Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. Although you justify your response in that you suggest people trust your Root CA your web browser (in the first instance) still throws up a big 'ERROR - You reeeealy shouldn't be doing this'. What you suggest people then do is 'download a bit of software' to fix all their PCs problems. I don't know about others but that sounds just like the way that way to many extra bits of unneeded and potentially malicious software makes its way on to peoples PCs - by suggesting they download something to make things work. Also in the grand scheme lets think about mobile devices (tablets/phones) - you can't always install the Root CA on these and even if you could you are getting your users to jump through hoops just because you want to save £50 a year.
  2. Those scores are just taking into accout raw CPU power - the AMD Fusion processors are a lot more and can out perform Intel on anything that uses the graphics core (which is built into the CPU).
  3. @Luke_T To be honest the HP Microserver (all in my opinion) is aimed at small businesses of less than 10 people who just want a file share...nothing more nothing less than a place to dump files. Also take it from the POV that HP has made the Microserver so that it makes a loss in the short term (if they can churn those things out for £100 a go then I'd love to know how!) but in the long term small businesses which grow will be looking at HP again for their next big server (instead of considering the alternatives) because they know HP kit works. Now having said that our IT club does have one and they have everything running on it (AD/DNS/WSUS/WDS ect) however where are your options for future expansion? Also if you are not on site all the time you want something which you will know will be of server class hardware (longer life span ect) - although I am a avid supporter of AMD the Athlon Neo was never designed for use in a server. Now you have asked for suggestions and everyone here has said so far that you need more – it isn’t because we want you to waste money its because in our experience you do actually need that extra boost to make a good server. Also the server spec I listed above was only £1000 when we got it and I could well imagine you could get more for less now.
  4. We kitted our last new server in a primary out with the following- HP ML110 G6 Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.8ghz 4GB DDR3 2x1TB SATA HDD Runs Windows Server 2008 R2 with AD, DNS, DHCP, File Store, WSUS, WDS and everything else (besides mail/SIMS) like a charm. There is a planned upgrade to 8GB RAM next year though. For you I would suggest something along simlar lines (8GB RAM for SBS is a must!) - maybe go with a 2x10k SAS for the OS/Applications and then normal SATA for the data store.
  5. Total opposite here - I'm not a fan of the software (why it can't be redesigned to run on IIS I don't know!) however whenever we have any issues we call them up and 20mins later someone is on fixing it (and they do that bit well). Not so long ago we migrated Oliver from one server to another (did it ourselves from their manual) and they were more than happy to finish the job when it wasn't running right.
  6. Not that I wish to hijack the thread but is it a speed issue? If so check if your AV on your servers is set to scan on any data reads - this slows things down wayyy to much. If thats not it then do post it up someplace.
  7. Works great here backs up at least 10x faster to tape than BackupExec (but then again I always thought there was something wrong with the install).
  8. Sorry just saw the video - my best bet however is that this is the PC on 'tablet mode' and that when switched to 'desktop mode' you would get the normal start menu as we all know and love (well semi!). Either way as you said all guess work till the preview is out.
  9. On that link thers another photo of the normal start menu in some of the photos though?
  10. Just along the lines of the above quote when we got the SSL for Home Access we did it to minimise the confusion to the students when logging in - origionaly the SMT wanted to save the cash but we soon brought them round as to how little it costs.
  11. Not to discount you but it can be seen clearly in this video - Improving our file management basics: copy, move, rename, and delete - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
  12. Just to clear any misunderstandings up the Tablet UI can be made the default but can veryyy easily be turned off in favour of the desktop UI - I can well imagine that Microsoft will create a GPO to turn this off (and make it hidden like you can with Media Centre) anyway. Personally as a Windows Phone 7 user this does look very good and would be something compelling for me to have a look at another Tablet PC (ex Asus R2H owner here!) especially if someone can make something like the Acer Icona with a AMD Fusion processor and some SSD inside
  13. Plain and simple answer is yes - it will work when you create the new virtual network tick the box that says 'share with computer management' (can't remember the precice text). There are reasons not to namely dedicating a NIC will ensure that your VMs get the full potential of any bandwith provided.
  14. GoDaddy has UC certs (multiple domains) going for £45.99/year if you pay for 3 years up front. We've only got a single domain with them but nothing to complain about.
  15. Hi all, Over the past few days I've had a few emails from various suppliers about discounts they have on various servers/notebooks/ect and I was wondering if anyone out there either in Education or the Bis world had ever actually taken part in one of these offers? Not that we are looking for kit but I would find it very hard to find a need for a new server and I would guess even those in need of a new server would be looking at their own ideas and not paying attention to such emails? The one and one only time when I personally used one of these offers was when the £100 cash back on the Micro servers came out but then again that’s only a price of £200 half of which you get back - certainly not a £3k server! So anyone any insights?
  16. By the sounds of it if you don't fix this problem there is the potential for something to go bang anyway. Obviously we aren’t in your shoes and don't know the true nature of what is going on but I would seriously take the advice of increasing the range and making this problem go away without having to muck around with short releases.
  17. Its not as fast but would this work for you- OCZ Technology 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Gold Low Voltage (OCZ3G1333LV4GK) - dabs.com This used to be my fav kind of OCZ DDR3
  18. I'd say they are a dud - no real obvious signs of their presence on Google other than people asking the same question you have there. One thing that might help you in your quest for RAM - OCZ stopped making RAM some time ago so their sticks are bound to be rare, although my preference was always OCZ I am now looking a others for an alternative and I would suggest you do the same.
  19. Ours is basically a SAS box using dual port SAS cables to hook into the back of the servers, we then have 4x2TB in the servers themselves which handles AD/File storage and I have a backup internet connection virtual machine ready on the local storage. Its a bit of a weird setup so you might want to wait for others to throw in their 2p
  20. Sorry on the hardware front we have 2x HP DL165 G7s and a SAS storage array - 8 core AMD Opterons and haven't seen any more than 20% processor usage. Very small 1U rack mount servers that run a school of 800 students and 100 staff.
  21. VMware is just the same as any OS (Windows Server or otherwise) and it does indeed run an OS - as such you need to store that OS on something (either conventional drives or a SSD/SD card/USB stick). Arrange your hard drives in a way that makes sense for you - here we have a high speed 8x15k SAS storage array for applications that need high read/writes (web filter and cache/databases/ect) and then 4x2TB 7.2K drives for our shared storage (Staff drives/ect). P2V will (or at least should) work with any hardware as it creates a 'snapshot' of your server at any given time and converts it into a virtual hard disk file. Here we use Hyper-V as our virtualisation software, I don't know if you have looked into it but if you buy a copy of 2k8R2 Enterprise you are then entitled to run up to 4 virtual machines on that server and then if you go up to datacentre you are entitled to unlimited virtual machines. Mix this in with System Centre Virtual machine manager and boom you have a very good virtual infrastructure for much less than the cost of VMware.
  22. Do ignore my post I thought the lines were just out onto the web and not direct into the school site.
  23. Ahh nice going - to be honist my biggest thing with RM was slow updates and out of date software. So the XP SP3 update that seemed to take forever and skipping 2k8. If it wasn't for that then someone might be able to win me over but if I were still at a CC4 school I'd be saying too little too late! Then again all in my opinion and I know (as you said) there are others out there who love it.
  24. Not that I'm interested in RM stuff but this one took me by surprise! I just found out that CC4 is now supported on Server 2008 R2. Here comes my 'I hate RM so much' 2p - Too bad Windows Server 8 (2012/whatever they are going to call it) is just around the corner... Either way anyone have any experience of it?
  25. Sounds like its a VPN connection setup that is needed (all feeding into your main site) - this way you could share secure services without having them posted on the internet.
×
×
  • Create New...