Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. I made the Group Policy change so that any new roaming profiles from approx March had the Administrator user added...but the rest are all owned by the...owner so I can't do anything with them until I manually take ownership one by one. Not ideal when there are over 700 folders in this state! Is there any batch command or utility to set it so the Administrator to get in? Need to archive them off somewhere as quite a few have work saved in (Sigh!) which may be wanted next year.
  2. Well our new PCs arrived on Friday. Core i5 2320 with 4gb RAM and 64gb Crucial M4 SSD. Intel DH67BL motherboard so SATA 3. Think I'll do a little video tomorrow of just how fast they boot up! And all I did was chuck on my Windows 7 image from last year not even done any tweaking yet!
  3. HP ProLiant Turion II N40L MicroServer - £100.. | Ebuyer.com
  4. When our support company came in to install a Sun Ray 2 solution they built the following on our ESXi : 2 x Solaris VMs (For the Sun stuff, one supposedly being a failover) But then 4 x Server 2008 R2 VMs, each with 4gb RAM and 1 vCPU for 'load balancing' Now my problem over the year has been 4 servers means 4 lots of updates, 4 lots of application installs etc - Can't keep them consistent with each other. Plus the issue of which session is where etc. So my plan was over the summer was to ditch the 4 VMs and build a single one, comprising of say 16gb RAM and 4 vCPU. Any problems with that?
  5. Trying to use the 'Screen sharing' function within AnyMeeting At first the Firewall blocked x-fcs content type, so allowed that Now it is blocking because of the following: Any ideas? Watchguard firewall
  6. Does anyone know where to obtain a cheap 8 port rack mount KVM? Used to have a Dell 71PXP which has randomly decided to give up the ghost...
  7. Thought that may be the case! I'll leave it down to the man with the money to decide...
  8. Has anyone used the Stone UniStand? http://www.stonegroup.co.uk/media/22582/j13515_sto-product_sheet-unistand-nc-hr.pdf Interested as keeping things tidy has always been a major problem for our classrooms!
  9. Is there a setting within Bluesocket that will enable 'anonymous' devices to connect and get straight on the Internet without needing logins etc? We have an event next week where it has been requested from the powers above that wireless is open to all for the day...
  10. You just prompted me to check a spec our supplier sent us. They've put an SSD upgrade on but the motherboard only has SATA 2 ports, so asked them to spec again with a motherboard that has SATA 3 ports!
  11. The Save As dialog box disappears and the file is not saved when you try to download a file in Internet Explorer 9 to a network share on which you have Change permissions Gotta love Microsoft!
  12. This is a weird one! A user is trying to download an MP3 from the following site using Internet Explorer 9 : Bird Sound Effects When they right click the MP3 link (Feeding Ducks for example) and select 'Save Target As', they then click their network drive (H:\) which is mapped to \\fileserver\areas$\username After clicking 'Save', the file doesn't save but the Save As dialog box comes back up again, click 'Save' again and the box goes away and doesn't come back but the file still hasn't saved. However, save to C:\ drive or USB drive and the file saves fine! Also tried saving in 'My Documents' which is redirected to the same user area path with no joy. Any ideas as I have no idea what is causing it!
  13. OK. I found a print mapping VBS script on here, and have modified it as below: The above maps the MFD queue for all users, as most users will print to this queue then collect their work from a MFD at a later stage (Pull printing). Therefore, I have a Group Policy object with this script set to run on Logon under 'User configuration', which is applied at the root of our custom 'Computers' OU. In some rooms, there may be a standalone printer. Hence I have another version of the script which maps both the MFD queue and the standalone printer queue : This is then applied in the same manner as above to the individual class / staff room sub OUs (located under the main custom Computers OU) It seems to work well and a lot faster than GPP. However, if the user is fast enough they can launch a program such as Word and the script will not have managed to have mapped the required printer as default - Any way to either speed this up or force the user to wait for the script to fully complete before being able to move the mouse / keyboard? Finally I noticed the mapped printers then seem to remain on the user profiles after logging out, so I was thinking I would need a 'Logoff' script to do the opposite of the 'Logon' script - Help! Thanks
  14. Our users tried this and it makes no difference! Still comes up with the new tab page.
  15. Google seem to have pushed out a Chrome update v19 and now it appears users are getting a blank / sign in to Google account page rather than our intranet home page! Any ideas how to resolve? We're using the group policy items provided by Google, do they need updating?
  16. I've got a VMWare 2008 R2 file server with a similar issue...The (virtual) disk used to store student profiles was initially 50gb, but then this started getting full so I increased to 100gb thinking I could just the extend the partition (Done this several times before with no problems!) - Now the Disk Management MMC reports the 100gb partition as being there but looking in Windows Explorer it claims the disk is only 60gb! Tried shrinking, extending, basically every suggestion on the net with no success! Luckily we're coming up to the end of the year so I can just wipe it soon and recreate it ready for September...
  17. Yes, I can also see the document in my personal GMail account Docs section, just the notification email delivery fails
  18. Has anyone with Google Apps domain come across the following before: Share a document with someone outside the domain, i.e. a normal GMail address and tick to send the email notification But the notification never arrives and the sender gets the following message:
  19. This is really starting to wind me up! Have a number of users in an OU, linked to a Group Policy which specifies a printer mapping Group Policy user preference. It works fine, however random machines suddenly decide they don't want to map the printers (Typically during exams!!) - The weird thing is, if I then log in as Administrator, restart the 'Print Spooler' service on the workstations then log back in as the user and force a gpupdate the mappings decide to then...map! If I try to add a shared printer manually by browsing to it and double clicking it the machine thinks about it a while then throws an error 'The specified port is unknown' (Before the print spooler restart process mentioned above). Does anyone have any suggestions as I simply cannot be present every exam to go round restarting Print Spooler services! All workstations are Windows 7 in a 2008 R2 domain functional level. The printer (driver) in question if it makes any difference is a HP LaserJet P2015
  20. I bought a McDonalds coffee at 8:20am before work, a train journey and a ringing phone later I manage to drink it at 9:40am, it was still luke warm! Pretty impressive!
  21. Thanks, I'll see about the i3 route (Should be able to get some quoted as we did get some i3 systems from this supplier a couple of years back!)
  22. We have a quote for 3 systems, i5, G620 or E6600 I would think the i5 is overkill for our needs (In most locations your basic Office / Internet / MIS systems etc) - However there is only a £20 difference between the G620 and E6600 and the G620 comes with double the RAM (4GB rather than 2GB). The plan is for SSD drives too. Any suggestions? I've never heard of the 'G' line of Intel processors!
  23. Could anybody assist with the attached error? There is no pattern, it just keeps happening to users! All the process is - They are filling out a form with some text and list box questions and trying to save the changes! My personal opinion is the software is probably very poorly written and not tested well but any ideas would be appreciated!
  24. To be fair the upgrade path from 2008 R2 to 2012 will be a lot easier too, when we had to do 2003 to 2008 R2 it meant just building a lot of servers from scratch and migrating the actual data (SQL etc) over afterwards. Since it was a 32 bit to 64 bit upgrade path.
  25. Thanks for the comments! I think I'll alter my proposal to mention if we can save a few quid on not replacing the entire hardware in certain rooms then we can put the savings into speccing SSD drives for the rooms which do get new hardware!
×
×
  • Create New...