-
Posts
2,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesfed
-
Personally I would save the time and see about getting an updated version - Windows 98 can't last forever and I would love to know how you would go about backing the data up (just one of the many points that you could put across for justifying spending the money to get a newer version).
-
You install the 'Server' side of SCCVM on to one server (can be an existing Hyper-V host) and then you use that to install a management agent on the others (only a small few MB service). Its easy enough to setup just point it in the direction of your servers and it will pickup all the VMs and whatever storage you have configured on that server. Best thing of all is it gives you a healthy overview of what is going on with each of your virtual servers and allows you to control every aspect of Hyper-V on them. Most of using it is click click click done
-
Help needed does anyone have any expertise on RM Storebox?
jamesfed replied to Brassman's topic in General Chat
Unless the drives inside in some form of a RAID array (say RAID 0 or 5) then the server drive is just the same as any normal PCs. When we did the work on our primarys storebox it was just a single IDE drive with 80GB of storage and about 80% fragmentation - first reaction was how on earth is this still running!!- 11 replies
-
- engineer
- researchmachines
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
XenDesktop With Windows Live Movie maker
jamesfed replied to mplexo's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Yep its a case of Rock - You - Hard place. Just have to keep one classroom of conventional PCs around. -
XenDesktop With Windows Live Movie maker
jamesfed replied to mplexo's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Your options are limited to none in that case - it is a bit of a U-turn from your 3rd post asking if there were any other software alternatives. Either way have you considered a hybrid of both conventional PCs and Thin Clients? next year we will be moving to about 1/3rd full fat PCs and 2/3rds thin clients. -
XenDesktop With Windows Live Movie maker
jamesfed replied to mplexo's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Did take a look at the video I posted above? While its not movie maker it does give you the option to use other movie editing software (naturaly theres the cost but at least you still get to roll out VDI). -
Help needed does anyone have any expertise on RM Storebox?
jamesfed replied to Brassman's topic in General Chat
Take the hard drive out of the storebox and put it in a storage enclosure/SATA/IDE kit and then read the data right off of the drive. When we started doing IT for one of the local primarys they had a storebox with a simlar problem and just did the above.- 11 replies
-
- engineer
- researchmachines
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I think we certainly are seeing the rise of the notebook PC - pretty soon though our phones (especially now that Windows 8 is going to be ARM compatible) will be the ones taking over and just as been done already we will just plug our phone in to a dock and that’s your PC. Personally I will always custom build my PCs for the sole reason that I get precisely what I want. In school we have a notebook PC for every teacher (no desktops on the desks) with a healthy supply of desktops and notebooks for the students. The plan is to move away from both as much as possible to thin clients (space saving and so on).
-
Will RM be upgrading to SharePoint 2010?
jamesfed replied to EduMaster's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Office 365 could be your thing. -
Will RM be upgrading to SharePoint 2010?
jamesfed replied to EduMaster's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
At the speed RM updates things? It could take a while. -
My take on the same idea - as a WP7 user and someone who likes the idea of Metro/Microsoft Surface I've been trying to keep to the idea which Microsoft is using of 'Content not Chrome' so the way I see it the drive icons are secondary to the drive titles. Either way just an idea to help the creative process along
-
I would setup a iSCSI connection from the NAS box to whatever file server you use (should work on things greater than 2003R2 as well) and then run the whole thing from that - the client PCs will see the files as coming from the server and your problems will all go away.
-
I like Bing its the default on our student internal homepage and the staff default will be switching in a few weeks. Either way maybe its Microsoft’s AV getting in the way again like it did with Chrome............... PS not a real suggestion of something to look into.
-
Usually in the morning at work I'll have a browse around the web at the tech sites out there (BBC/Crave/Toms Hardware/not to mention EduGeek!) but from Monday I won't be reading Crave Cnet. After the amount of bias towards the iPhone 4S (obviously this is bias in my opinion and I shall admit as being bias towards anything Microsoft) I feel that I am only polluting my mind with yet more rubbish (than I do anyway!). Here are the two articles which got most under my collar- Windows Phone Mango coming to O2 and Orange now | Crave | CNET UK and most recently- Apple iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S2 | Crave | CNET UK This isn't like some people saying OMG Facebook has changed I hate it! This has been a long term build up to what I can only say is poor journalism (which in fact I've spotted a few times on the BBC site recently) so there it is...the school firewall wont be seeing any more traffic going to that domain Oh and RIP Mr Jobs - I may not like Apple but he was a good force in the world.
-
Mix of the HP DL165 G7s and the HP DL385 G7s here - with the AMD 8 core processors at the same price of the Intel 4 or 6 core processors. If you are simply coming across a 4GB RAM limit are you using a 32bit or 64bit Server OS? (e.g. 32bit might be Server 2003 while 64bit would be Server 2008 R2). If you are just using a 32bit OS then you might be able to get away with upgrading the RAM in your server box and doing a fresh OS install of Server 2008 R2.
-
We have 3x 500Gb VHDs drives attached to our file storage VM and are having no issues backing them up with Microsoft SC DPM with them running on a Hyper-V server.
-
Test post using WP 7.5 Mango - all looking goood.
-
[windows phone 7] Windows Phone 7.5 Mango Released to Users
jamesfed replied to SYNACK's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
It will take a few goes but its well worth the 15mins you will spend doing it -
[windows phone 7] Windows Phone 7.5 Mango Released to Users
jamesfed replied to SYNACK's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Did the forced update here on my HTC Pro 7 and worked a treat as well I know plenty of people who have looked and gone oooh its a HTC (thinking my phone is a droid) only for me to show off WP7.5 instead -
To be totally honest (and I think this has been mentioned before) surely the time would be better invested in making the mobile site better? With so many platforms out there (iOS, BlackBerry, Android and WP7) it seems like a lot of work would be needed to cater for everyone where a decent mobile site and maybe an improvement to email notifications would serve all platforms much better.
-
We have set out AV to run on all new write operations and to do a nightly full scan of everything - it keeps the AV CPU usage low to around 3% on our file server. I would imagine you have it setup to do a scan on all reads as well - if you have romaing profiles/large number of users that is just going to hammer your drives and CPU when people are logging in.
-
XenDesktop With Windows Live Movie maker
jamesfed replied to mplexo's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Have a look here - Video Editing with Citrix HDX on a Linux Thin Client - YouTube It would work with your XenDesktop VDI as well -
Reason why - http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/83089-rm-job-cuts.html
-
I've been saying for a long time that RM are failing because they have their fingers in too many pies. They should cut everything down to PCs + Laptops (leave servers to the real bods like HP/Dell), RM CC and the KLP and leave it at that.
