Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. I've just put a stat counter tracker on our site and we don't seem to be getting that many page hits (about 66 over the past 30 minutes or so) all from what looks like genuine traffic so I think @glennda might be right about it being the server that the site is hosted on. Time to get a hold of the bug bear that is RM! If in the new FY I can get our web hosting moved away from them we will only be left with one RM service
  2. Just been taking a peak at our RM hosted website bandwith usage (first time ever) and I was shocked to see that we are aparently chewing through 200-400TB (yes TB!) a month. Our site (Welcome to the Frontpage) isn't overly image heavy (besides the gallerys) and the only downloads are PDFs (no videos ect) so I was wondering if this is the norm or if I should be calling RM and asking for some more detailed stats.
  3. Have been trying to push this on others here for a while now We have one in use at the moment and will be registering another when we get back.
  4. Its all for the best fun Should see what our backup 'server' is at the moment, little more than a custom build PC with a Athlon II processor and 4GB of DDR3 to see it through the night - cost about £340 to make and after its finished its life as a server it will go in some poor souls office.
  5. Ooops! Do count yourself yours is SAS based - our old SCSI tape drive is as slow as anything.
  6. Which device drivers are you using? The backup exec guys usaly say to use the ones that they provide so that could be your first step.
  7. Photos as requested. Noticed when taking them that one of the power leads on the A120 trolly has been broken off but all others are in working condition.
  8. My intent is to run our DCs and File Server off it next year - going to be pushing all of our VMs over onto a server core install as well. As far as faster goes -it will at the very least use less RAM as there is no GUI to run, less need for downtime/pacthing on a DC/File Server should help a few things as well.
  9. Not that I would be able to offer this to you but why only RM CC3/CC4? Just as a FYI (and others will support/kick me about this) but RM is slowly disappearing from quite a few schools and so you might want to expand into Vanilla networks as well.
  10. Never used it but is that not what the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit is for?
  11. Hi all, we've been slowly reducing our complement of notebooks in the school and as such have 2x Lapcabby trolleys that we would like to get rid of. Both are in good working order one of which has Toshiba 20x built in chargers for the A120 notebook PC and the other has Toshiba 20x built in chargers for the Satellite Pro L20 (although I can well imagine they are compatible with other models). I’m not expecting a great deal for them and in fact would almost be happy to give them away if any buyers would like to arrange postage/collection (as ultimately they are just chewing through space in the server room). Location is Abingdon, Oxfordshire. Any questions just post them here or PM and I will answer as best as I can.
  12. 6950 all the way Its what I've got in my PC and still haven't been able to max it out - although I probably could with more displays.... all the same its a great bit of kit.
  13. Staff use our VPN so they never come accross it. For the students they love it - so simple and quick (runs on praticly anything phones included as well!) just need to make sure they are educated in how to use it so make sure you get your IT Teachers onboard!
  14. Just publish it as you would any other site in TMG - the HAP software its self is a IIS website and there are plenty of details on the HAP+ codeplex page as to how to set it up.
  15. Move on up to Hyper-V and setup DPM - as your a school both System Center Virtual Machine Manager and DPM 2010 will be as cheap as chips. For your tape drive your only real option is to look at getting higher capacity tapes.
  16. Runs over HTTPS so is as secure as you need - uses the same login username/password as you use for AD and works with TMG (we have it here as well). You can setup TMG to also perform in transit AV scanning of anything your students are up/downloading.
  17. jamesfed

    Lonely

    The Sci teacher comes up to visit every now and again (by visit I mean see if I've got my PC in to play Crysis) which is always a good laugh - but with the NM and I its never a dull day! Would be nice to see the SMT dropping by now and again but hey what can you do!
  18. Thanks for giving us the heads up on the fix Ours came with the latest BIOS flashed to the device - guess I might have to bring my PC from home just in case on our next SSD deployment.
  19. About £440 ex VAT
  20. Can I assume u've looked at this - hp proliant DL580 G3 -illegal opcode
  21. Just to add my 2p - we have, use and love TMG 2010 Looks after our web filter, in trainsit AV scanning, SSTP VPN and handles the firewall for various other things. Runs on a Hyper-V virtual machine and works a treat with an average usage of about 6GB RAM. A few little things - have you checked the NIC drivers on your Virtual Host? Check they are up to date and consider having a play around with some of the driver settings.
  22. Yeah I think you are looking at a BIOS thing there - in theory there is nothing HP can do to stop you using a PCI-Express card (thats why its so good against using 3.5"/2.5" drives as the RAID controler can block unkown drive types).
  23. No issues at all other than enabling some AMD specific PCI-Express setting in the BIOS. As the DL380 is a Intel server you might want to have a look around for something similar. Also I've never heard of a red screen of death - is it a HP specific thing or does your server get as far as booting into windows?
  24. I don't know about the ReadyNAS boxes but in the QNAP boxes there is a display of RAM and CPU usage - could take a look to see if there is something simlar to see if there is something taking up the resources of the box.
×
×
  • Create New...