-
Posts
2,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesfed
-
Speak to them about the Gold package - (its the lowest end one). We use Kaviza here and although the price is a little steep the upgrades provided through the support package are very good indeed - now that they are part of Citrix I can well imagine the prices will drop for schools pretty soon.
-
XenDesktop With Windows Live Movie maker
jamesfed replied to mplexo's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Have a look into Microsoft RemoteFX - its expensive but allows GPUs to be used with Virtual Machines (Windows 7 SP1 only). -
We have been 'Metroing' all of our internal sites here recently and this looks good - one thing that I would say though is usaly with the large square tiles the images are commonly pure white (against a coloured background) but then again maybe if we had multiple icon packs it would appeal to all?
-
If you are using Server 2008/2008 R2 load up process explorer and take a look at what processes are using what resources - you may find that SIMS is using a large amount of RAM, CPU cycles, Disk IO (even on a SSD) or any of the combinations. It will also show up what other processes are running - as others have said Anti Virus is the biggest bottle neck and you might find it better to exclude anything to do with SIMS from its normal daily activities.
-
Setting up a network of virtual machines
jamesfed replied to LosOjos's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Just download the Trial Version of Windows Server 2008 R2 from the Microsoft website - I think you can extend the trial to something like 280 days. Also by you combining MCITP with Microsoft and then mentioning VMWare can I assume you actually mean Hyper-V? -
There are components in the Oliver database which define the hostname and IP address. If you ask the Softlink guys for the migration manual (we did so a number of months ago) it should have all you need to get it back up and running.
-
As said above Remote Desktop was never designed to play well with flash video - try playing WMV video and it should do brilliant because it redirects the video to the client which is then played localy. To get good flash playback you should look at something that runs off of Citrix HDX (So XenDesktop/Kaviza VDI in a box) or even Microsoft RemoteFX.
-
Hi Si, Sorry I only know about IIS (infact when I started this job the first thing I did was move all the apache sites over onto IIS (should've seen the performance boost!)). All the same is the expresso site hosted on Apache? Also is that Apache on Linux or a Windows box? James
-
We are always a happy IT Department however all the staff know that any personal jobs come with a price in Chocolate/Biscuits/Alcoholic beverages (which ensures a fast and timely response)
-
Done but with error on the page
jamesfed replied to bodminman's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Further to the above I would say your first point of call is in the RM SafetyNet - if you have a support contact it might be worth a call to RM. -
Done but with error on the page
jamesfed replied to bodminman's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Does the problem happen when you use IE8? Also what do you use for your web filtering - you may find its removing some data thats essential for the page to work. -
I haven't used Expresso (except from Starbucks) however when we do DNS mappings for our IIS sites this is how it works- On IIS Box 1. Load the site in IIS go to bindings and create new binding 2. Create a new HTTP/HTTPS binding allow communication on any IP address 3. In the DNS name box (same window) enter the DNS name that you want that website to respond to e.g. merits.internal. 4. Click ok and then smile On DNS server 5. Open DNS and expand forward lookup zones 6. Expand your DNS school name (ours is fitzharrys.oxon.sch.uk) 7. Right click on your DNS school name and click create new host 8. In the host name box enter the DNS name that you selected in IIS up to the point where you enter your selected DNS name up to the last full stop before your schools DNS name (using example from above that would be merits.internal). 9. In IP address box enter IP address of the IIS server 10. Click ok, sit back and wait for DNS to update.
-
Grand stuff - we used to use 7 on 2008 and it works a treat (make sure you demote your 2000 and raise the forest functional level as well assuming you have no other seriously old machines). I know it’s not of much use and I don't wish to annoy but I would sort out your back end infrastructure (getting the 2008 server up and running) before you chew through any more time on getting 7 working on 2000 - ultimately all of that work will be undone the moment you promote your 2008 to a DC anyway.
-
I know budget might be an issue but personaly I wouldn't even bother that kind of setup (7 on Server 2000) - expecily considering Server 2000 is now outside of even extended support from Microsoft.
-
Sorry if I've got this wrong but- You should be using UNC paths e.g. \\server\year2011\ when mapping the My Documents (and other simlar folders) with Windows 7 (and its best pratice in XP as well) - if you are trying to map it against a network drive it just simply won't work. This UNC process is called 'Folder Redirection' you can find it in the User side of Group Policy.
-
Fudge you beat me to it!
-
Moodle not Mail All the same its a database intensive application so HDDs/RAM will be your best friend. Also what is the processor usage like at the moment for you throughout the day?
-
Is there any kind of large electrical sources near the room? Power transformers ect would be the kind of thing. Also it may sound weird but if you run an extension cable outside of the room and into another (where there is no problems) does the same image issue appear – would suggest problem with power going into that room.
-
Yep I just had HTTP enabled on the IIS site I had setup for HAP - just click on site (left hand side of the IIS window) then on the right click bindings and remove any mention of HTTP and only leave HTTPS.
-
Nothing helpful on first look but something just started a thought process - looked like there was a HTTP binding to the site which was throwing up all the errors. All working now though. Thanks again Nick!
-
-
Hi Nick, Sorry same message as all others - I've done a clean install (at least I belive I have ) but get the attached screen shot message every time. Event viewer (Server 2008 R2/IIS 7) Comes up with the following- WebHost failed to process a request. Sender Information: System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment+HostingManager/63835064 Exception: System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The service '/v7/api/setup' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation. The exception message is: This collection already contains an address with scheme http. There can be at most one address per scheme in this collection. If your service is being hosted in IIS you can fix the problem by setting 'system.serviceModel/serviceHostingEnvironment/multipleSiteBindingsEnabled' to true or specifying 'system.serviceModel/serviceHostingEnvironment/baseAddressPrefixFilters'. Parameter name: item. ---> System.ArgumentException: This collection already contains an address with scheme http. There can be at most one address per scheme in this collection. If your service is being hosted in IIS you can fix the problem by setting 'system.serviceModel/serviceHostingEnvironment/multipleSiteBindingsEnabled' to true or specifying 'system.serviceModel/serviceHostingEnvironment/baseAddressPrefixFilters'. Parameter name: item at System.ServiceModel.UriSchemeKeyedCollection.InsertItem(Int32 index, Uri item) at System.Collections.Generic.SynchronizedCollection`1.Add(T item) at System.ServiceModel.UriSchemeKeyedCollection..ctor(Uri[] addresses) at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost..ctor(Type serviceType, Uri[] baseAddresses) at System.ServiceModel.Activation.WebServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(Type serviceType, Uri[] baseAddresses) at System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(String constructorString, Uri[] baseAddresses) at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.CreateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.ActivateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath) at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.EnsureServiceAvailableFast(String relativeVirtualPath) Process Name: w3wp Process ID: 5080 I could well be wrong in my understanding but in that error message it mentions /v7/api - where v7 is my HAP folder however I dont have a api folder anywhere to be seen (although I think I can see one in your demo setup videos). Either way v6 is running great and thanks for a wonderful bit of software!
-
I used the VMWare one at the time - now adays we are all Hyper-V at my new place however I would instead go with XenConvert instead.
-
Long left my CC4 school but when I got it working I just did a P2V - things may have changed though!
-
A 2k8 R2 install should work fine - here we have System Centre VMM and we have a old server dedicated to Hyper-V testing although most of the non-production virtual machine work we do is done using Virtual Box on local PCs.
