Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

dwhyte85

Members
  • Posts

    1,314
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dwhyte85

  1. Sleet in Slough, I'm glad... otherwise I'd be uploading resources for staff to the VLE all day from home - like last year!
  2. You guys are baddd!
  3. Wait, inviting 2 people from miles away for interview... naughty.
  4. I'm fed up with kids bullying me for my gear score, time for a transfer to RP server possibly.
  5. Nowhere yet, notice period meant I had to take a risk - else, I might be at the school for the rest of my life
  6. My current role, I am leaving Feb. Good to see they've upped the pay slightly - my feedback was taken on-board. Click here Have a very capable technician and very eager trainee, I didn't write the advert! A few pointers: - Netbook per year 7 (IC), scripted VBS to XP Home (no budget for pro, may be in April as have had discussions about it) - Mac Suite disconnected from domain (by media team choice, soon to be migrated to new build) - Netbook per VI former, weekly checks of all laptops. - Sophos EM, Sophos Filtering, Studywiz, Exchange 07, XP network (Win 7 in testing by the tech at the moment & deployment) on 2003 domain but 3 new servers 2008 and 1 ESXi. - ESXi installed and setup, will replace a few servers. - Office 2003, 2007 popping up occasionally (for those who need it) - Network of around 250 desktops & 400 laptops/netbooks - Ruckus deployed - New build nearly finished with more machines to come in (internet cafe). - Maintenance of the old website, will be project to make new website, this may be done before the new starter. - Intranet based on Joomla - Academic mentoring based on google docs - not sure if this will stay an ICT job - All rooms have IWB+Proj, some projs are aged and i've mentioned that some are in need of replacement because of age and compatibility. - Core network equip needs a full refurb, has grown massively and has been added to incrementally and it's a bit of a mess - no money to change the core - yet. - Sims patch/upgrade management & SamLearning accts. - Netbooks Samsung NC20s, NC10s and N130s - no plans for refreshes on these, mainly Tosh laptops, HP desktops and some real old RM Catalysts (no rm software!) as whiteboard machines. - Trainee maintains a booking system which he made in Excel/VBA - Spiceworks as the helpdesk, not using for network inventory. Anything else you'd like to know, feel free to send me a PM. It is a good role, I've just... had my time at the school - had a very bad year and that's no fault of the schools. I need a change of scenary and am leaving the school on good terms. Alot of room setups, putting speakers in rooms & toggling for projector outputs - all of the normal types of thing. It's a very busy job, very hands on - be prepared for some busy days and some last minute requests.
  7. If you want to simplify, Wordpress is really easy to hack and slash about with and very easy to manage from a content POV. You can see some good community sites that use Wordpress and say, PHPBB forums if a forum is a necessity. I like joomla, I use it as our intranet but trying to show admin staff how to use it... is difficult, to say the least. Students may find it easy as they're probably doing alot of this everyday without realising it but staff is hard!
  8. It looks really nice... had a quick go on it, I am failing to see what exactly happens on the cloud other than replication of settings? It has some cool apps like dropbox which uses the cloud. Maybe I have my definition of cloud wrong!
  9. Today???
  10. Mine is working - I did have to fiddle abit in the bios but, works OK, i don't have 4.1 though
  11. We go direct to Capita for support They remote connect if they can't solve it over the phone or e-mail (normally they'll bung over a patch), issues are always resolved quickly but it helps if you are a bit technical to help as they guide you. One instance they've not found a fix quickly was with something we had with timetabling... this was fixed in a seasonal release - we had to wait a bit for that one, but it wasn't really critical they did give a work around.
  12. Is this for business or pleasure? Business wise, Ramesys are really very cheap as are Ollis (sp.?), all of the resellers on here will give competitive quotes though. If you are to go and buy licenses for yourself, at home - it is quite expensive at PC World, etc. If you buy Windows 7 off of eBay... check you've got a legit copy.
  13. My DL380 does it pretty well, but I decided he'd be better as CentOS
  14. https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/ You need to sign up to get access to it, the bit you're concerned with is ESXi 4.1 - not sure on the specs required but it has a tiny footprint, burn the ISO and install from disc. Follow instructions and that's pretty much it.
  15. My P-Edge 2850 is running ESXi - that's a free VMWare product that installs directly as an OS for the server, I don't like it as much as ESX but I'm poor. It's easy to use.
  16. When will schools learn? Flashy new kit is nothing without a team behind it to support it, this 40K gear of kit will be OK for you to support within warranty (maybe not, depends on what you're buying)... if this gear is EXTRA to what you currently have, then where does the time to support it come from? AFTER warranty periods where you're supporting this, things are breaking... you're repairing them yourself that's more time you need to be finding whilst maintaining the service you provide + old kit.
  17. Works on our super duper extra fast & new connection in Slough from Easynet.
  18. Which VLE? studywiz Inhouse or Hosted? internally What percentage of Teachers are using the VLE, 10%, 50%, 90%?? 10-20% How easy is it to administer? Fairly, some gotchas Does it integrate with the MIS properly? It can, but it uses third party software to do so Is it expensive ?, I know how long is a piece of string but....I think renewal was 3000, not 100% sure What do you use if for, - notices, lessons, homework, quizes, coursework, revision, reporting to parents? Homework mainly, ICT teachers use for lessons and submitting work
  19. Kingston KTD-WS667/4G 4GB Server RAM (2 x 2GB sticks) Have been buying a few servers off of eBay and purchased the wrong RAM for my slightly ages P-Edge that I won. Opened box to see it was wrong type, other than that new. Will throw in 2 x 1GB sticks of the same type which were second hand from eBay too. £65.00 inc. delivery.
  20. If you kept it mounted using MagicDisc it holds it mounted after reboot - I use it myself on my home servers (and it's freeware). Re-read, now I see what you mean... but, you can connect to a 'local device' on the machine and it creates one of those... if you see what I'm getting at?
  21. If they can be potentially fixed, I don't think people will give them freely
  22. From my own experience, be prepared for a brick wall. You will say service will suffer and they will say that's OK, staff will have to deal with it... but you know full well teachers will not see it that way. If they're adding responsibilities like TA, you might see a change in job description and they'll have to offer training and CPD for that, but from my own dealings... if something it is IT (it doesn't matter how vaguely related to IT), your original job description will have covered the duties of the other member of staff... e.g, if he does admin duties like updating a spreadsheet for the big bossman - they may consider it IT when, we may say it's an admin job. Be prepared for battle, it could take a while to get what you consider satisfactory medium ground. They may suprise you and recruit another member of staff and you only cover in the meantime?
  23. An original camera phone http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jmHszbZjmRI/TBdXIs1MnxI/AAAAAAAAAII/-31SvDRdorg/s320/nokia5110camera.jpg
  24. 5110 was around that time, I remember trying to conceal it at school... it wasn't a gun, I wasn't pleased to see anyone... it was just that big
  25. HAHAHA!
×
×
  • Create New...