! Any similar packages that can be used for account creation (From CSV) etc? I'm sure a lot of you know the tasks I mean
-
Thanks - Will look into portfast
-
Spanning Tree Protocol...We do have that turned on and have noticed it is being funny with the DHCP but didn't know if we could turn it off without buggering anything else up?!
-
I'm scratching my head over this one Users have roaming user profiles, located in \\fps1\staff_profiles$\username They also have a home area, \\fps1\staff$\username On random machines and at random points a user will attempt to log on and receive a blank desktop with an error message: Their Desktop folder is redirected to a Desktop folder in their home area. The bizarre thing is, they also seem to then have no access to their H:\ drive which is specified in the login script to map to their home area directory, however they can access G:\ and I:\ drives which are shared directorys on the same fps1 server?! As soon as they log out and log back in to the same machine things seem back to normal. Like I mentioned, totally random! Any ideas?
-
Getting similar errors on our workstations but not using Windows Firewall...when a static IP is set everything works great. Just when using DHCP? Any ideas...
-
I built my image using VMWare Workstation, only just recently noticed that it seems to have left on a 'TP Output Gateway' print object on the image which seems to scan the network for any shared printers... Any way to remove this TP Output Gateway print object from all workstations easily via GP? Thanks
-
Sophos Enterprise Console on a 2008 R2 server, linked to the domain, pushing out the client to Windows 7 PCs linked to the domain. All seems OK but it won't actually complete the client install fully until an Administrator account logs in to the Windows 7 PC and sits there while it installs! Surely it shouldn't matter if the machine is sat at the login screen or a standard user is logged in, as I'm providing the administrative credentials to install over the network?! Windows Firewall is fully turned off on the servers / domain / workstations and the Remote Registry service is enabled too.
-
Although another smaller problem, even though 'Downloads' is set to follow the Documents folder redirection no 'Downloads' folder is created on the network area and that still points to C:\?
-
Duplicate folders may appear after enabling Folder Redirection You were right, had to turn that option on. Pretty stupid 'design' but who am I kidding, this is Microsoft!
-
Move the contents of the folder to the new location?
-
All the boxes are unticked. I think it is set to 'Create a folder for each user at the following path' setting if that affects it in any way? I will have a look at the thread suggested tomorrow when I'm sat at my desk thanks. Argh just when I thought I had things working great too!
-
We have set up folder redirections for My Documents etc and users have roaming profiles However this is what they can see: Any ideas? The folders seem to let them access the C:\ drive locations rather than redirect to the correct server based locations and in some cases there are duplicates! (One for the local one for the server) As our users will get confused very easily.
-
Argh! Just noticed that although Windows 7 hides memory card drives when there are no memory cards inserted, it still assigns drive letters even though they are hidden therefore buggering up network drive mappings! Will USBDLM do the trick if I deploy it via Group Policy?
-
Is there any way to create sub folders within DNS so that we can have a folder for each room to try and make things slightly easier when locating stuff? Sort of like OUs in AD.
-
Thanks, I found that shortly before you posted and it seems to do what is required. Bring on my weekend in Scarborough, I bloody well need it!
-
Used Novell before... Anyway Server 2008 R2 "abc" folder with a number of other folders below it So trying to share the "def" subfolder with relevant users to allow them modify etc. Fine. The network drive is mapped to the "abc" folder, trouble is the user clicks on the network drive and gets "Access Denied" even though they have permissions to the "def" subfolder. If they type in the raw path to the subfolder it comes up fine. We did then give our "All Staff" group 'View folder contents' right to the "abc" folder level but this means they can view all folder / file names some of which may be confidential! Any guidance as to where I'm going wrong?
