sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Windows 7 renamed our user network folders to my documents
sidewinder replied to dombera's topic in Windows 7
It is pretty annoying. I don't mind getting around it by typing the username in the path bar, but teachers are used to having read access to students directories for marking etc - they are obviously a bit puzzled when they now see hundreds of my documents. Think we're just going to move all the My Docs into another folder with username on it during half term -
lol..agreed, the public are idiots. I include myself in this if I ever had to air my opinion on TV, which I wouldnt
-
I got up, had 1 second of celebration, then went back to sleep. A momentous occasion
-
Dont cheap supermarket suits look, well, cheap? Machine washable or not. A friend bought one from Asda a while ago and it was super shiny..looked dreadful
-
Is there a way to deploy an Office language after installation?
sidewinder posted a topic in Windows
God knows how it has happened, but the version of Office 2010 we have deployed, while having English as the editing language, has nothing installed as the proofing language, so no spellchecking can be done! (I'm quite annoyed by this as it is, I followed all the steps to customise the install, why was this not part of it?) I've found plenty of documentation about adding languages to the initial install, but obviously I dont want to reinstall it over 900 times just for a language install! Or would setup be clever enough to realise that was the only change? The documentation I have mentions using the config.xml file, is this the best method? -
Looks much cooler on FF than IE. Balls stay the same size on IE
-
Certain memory sticks no longer work for students
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows 7
Sophos is running...but wouldnt expect that to be doing anything. We used to use USBDLM but havent redeployed it yet. Interesting, I didnt know any did that! But I would imagine it's not that as it works if I'm logged on -
Whatever its for, its pretty cool
-
Certain memory sticks no longer work for students
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows 7
No..well some might be, but I saw some students trying to use theirs and they were either Kingston ones or some generic brand -
Well we sorted this in the end, for some obscure reason, re-registering all the IE8 DLL files solves it Used this script: Internet Explorer FAQ - IE8 (IE7) reparieren (in German, but its easy enough to work out)
-
Certain memory sticks no longer work for students
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows 7
They're all switched off every night via a script...however I will check the ones I know are affected in case they havent been - all are desktops rather than laptops -
Yeah its the kind of thing you ideally want to do when you set up the domain. Ours is currently set to a random name which I dont like but for the same reasons I cant change it. Though tbf I've got most things using their own service accounts these days
-
Certain memory sticks no longer work for students
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows 7
Thanks...I will have a look at that. It seems to only affect certain hardware, which is odd. Just tried on a laptop up here, expecting to be able to replicate it not working, but every stick I've tried has worked! Weird -
Congrats!
-
I started watching it a while ago...then stopped as I realised it probably needed a lot more concentration than I was giving it! Does look good though
-
I'm sure they'd go on Ebay. Not old enough to be useless thats for sure
-
Never had a problem under XP but a rather ugly problem has reared its head with 7 - some brands/types of memory sticks will not install automatically for students - so nothing happens and they cannot access them. However some work fine. I dont see how this is happening...all the drivers are Windows drivers so if it can install some, why not the others? All the affected ones work fine with an admin account logged on. Is there a GPO setting we have missed?
-
I tend to have it about 19-21 in the winter and 18-19 in the summer. It should probably be the same all year round I guess, but it feels a lot hotter in the summer
-
Ah, scrap that, it works when the 'white screen' patch is applied...phew! If anyone needs it (took me a while to find their support area) - Hangs on white screen upon launch? Thats for Maths but the others can be found
-
Has anyone had any problems with Activeteach/Activebook? It seems to fail with 'Library not registered' whether it's locally installed or run from the network (which worked fine on XP) It's something I thought I had tested but obviously havent and now Maths staff are quite desperate to use it...whoops
-
To do: Firefight Fix final few niggly problems with Windows 7 Deal with angry staff with regards to why xxx piece of software does not run under Win7
-
Oh, and I can't actually attempt to remove any drivers to try anf find a troublesome one, since every time, even when logged on as local admin with no printers using that driver installed, I get access denied when I try and remove it Booting into safe mode to attempt it (something I'm sure worked in XP) shows no drivers installed at all in print management
-
This is probably going to be a major problem if I cant find a fix.. On some (not all) of our Windows 7 machines (which is now all 900!) devices and printers shows up completely empty. At first I thought this wasnt a huge problem, as the printers are actually there - they show up when you print from an application. But I've found out that it also stops you safely removing a usb drive, as it is classed as a device and doesnt show up. Also it is just very annoying. Searching for a solution only ever seems to come up with 'enable the bluetooth support service' which I can catagorically say does NOT solve the issue for us. We think it may be a dodgy driver (probably HP!), since I did find someone on a forum suggesting something to that effect...but there doesn't seem to be any big pattern to where it happens, and obviously I cant really go checking hundreds of computers to see where it occurs. Anyone else come across this? Please say its not just us
-
Doesn't seem like a particularly good use of your time! Granted you can do plenty via RDP but still, I doubt you can get much done if the phone is continually ringing
-
I dont own one, but I filled it in for my dad who does, I know why he bought one
